• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Things that go “Ahhhhh!” in the Night

Things that go “Ahhhhh!” in the Night
by Jessica Blaszczak
March 19, 2006

When I was a teenager, I babysat for a boy who was around 7 years old. We’ll call him Christopher. I usually babysat Christopher on Friday nights and placed him in bed promptly at 9:00 pm.

Now, the first time the following incident occurred, I’m not going to play it cool and say I was the pillar of babysitting strength. Nope, not me. I freaked out. There I was on the phone, as any teenage girl would be, when suddenly, I was horrified to hear blood-curdling screams coming from Christopher’s room. My heart skipped a beat as I looked at the clock—9:30 pm. It couldn’t be Christopher, I told myself. I just placed him in bed. It must have been the TV. But, when I heard the cries again, I immediately knew it was poor Christopher.

I dropped the phone and ran up the stairs to Christopher’s room. What I saw was startling to say the least. Christopher was sitting up straight on his bed, eyes wide open, yelling bloody murder at the top of his lungs. I ran over to him, jumped on the bed, and took him in my arms hoping to stop the horrifying screams. I yelled, “Chris! Chris! Wake up! What’s wrong?” I was practically in tears ready to call 911. Then, all of a sudden, Christopher awoke from the strange ordeal. He looked slowly around the room and asked me what happened. I told him that he must have had a nightmare. Confused, he looked at me and said, “Really? I didn’t have a nightmare.” And immediately fell back to sleep. What the…?

Dazed, I ran downstairs and called his parents. I told his mother what had happened. She calmly replied, “Oh, that. That’s nothing. He always gets night terrors.”

“Night terrors?” I thought. “What the heck are night terrors? And, oh, yeah… Thanks for the warning.”

What are Night Terrors?

Let’s get one thing straight—nightmares and night terrors are not the same thing. In fact, they are very different. On a basic level, nightmares are dreams that a person can vividly remember when they awake. Night terrors, also known as sleep terrors or pavor nocturnus, are not dreams. Pavor nocturnus is a frightening sleep disorder in which a person becomes terrified during a sleep episode, then has no memory of the event after they fully awake.

During a night-terror episode, the person will partially wake up screaming, moaning, or gasping for air. Most of the time, the subject cannot be completely awoken, nor comforted. It is difficult to wake up someone during a night terror, and if left alone, most will simply settle back to sleep without waking. Either awoken or left to sleep, the person oftentimes has no recollection of the episode whatsoever.

Symptoms of Night Terrors

You can usually tell if a person is having a night terror by the bone-chilling screams. Needless to say, it is no fun to have a sleep partner who is prone to this disorder. Other symptoms include—

Sweating
Breathing fast
Rapid heart rate
A look of fear or panic
Large pupils
Confusion
Who are Most Prone to Night Terrors?

Night terrors are most common in children 2 through 6 years old, but can occur at any age. They affect about three percent of children. Episodes usually occur during the first couple hours of sleep, and recur for a couple of weeks. Then, they seem to disappear. The good news is that most children will outgrow night terrors. The number of episodes usually decreases after age 10.

However, this does not mean that everyone will outgrow night terrors. Unfortunatley, adults can experience this problem, too. Although not as prevelent in adults, many older people complain of night terrors when sleeping on their backs.

What Causes Night Terrors?

One cannot definitively say what causes night terrors. In children, emotional stress, high fever, or lack of sleep seem to cause it. Also, evidence has shown that night terrors can be hereditary.

In adults, stress and lack of sleep seem to be triggers, as well as emotional tension and the use of alcohol.

What Can You Do During a Night Terror?

As difficult as this may be (practically impossible if you ask me), do not wake up the person having a night terror. Do not intervene. Let the person scream it out. Unless the person is in danger, do not restrain him or her. If you do try to hold the person, that may cause more confusion and fright.

Instead, try to speak calmly to the individual and tell him or her that you are there. Try to settle the person down with words, not actions. So, in other words, when I screamed “Chris! Chris! Wake up! What’s wrong?” when Christopher experienced a night terror, that was the wrong thing to do. (Try telling that to a scared teenage babysitter!)

How Can Night Terrors be Treated?

As mentioned before, most children will outgrow night terrors. But in the mean time, night terrors are mostly treated by:

entleness and comfort
Disposal of anything nearby that can potentially be harmful
Avoidance of loud movements or voices that might frighten the person further
Although usually unnecessary, some doctors may advise other treatment options, such as counseling or psychotherapy. Others may prescribe Benzodiazepine medications, such as diazepam or the over-the-counter Benadryl elixir.

When night terrors hit, keep in mind that the sufferer is completely unaware that he or she is “dreaming.” They believe the night terror is reality. Then, they wake up as if nothing ever happened. Which leads me to question: Are night terrors more frightening for the person who endures them, or for the person who endures hearing them? I think the verdict is out on that one.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing this article - it was really interesting and informative. I never heard of night terrors. I can't imagine being a parent to a child who has this problem. This will be something to remember for future reference. God bless.

Best wishes,
Snowrose

I wanted to share this after I found it . My son has night terrors . I am glad it helped . Mike

Hey Mike,

I will also keep your son in my prayers, that's for sure.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 - May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.

