• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The Third Heaven (?)

Loyal
'It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory.
.. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.
.... I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago,
...... (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth )
........ such an one caught up to the third heaven.
And I knew such a man,
.. (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth )
.... How that he was caught up into paradise,
...... and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
Of such an one will I glory:
.. yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.
.... For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth:
...... but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me
........ above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations,
.. there was given to me a thorn in the flesh,
.... the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.'
(2 Corinthians 12:1-7)

Hello there,

'The Third Heaven' - this has caused conjecture among many as to what it is? and where it is? Also there has been dispute as to whom Paul was referring to, either himself or another.

Personally speaking, I believe that Paul could have been speaking of Himself; or of the Apostle John perhaps, who saw the visions recorded in the book of Revelation, for although it is said that John did not receive those revelations until a later date, it is not absolutely sure that that is the case; though early Christians are unanimous that the book of Revelation was written at about AD97. I have read that 2 Corinthians was written from Macedonia, not long after Paul left Asia, possibly in the winter of AD57 or spring of AD58. Paul was arrested in AD59, imprisoned in Rome in AD62 and martyred in AD67. Though none of these facts prove anything they give an idea of time and place.

Regarding 'The Third Heaven' spoken of (above) as been entered into by means of 'a vision': I believe that this is possibly referring to the yet future heaven, wherein will be the paradise of God (Revelation 2:7): this vision being prophetic then rather than present at that time. Although the Lord Jesus is said to have ascended, 'far above all heavens' (Ephesians 4:10), so there is obviously more that one.

The jury is still out for me in regard to these things, so I am not in a position to debate them. I just put them out there for those who want to respond and consider this question. I just ask that you do so kindly, remembering that I am a learner too.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Active
...... (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth )
And I knew such a man,
.... For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth:
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations,
.... the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.'

Hello there,

'The Third Heaven' - this has caused conjecture among many as to what it is? and where it is? Also there has been dispute as to whom Paul was referring to, either himself or another.

Personally speaking, I believe that Paul could have been speaking of Himself; or of the Apostle John perhaps, who saw the visions recorded in the book of Revelation, for although it is said that John did not receive those revelations until a later date, it is not absolutely sure that that is the case; though early Christians are unanimous that the book of Revelation was written at about AD97. I have read that 2 Corinthians was written from Macedonia, not long after Paul left Asia, possibly in the winter of AD57 or spring of AD58. Paul was arrested in AD59, imprisoned in Rome in AD62 and martyred in AD67. Though none of these facts prove anything they give an idea of time and place.

Regarding 'The Third Heaven' spoken of (above) as been entered into by means of 'a vision': I believe that this is possibly referring to the yet future heaven, wherein will be the paradise of God (Revelation 2:7): this vision being prophetic then rather than present at that time. Although the Lord Jesus is said to have ascended, 'far above all heavens' (Ephesians 4:10), so there is obviously more that one.

The jury is still out for me in regard to these things, so I am not in a position to debate them. I just put them out there for those who want to respond and consider this question. I just ask that you do so kindly, remembering that I am a learner too.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
As long as God is for me, I really don't care "how many" heavens there are and "which" one I end up in!!!!

Loyal
Greetings @complete

Some people talk of 3 heavens some more, my understand of the Heavens it is as follows.

Heaven-1 is the space between earth and the atmosphere.

Heaven-2 is from the atmosphere which includes what we call outer space.

Heaven-3 is beyond the first two.

Heaven 1 and 2 is assessable by man, the earths atmosphere and outer space are both corrupt and full of sin, amongst all the junk floating around in space, put there by man.

Heaven 3 - is the farthest away, it is pure, it is a holy place, it is God's abode, sinful man, cannot enter it.

This is the only theory I find acceptable, but I could be wrong, and I cannot co firm this with scripture.

I too would find it interesting to hear what others have to say, especially if confirmed with scripture.

Loyal
Greetings @complete

Some people talk of 3 heavens some more, my understand of the Heavens it is as follows.

Heaven-1 is the space between earth and the atmosphere.

Heaven-2 is from the atmosphere which includes what we call outer space.

Heaven-3 is beyond the first two.

Heaven 1 and 2 is assessable by man, the earths atmosphere and outer space are both corrupt and full of sin, amongst all the junk floating around in space, put there by man.

Heaven 3 - is the farthest away, it is pure, it is a holy place, it is God's abode, sinful man, cannot enter it.

This is the only theory I find acceptable, but I could be wrong, and I cannot co firm this with scripture.

I too would find it interesting to hear what others have to say, especially if confirmed with scripture.
Agree with this: in Biblical cosmology, the first heaven is the realm of the birds, second heaven the realm of the sun, moon and stars, the third heaven is the realm of God.

Active
And I knew such a man,

Hello there,

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
I believe Paul is referring to himself and the third heaven to be that of the timeless eternal place where God dwells. Perhaps Paul could not write about all he saw and heard in the third heaven because he was told not to, much like John when he was told (in Revelation 10) not to write what the seven thunders had said.