• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

TISHA B'AV (August 1st, 2017) a day to remember!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
TISHA ‘B’AV , WHY? HOW?

…Tisha’B’Av, or the “9th of Av” , falls on August 1st, 2017 this year. It is a time of sadness, sorrow, The question begins with “Eiha? (how) and “Lamah” (why?). The book of Lamentations begins with “Eiha” (how) “How alone she sits, the city (Jerusalem) once great with people….” It is customary to read the five chapters of Lamentations during this time.

…..The voice of Yirimyahu (Jeremiah) after the destruction of the 1st Beit HaMikdash (Temple) and the city of Jerusalem by the Babylonians in 586 B.C.E the destruction culminated on the 9th of Av, (Tish’B”Av) This date marks the tragedies of many destructions in the history of Am Israel. Here’s a list, the destruction of the 1st temple is the first.

…..70 A.D. the Roman emperor Titus, destroys the second temple and murders millions of Israel’s inhabitants and 100,000 taken captive to Rome, those taken captive to Rome are used as sport in the arena, and others served as slaves. Many others from Jerusalem fled the country, going to Europe, Africa, and other parts of the world.

…..1095 A.D. Crusades, started by the church in Europe, main goal to kick the moors out of Jerusalem, many crusaders were anti-Semitic, during this time, 40% of Europe’s Jew’s were destroyed, one important event happened in Mainz, Germany. There were 700 Jews living in that city at that time. They sought refuge in a large church to be protected from the crusading murderers. The Bishop at that time was kind and accepted to hide the Jews in the church. The Jews had given the Bishop all their valuables in exchange. To no avail. The crusaders entered Mainz, discovered their hiding place, murdered all of them including the Bishop. Some say that the Jews there committed suicide rather than falling into the hands of the crusaders.

…..1478 The start of the Spanish inquisition by Pope Nicolas, many Jews had to renounce their faith and accept Christianity, if not, they would be tortured and killed. This of course is not “real Christianity” rather “Pseudo or false Christianity. Those who were genuine/real believers and followers of Jesus, would never do such atrocities against God’s anointed people.

…..1492 The expulsion of the Jews from Spain on the 9th of Av. Many went to England and to other countries in Europe, later on, many came to the Americas and settled in Mexico, Central and South America. By that time, many families had lost their Jewish identity, but now, many are finding it again.

…..1635 “Pogroms” or persecutions against the Jewish people starts in Poland

…..1939 The “holocaust” or “Shoah” begins in Nazi Germany. Result? We all know, 6,000,000 Jewish people were killed by forced labor, starvation, and just “shot or gassed” in the concentration camps, just for being Jews.

…..1978 11 Palestinians land in a small Kibutz in Israel by sea. They hijacked a bus, killed the driver and drove towards Tel Aviv. On the way to Tel Aviv, they used weapons fire and threw hand grenades out the windows at people on the street, and the result was 38 Israelis killed.

…..2012 A rabbi in Rutherford, N.J. was at home during the night with his wife and 5 children. An arab boy outside threw a molotov bomb through the living room window to kill the family and burn down the synagogue that was part of the house. (Molotov bomb: a glass bottle filled with gasoline and a rag, the rag is lighted and the bottle is thrown).

During the time of Tisha b’Av many will sing this song;

“Look from the heavens and see, we have become an object of scorn and contempt among the nations. We are regarded as sheep to the slaughter, to be killed, beaten and destroyed. But despite this, we have not forgotten your name, we beg you not to forget us!”

…..We regard this time as a time of sadness and grief, but we must also remember this time as a time of survival, and a time to get out of “spiritual exile” It is a time to “return home to Abba” a time of “teshuvah”. Our ancestors in ancient Israel committed spiritual adultery, going after pagan gods, went away from the ways of Torah, despite of the warnings of God, God looked down and warned our people, finally, the punishment ensued yet Elohim has not and will NEVER reject his people, the remnant that survived is now in the millions, in every nation of the world. It is time to return, return to G-d, return to the ways of his Torah, return to the “Living Torah”

Ben Avraham

Active
I have a question For you Jimmie in the book of revelation where it talks about the fall of Babylon and mystery Babylon, do you see it as the literal Babylon the one that is ruined and situated in Iraq or, do you interpret it as another city?

Also, what do you believe the abomination of desolation is? What did Jesus mean when he said let the reader understand. Since there is no temple there now. I mean there is the site but there is no holy place in jerusalem there since we are now his living temples of the holy spiriit, and we dont need to sacrifice bulls and goats anymore, we believers are his living sacrifices.

I mean will the new Jerusalem, the holy city ever come to earth as in John's vision or do the jewish people still believe they literally have to build it themselves.

Just would like to know as different christians seem to believe different things about that. I dont know many Jewish people they tend to keep themselves in my country and many are very wealthy and in high positions in the world, and they dont really let on they are jewish or want to hang out with other christians. They also ask you to pay them if you want to visit their synagoge, so I dont know about that -its free to visit church.

