• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Times and Epochs

Loyal
Have you ever noticed how much the Bible talks about certain time periods?

1 Thes 5:1; Now as to the times and the epochs, brethren, you have no need of anything to be written to you.

Matt 12:32; "Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Matt 13:49; "So it will be at the end of the age; the angels will come forth and take out the wicked from among the righteous,

There will eventually come a day. Call it the rapture, call it the second coming, call it anything you want... but one day the angels will separate the wicked and the righteous.

Matt 28:20; teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Jesus didn't promise to be with the these people "forever"... only until the end of the age.

Mark 10:30; but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions; and in the age to come, eternal life.

We haven't received eternal life yet. (indeed we will all die a physical death unless Jesus returns first) but we receive it "in the age to come".

It seems there will be a "changing of the age" at some point. Kind of like the changing of the guard so to speak.

Luke 20:34 Jesus said to them, "The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage,
Luke 20:35 but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage;

It seems that when the resurrection happens, that's when we move from "this age" to "that age". There will be a different period in time.
Likely even a new Heaven and new Earth at "that time".

Eph 1:21; far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.

I interpret this as.. Jesus is the name above all names... not only in this current time period, but also in the next time period (the millennial reign).

Heb 6:5; and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,

We ourselves may not know when the next age will begin, but it seems it will happen.

Acts 1:7; He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority;

It seems to me as I read this, God has already set a date on His "calendar". He already knows when the age will end, and the next age will begin.

Eph 2:7; so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

Some people call this the "age of the church" and that may be... but if it is... where is the church? What difference are they making in God's kingdom today?
What difference are you making?

Loyal
When will Jesus return? Only God (the Father) knows.

Matt 24:36; "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

Mark 13:32; "But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.
Mark 13:33; "Take heed, keep on the alert; for you do not know when the appointed time will come.

Again, it seems the "appointed time" is already set. It could be today or tomorrow.

John 5:25; "Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.

The phrase in the verse above "and now is" could be interpreted a few different ways. But the resurrection hasn't happened yet, it simply means those
who die in the current age (even when Jesus was speaking these words) will be resurrected.

John 5:28; "Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice,
John 5:29; and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

Loyal
Matt 24:3; As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"
Matt 24:4; And Jesus answered and said to them, "See to it that no one misleads you.
Matt 24:5; "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will mislead many.

It seems even the apostles knew there would come a time, when this current age would end. They seem to think it would coincide with when Jesus comes back.

Matt 24:13; "But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.
Matt 24:14; "This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

It seems one of the requirements is for the gospel to be preached "to all the nations" and after this... "then the end will come". Not the end of time, just the end of this current age.