• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

The Two Commandments

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
Jesus answered him, "The first of all the commandments [is]: 'Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one. 'And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.' This [is] the first commandment. "And the second, like [it, is] this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." Mark 12:29-31

Jesus was unequivocal about what were the most important commandments in the Law. In fact, He stated in Matthew 22:4 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Interestingly, neither is found in the Ten Commandments (which usually get more attention and discussion). Does that mean the Ten Commandments aren't important? No, it means they are written upon these two concepts the way they had once been written on two tablets of stone. They can't be applied or even understood correctly apart from these two commandments.

Now, if you though the Ten were tough to obey, these Two are utterly impossible. That's because no commandment of God can be truly obeyed without the heart involved. Simple outward adherence isn't enough. That's merely legalism. You're in desperate need of the One who fulfilled God's Law (Matthew 5:17)--particularly the Two Commandments. Let Him live in you and obey it through you. That's the only way.

Prayer: Father, I want to obey from the heart. Thank You for living in me and strengthening me to obey.