If you are a believer your family is also my family cos we are one in Christ. I love reading about the history of Jesus ancestors in the OT. I wish more jewish believers would hang out at all the other churches and not close themselves off from gentile christians. Because the traditions like the feasts etc that have been handed down are very special and we dont have that or the way you still celebrate them at certain times of the year.

Loyal
@Jimmie
Many years ago now, I recall I first learned about the mistreatment of the natural Jews other than the Nazi holocaust. I was already attending university studying Spanish language and literature when I read about the expulsion of the Jews from Spain in 1492. From there, even though I was not active follower of Jesus at the time, my interest in the very special place of Jews even in secular history grew. What other group of people anywhere was dispossessed of its native land for even close to 2000 years and then reconnected and reestablished in that land?

Not only that, but as your short OP indicates, the persecution of the Jews was a continuous world-wide thing instigated in many nations over the centuries by many people including as you stated many who labeled themselves as Christians. People worked hard to destroy the remnant of that chosen people of God, but God always retained a remnant.

"What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?" Rom 8:31

Give God the glory!

Active
I have a question For you Jimmie in the book of revelation where it talks about the fall of Babylon and mystery Babylon, do you see it as the literal Babylon the one that is ruined and situated in Iraq or, do you interpret it as another city?

Also, what do you believe the abomination of desolation is? What did Jesus mean when he said let the reader understand. Since there is no temple there now. I mean there is the site but there is no holy place in jerusalem there since we are now his living temples of the holy spiriit, and we dont need to sacrifice bulls and goats anymore, we believers are his living sacrifices.

I mean will the new Jerusalem, the holy city ever come to earth as in John's vision or do the jewish people still believe they literally have to build it themselves.

Just would like to know as different christians seem to believe different things about that. I dont know many Jewish people they tend to keep themselves in my country and many are very wealthy and in high positions in the world, and they dont really let on they are jewish or want to hang out with other christians. They also ask you to pay them if you want to visit their synagoge, so I dont know about that -its free to visit church.

If you are a believer your family is also my family cos we are one in Christ. I love reading about the history of Jesus ancestors in the OT. I wish more jewish believers would hang out at all the other churches and not close themselves off from gentile christians. Because the traditions like the feasts etc that have been handed down are very special and we dont have that or the way you still celebrate them at certain times of the year.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Lanolin and Amadeus, thanks for responding,

To answer your questions, The "Mystery Babylon" in Revelation, in my opinion, could be a literal city, rebuilt in Iraq, perhaps, the "Anti-Christ" might have some major operations emanating from there, it could also be the symbol of the "Word of Sin" governed by the Anti-Christ, or everything that comes under his domain, those are two possibilities

The abomination of desolation is when the Anti-Christ enters into the 3rd Temple and sits down in the "Holy Place" an proclaims himself "God" in the flesh. This 3rd Temple has not been built yet, but there are the plans, the materials, everything is ready to build it as soon as the order comes to rebuild it, it will be built sometime in the near future. Yes, we believers are "living sacrifices"

The New Jerusalem is a real city which is in the heavenlies now, but will come to earth and it will either be suspended above the earth or come down and be placed on earth when Yeshua returns, we will have access to it, both gentiles and Jews alike

There are many kinds of Jewish people, some are open minded and friendly, others keep to themselves, others are arrogant and self-righteous. However, I can only speak as a Messianic believer. Many of my ancestors were Jewish, but when I was born, I was adopted into a Lutheran family, and for 18 years, was raised as Lutheran, later on, I discovered the truth about my ancestry. we are all ONE in Messiah Yeshua
both Jews from Israel, Jews from the Gentile nations, and non Jews from the gentle nations, we are all ONE in the family of the Commonwealth of Israel.

I have a friend "Joan" she is from New Zealand, an elderly lady, I met her in Israel, we served together supporting the IDF in Tel Aviv

Active
Interesting thanks. One lady at church was explaining about the biblical feasts and how it all ties in with what Jesus did on the cross but I think because day to day we dont follow the jewish calendar we kind of dont connect it with that.

I mean our months are all differnt and confused, so av and tish and all those months of the year dont really line up with march april or may. It makes more sense to follow the lunar calendar esp when gardening as months are from the waxing and waning of the moon as well as the seasons of the year, but I suppose it gets doubly confusing when you in the southern hemisphere and everyones celebrating easter on autumn and christmas in summer.

The third temple, I dont know, what is the reasoning behind the third temple?! Is it the one described in ezekiel in great detail.
In revelation the ark of the covenant is taken up to heaven.
So Jimmie how would anyone know their ancestors are from the tribe of Judah let alone all the other tribes.,does it go simply by last name, so Jesus surname would have been Judah, just as if someone from the tribe of asher or gad would have name..how does that work? Is it lineage or does it go by region where you are born. Or both.

In the Bible to distinguish Jesus from anyone else called Jesus they specified Jesus of Nazareth.