God bless.
Snowrose

Hi Mike, my daughter suffered from this between 1 year and 3 years. We didn't know what they were until recently, She has outgrown them now praise God! When she would start an episode, about the only thing we could do with her was take her for a drive, watch some cartoons (she wouldn't react to them like she normally would ie - laughter) or anything interesting like a ride on the farms quad bike. They certainly wren't fun to young parents who hadn't a clue.

Now if we can just get our son to sleep all night??!!??

God bless.

My youngest son suffered night terrors , he was 7 when they started . I was to the breaking point because he would actualy run through the house screaming and the look on his face reflected a deep sence of fear. Thanks be to God he finaly stopped haveing them.

I know what you mean . My daughter had one when she was 5 and ran all over . One thing . She was in the top bunk-bed ! That first step broke her arm . She has been in a single bed since then . It was scary but thank God she is over them now [ 13 years old ] . GBU ... Mike

Mike,

God be praised that your daugther is alright now. It sure can be a scary thing to have happen to anyone let alone a child . Its hard on parents to have too go through it also.
In Christ
Rose Mary

I suffered from night terrors as a chil to my teen years they lasted a long time for me. The were not nightly but they were often enough.. Now even in my adulthood I have severe night mares almost nightly...

I have been hurt during these times as wellas others who have tried to comfort me..

One time when I was younger my mom was leaning down to kiss me and at the same time I was having one and I punched her in the face.

I heard that alot of the times children and adults who suffer from these kinds of things have very active imaginations and are creative.

Sounds like the old hags syndrome! I’ve suffered from it.. The first time, was one of the most terrifying night of my life. I almost thought that I could have died, and the fear was so intense.. You could never understand unless, you’ve experienced it.. It feels real. Definitely not the nicest thing in the world, so I empathise with this kid.

I feel sorry for your son, and wish that i could give some decent advice on how to stop this from happening, cause its VERY scary!!

I dont know if it ever goes away... This started when i was about 16-17. The last time it happenned was a few months ago, but now, after researching it.. I know that its all a figment of my imagination..(although it feels real) which makes it less terrifying.

So pretty much.. Its not so much vivid nightmares.. Its when youre entering the hypnogogic (sp?) stage.. Which is the moment just before you enter REM sleep. You could be slowly drifting off to sleep (or waking from) and for some stange reason your brain creates all these weird things.. because its still in dream land.. It combines that with whats real. You wake up, but your paralysed.. You can hear real noises... see real things. (Even smell things too...although i havnt experienced this part)..

I think... that you should give your son some valerian.. Or something which helps sleep..

God bless you, Girl. Reading your post helped me to understand night terrors.

My hubby has night terrors sometimes. I'm not sure, but I think alot of them stem from the Vietnam War. He was only 19 when he went over there, for 1 year. It still affects him alot. I respect him for that.

I need to remember he's been through a lot of things that I've never experienced. I need to be respectful and helpful.

He also says that he had night terrors as a child, especially when he would have a lot of sugar before bed. In fact, his parents came to the place where they would not allow him sweets, and especially chocolate, 1 to 2 hours before bed.

I have nightmares sometimes, but when I wake up, after a minute or so I feel better, although I do remember dreams and nightmares quite vividly.

Thanks again, Girl. God bless you.

yes i suffered from them for years ,my poor parents were a nervous reck i would get out of bed and run around the house screaming ,i ran down the stairs one night so they to block the stairs at night so i wouldent fall down ,
It stoped when i was about 12
although 2 weeks after i had my daughter i was staying at my parents house while recovering from a bad birth, i had one again this time i remember it i was so scared my parents said i woke up screaming for my child , i ran into their room screaming for help they were terrorfied they stayed up all night watching me afterwards
thank god they have stoped now it is a terrible thing to witness as most people do not understand whats happening.
I still cry in my sleep sometimes and the nightmares can be bad but no screaming or late night running

Wowzer. I think that happened to me already... I woke up dizzy, and gasping.. And they told me I was tossing and turning soo much, but I couldn't remember a thing...

God bless you, Girl. Reading your post helped me to understand night terrors.

My hubby has night terrors sometimes. I'm not sure, but I think alot of them stem from the Vietnam War. He was only 19 when he went over there, for 1 year. It still affects him alot. I respect him for that.

I need to remember he's been through a lot of things that I've never experienced. I need to be respectful and helpful.

He also says that he had night terrors as a child, especially when he would have a lot of sugar before bed. In fact, his parents came to the place where they would not allow him sweets, and especially chocolate, 1 to 2 hours before bed.

I have nightmares sometimes, but when I wake up, after a minute or so I feel better, although I do remember dreams and nightmares quite vividly.

Thanks again, Girl. God bless you.

No problems.. Im glad i gave you a better idea.. Night terrors go beyond just bad dreams... they feel more real! Thankfully i havnt experienced one for a while now..

btw...its interesting that, after having chocolate, he would be more likely to have these... Chocolate is high in vitamin B6, and apparently that can really make your dreams feel more real...

This has been a good read for me and the wife, our youngest suffered these for about a year when she was 2/3 she is now 13 and still somtimes has the odd one this really bought some peace to our minds..thanks