• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Christ centered community forums.

Join over 10,000 worldwide members today

Register Log In

• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to night mode (or back to light/default theme) simply click on the "Site Menu" icon on top and on the dropdown choose "Switch to Night Mode" or "Switch to Light Mode"

Thank you.

The "weight" of scripture.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal Member
It seems like there are certain things the Bible emphasizes more than others. This isn't to say some things in the Bible aren't important. That's not what I'm saying at all. But I believe there some scriptures God wants to impress upon us more than other scriptures.

For example there are dozens of verses how to have Christ "in you". But often people will quote only one of them. There are dozens of verses about works, but usually people only quote of them. There are dozens of verses about the resurrection, but usually people can only quote one of them. There are dozens of verses in the new testament about keeping the commandments, but usually these are ignored for one reason or another.

Whenever there seems to be "conflict" between two passages, I would recommend going with the "majority".
I have to say whenever I follow this rule, the verse that seems to be in conflict can always be taken another way that doesn't let the conflict continue.

I personally believe that 100% of all doctrinal conflicts between denominations and people are because people build doctrines on one single verse and ignore all the other verses about that subject. What's worse (and this happens more frequently) is building entire doctrines on partial verses, half-passages, and verses taken out of context. For example everything that's true about Jesus isn't true about us. You are me aren't God. You and me don't get resurrected in the same flesh body we have now.

Jesus died for the world's sins. You can't do that, you aren't eligible.
So back to the topic at hand. Why do we sometimes pick a single scripture about something and cling to it, especially if it goes against all the other scriptures about that same subject? Now I'm sure you're reading this and saying to your self.. "yeah, why do "those" people do that?" But the question here is.. are you one of "those" people? Can you take a serious look at yourself about a certain specific belief you have, and wonder why it conflicts with another verse? I would say it's because you're interpreting that one verse the wrong way.

Loyal Member
Yea there sure is a lot of arguing among Christians on how to determine what some scripture means. I have herd some preach that we are mini gods with a small "g" because we are made in his image. To me that is taking scripture out of context. God will sort out all the weeds from the wheat in the end, best to stay humble and seek him with all our heart and know no one is perfect or can understand it all. Look at the argument about osas you can use scripture to support either side of the argument yet people take sides and are actually rude about it sometimes (i am guilty of this). Or look at election anyone who thinks they can humanly explain that or understand that I would have to question, some things are best left to faith because no way are we gong to understand all of it, while we still are in the flesh. Are we all humble enough to admit that, I am.

Loyal Member
There is One God
One Inspired Set Of God's Written Word

Then there is man and his views.

If indoubt, Always go back to What God Said.
If 10 million men say it's one way and God's Word says another.....Take God's Word OVER All.
Blessings

Loyal Member
Yea I've noticed that a lot on forums.
People ought to read the bible in order not just pick and choose verses willy nilly. Its like taking a sentence out if a book and not really getting the whole story and then making up your own story based on one sentence. Uh, no.

Please don't do it! Why people dont bother to read the entire bible from Genesis to Revelation I dont know. Footnotes are NOT scripture. You cant just skip over some bits and ignore them.

Loyal Member
Heres a rare book nobody really talks about.

Philemon.

Please read it and show it to people who think they can boss others around and treat them badly.

Loyal Member
If you getting doctrines from john darby I suggest you throw out that Bible and get one that hasnt been tampered with. One mans opinion does not make a doctrine. Whole cults are created around the cut up misinterpreted and jumbled up scriptures.

When people start talking about wacky doctrines they seem really turn a blind eye to the rest of Gods Word. God is not the author of confusion!

Loyal Member
The most important thing in reading or studying the scriptures is to do it always prayerfully. The Bible is full of good things, but they are not all always so easily understood. If this were not so, it is unlikely that there be in excess of 30,000 groups or denominations all claiming to Christian, too often embracing doctrines that are completely contradict the doctrines of other believers.

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov 21:2

God is never wrong, so if we disagree with a brother and it seems to be important, we had best remain on God side and until we have the words that God gives us, we might want to remain silent:

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:" Ecc 3:1

"... a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;" Ecc 3:7

Jesus spoke always the right words [His Father's Word] when He spoke, but he also remained silent when it was God's will for him to do so:

"And Pilate asked him again, saying, Answerest thou nothing? behold how many things they witness against thee.

But Jesus yet answered nothing; so that Pilate marvelled." Mark 15:4-5

The OT had many examples of men of God who did not know how to speak and complained to God about it. God let them know that He would supply the necessary words when words were needed. Will He do less for us today?

If we do not know the correct answer to someone's question, what answer should we give them?

Loyal Member
I agree there is a time to keep silent. I agree we don't understand everything. I also agree prayer for understanding is important. But on the other hand, if we have the Holy Spirit who reveals all things to us....

John 16:13; "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will reveal to you what is to come.

I think a lot more of the Bible is understandable by those who have the Holy Spirit. I honestly believe those who have problems with "understanding" some scriptures simply do not have the Spirit of truth in them revealing things to them. This goes for many who call themselves Christians.

God doesn't hide wisdom and scripture from us. He illuminates it for us.

Jas 1:5; But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

Mark 4:22; "For nothing is hidden, except to be revealed; nor has anything been secret, but that it would come to light. ...(also Luke 8:17; )

It is not Gods intention to leave us in the dark as stumbling children. All this philosophical mysticism.. that God is unknowable and His truths
are unfathomable is straight from the father of lies.

Loyal Member
The more you read the bible, the more you learn of God, line upon line, precept upon precept. It doesnt pay to skip around. Thats why I recommended reading through the entire Bible first before you go trying to teach it, I really suspect that many people who teach these days have only rely on another book written by man that tells them which scripture verse or passage to look at. Preachers lectionaries and teachers manuals are guilty of this. It could be 101 sermons to preach, catechisms of the church, commentaries or even systematic theology.

They arent really asking God what it means.

Paul didnt have to give Timothy a crash course in theology because Timothy had always actively read scripture from a young age and knew it inside out. In those days, they didnt have books with pages you could skip, the Torah was in this huge scroll and you read from beginning to the end.

Loyal Member
I agree there is a time to keep silent. I agree we don't understand everything. I also agree prayer for understanding is important. But on the other hand, if we have the Holy Spirit who reveals all things to us....

John 16:13; "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will reveal to you what is to come.
What is it that the Holy Spirit reveals to people, but the meaning where necessary of the scripture the person has consumed. If a person never reads or hears the Bible, none of what is written will be quickened [brought to Life] to that person.

I think a lot more of the Bible is understandable by those who have the Holy Spirit.
I believe that none of the Bible is understandable without the Holy Spirit. Even those who do NOT have the Spirit are guided in the right direction when they are hungry and thirsty for the righteousness of God. They will be led to seek more than what they have.

I honestly believe those who have problems with "understanding" some scriptures simply do not have the Spirit of truth in them revealing things to them. This goes for many who call themselves Christians.

God doesn't hide wisdom and scripture from us. He illuminates it for us.
When people quench the Spirit of God in them, they block their own pathway to greater knowledge and wisdom.

Jas 1:5; But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

Mark 4:22; "For nothing is hidden, except to be revealed; nor has anything been secret, but that it would come to light. ...(also Luke 8:17; )

It is not Gods intention to leave us in the dark as stumbling children. All this philosophical mysticism.. that God is unknowable and His truths
are unfathomable is straight from the father of lies.
It is not God's intention to hide things from us but when we decide to lead rather than to follow, we will fall into a pit. The only limit to how much of the things of God we can know is ourselves. We need to learn to surrender to Him and to ask His to help us to surrender when we have difficulty doing it alone.