• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

The word of God, what is it to you???

Loyal
They are simply the words of Jesus, Holy words that can give life to those who read or hear them. But not all who hear or read them believe them, its those words in action of the believers that either draw people to God or away from Him.

Active
Would love to hear the thoughts of some on what the word of God is to them

thanks

The Word of God holds within it's pages the authority over my life. My life is not my own, it belongs to Christ, I have been bought and paid for.

1 Cor. 6:19-20
"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

When I realize this, life takes on a whole new meaning. With this authority over our lives we see the power of the Word of God.

Heb. 4:12-13
"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do."

The Author of the Word of God is the Holy Spirit. In the words He has written through holy men of God is power, it's alive to the believer and nothing can be hidden from Him. When I read His words I'm being examined, He knows where my heart is, and he knows exactly what I need. He is constantly shaping and forming this wretched sinner into the image of Christ, whatever a poor example I may be.

Loyal
Eph 2:12 In those days you were living apart from Christ. You were excluded from citizenship among the people of Israel, and you did not know the covenant promises God had made to them. You lived in this world without God and without hope. (NLT)

To be without Christ (the Word) is to be without God and to have no hope in this world.

Loyal
We get into trouble when we try to squeeze understanding of the "Word of God" too narrowly.

The Word of God is any time or situation in which God speaks, reveals himself, or directs us. In the days of the early church, the first Christians would have been most familiar with the Word of God associated with the Moses and the prophets. "The word of the Lord that came to Micah of Moresheth..." etc.

But God's most dramatic and unambigous way of speaking to us is through the life and teaching of Jesus Christ. The letter to the Hebrews begins...

In the past, God spoke to our ancestors many times and in many ways through the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us through his Son. He is the one through whom God created the universe, the one whom God has chosen to possess all things at the end.

Jesus is God's final word.

So the Word of God definitly does include the Bible, but it does not mean only the Bible.

God can speak in whatever way he chooses to speak – in the pages of a book, through dreams and visions, audible voices, burning bushes or donkeys, through the life and example of Jesus, through the words of other brothers and sisters in Christ, by the inward prompting of the Holy Spirit, or through words of prophecy. The important thing for us is to be attentive to his voice and be ready to respond.

Active
We get into trouble when we try to squeeze understanding of the "Word of God" too narrowly.

The Word of God is any time or situation in which God speaks, reveals himself, or directs us. In the days of the early church, the first Christians would have been most familiar with the Word of God associated with the Moses and the prophets. "The word of the Lord that came to Micah of Moresheth..." etc.

But God's most dramatic and unambigous way of speaking to us is through the life and teaching of Jesus Christ. The letter to the Hebrews begins...

In the past, God spoke to our ancestors many times and in many ways through the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us through his Son. He is the one through whom God created the universe, the one whom God has chosen to possess all things at the end.

So the Word of God definitly does include the Bible, but it does not mean only the Bible.

God can speak in whatever way he chooses to speak – in the pages of a book, through dreams and visions, audible voices, burning bushes or donkeys, through the life and example of Jesus, through the words of other brothers and sisters in Christ, by the inward prompting of the Holy Spirit, or through words of prophecy. The important thing for us is to be attentive to his voice and be ready to respond.

Hebrews was written to the Hebrews. Jesus spoke to the Hebrews while walking the Earth.
We live by the Pauline doctrine

Active

The bottom line to all of this is that our relationship with Christ is built on the Word of God, there is no other way!

If we don't sustain that relationship with Him through the Words of the Holy Spirit, then when God speaks, it can become very confusing as to who is actually speaking to us.

Loyal
Jesus said that he only speaks what he hears the Father say. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit does speak of His own only what he hears. When God the Father speaks so does the Son and so does the Holy Spirit.

Active
Jesus said that he only speaks what he hears the Father say. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit does speak of His own only what he hears. When God the Father speaks so does the Son and so does the Holy Spirit.

It's for sure that all Three are speaking. In case you misunderstood what I said, let me explain.

When I said, " then when God speaks, it can become very confusing as to who is actually speaking to us" I mean that it might not be God speaking to us as we think. We have to sustain that relationship with Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Loyal
It's for sure that all Three are speaking. In case you misunderstood what I said, let me explain.

When I said, " then when God speaks, it can become very confusing as to who is actually speaking to us" I mean that it might not be God speaking to us as we think. We have to sustain that relationship with Christ through the Holy Spirit.
No problem, I was not responding to your post, I just thought of it as I was reading some of the other responses. I agree that without that intimate fellowship with the Lord God, we can easily hear things not from the Lord.

I have discovered that "answers" only come from "questions" asked. We have not because we ask not.

Active
They are simply the words of Jesus, Holy words that can give life to those who read or hear them. But not all who hear or read them believe them, its those words in action of the believers that either draw people to God or away from Him.

What about the illiterate, all those in the past ,as well as today that can’t read? How about the physical deaf and blind?

'Words in action' means living the Word in deed; the deeds reflect the heart wherein God is (love) and so came the words 'living epistles of Christ.'

Title is no longer reputable; what we see with our eyes will show us the real fruits, which we might have or hopefully someday obtain through God's mercy.

Would love to hear the thoughts of some on what the word of God is to them

thanks
I work with the Word of GOD (Hebrews 4:12-13), and I testify that the Word of GOD is from everlasting to everlasting, the Word is GOD and is Life, understand?
If that which I have heard from the beginning remains in me, I also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father, so what matters and prevails is that which I have heard from the beginning, and let that therefore abides in me.

John the Apostle of my Lord JESUS, said: 1John 2:25-29:

25 And this is the promise that JESUS hath promised us, even Eternal Life- -->Luke 20:35-36 among other biblical references, not human opinions or human perspectives).

26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that SEDUCE you. (see 1Timothy 4:1-2)
27 But the anointing which ye have received of JESUS abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is TRUTH, and is no LIE, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

28 And now, little children, abide in JESUS; that, when He shall APPEAR, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before JESUS at His coming.
29 If ye know that JESUS is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of Him.