• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

The teachings of Jesus

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
It seems there are some Christians that don't believe the teachings of Jesus apply to them.
I have to admit, even I was a little surprised that any Christian would say that.

2 Jn 1:8; Watch yourselves, that you do not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward.
2 Jn 1:9; Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son.
2 Jn 1:10; If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting;
2 Jn 1:11; for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds.

Verse 8 is often used to debate "once saved - always saved" but even it's only about full rewards vs partial rewards, it's possible to lose some things.

Verse 8... if anyone goes too far.... and does NOT live in the teachings of Jesus (Christ).. they don't have God in them. Plain and simple.
Anyone who does live in these teachings... has both the Father and the Son. Plain and simple.

Verse 10. If anyone does NOT bring this teaching (teachings of Jesus) do not receive him, do not greet them,
because if you do, you are participating in in their evil deeds. Plain and simple.

Of course 2nd John was written long after Jesus was resurrected and ascended back to Heaven.

1 Jn 2:1; My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;
1 Jn 2:2; and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.
1 Jn 2:3; By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.
1 Jn 2:4; The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;
1 Jn 2:5; but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him:
1 Jn 2:6; the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

This is how we know Jesus - If we keep His commandments.
If anyone says I know Jesus, and does not keep His commandments, they are a liar. (the truth isn't in them).
But whoever keeps His word (his teachings) - has the love of God perfected in them, and by "this" we know
that we are in Him.

In the great commission (the one in Matthew) - Jesus has already been crucified and is risen.
He tells the eleven disciples (Judas is gone)...

Matt 28:19; "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
Matt 28:20; teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

The old testament is gone. The old covenant has been replaced. ..and yet Jesus says...
"teach them to observe (obey) all that I have commanded (taught) you.

It seems some people get offended when you say you have to follow the teachings of Jesus.
But those aren't my words... that's scripture. There are dozens more verses similar but I don't
have time tonight to get to them all....

.. to be continued ...

Loyal
Jesus's longest and greatest sermon... is called the sermon on the mount. It starts out in Matthew 5:2;
He opened His mouth and began to teach them.....

It ends in Matthew 7:28; like this...

Matt 7:28; When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching;
Matt 7:29; for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.

Jesus taught some things that were in the old testament, but He also taught new things, He explained some things were different now.
Some things are even harder than they were before.

The books of Acts is mostly about events the apostles did (it's actually called "The Acts of the Apostles" - shortened just to Acts)
after Jesus was ascended back to heaven. This book starts out....

Acts 1:1; The first account I composed, Theophilus, about all that Jesus began to do and teach,
Acts 1:2; until the day when He was taken up to heaven, after He had by the Holy Spirit given orders to the apostles whom He had chosen.

Theophilus (Luke) is talking about his previous book here. (The book of Luke) He identifies himself the same way in Luke 1:3;
But he says this book was.. "all about that Jesus began to do... and teach".

In Col 3:16; Paul says...
Col 3:16; Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.

We need to have the word (sayings, teachings) of Christ dwelling in us.

In Ephesians 4, Paul says...
Eph 4:20; But you did not learn Christ in this way,
Eph 4:21; if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught in Him, just as truth is in Jesus,
Eph 4:22; that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit,

The previous verse is talking about greediness and impurity, but then he says... You didn't learn Jesus this way...
If indeed... you have heard and "been taught" by Him.

Once again we see the teachings of Jesus are still valid, even many years after Paul becomes an apostle.

.. to be continued ..

Active
It seems there are some Christians that don't believe the teachings of Jesus apply to them.
I have to admit, even I was a little surprised that any Christian would say that.
There are some who not believe that the "Gospel" that Paul taught is not on the same level that Jesus taught!!! That is very strange because what Paul taught came directly from Jesus Christ!!!

Gal 1:7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ.
Gal 1:8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.
Gal 1:9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.

Loyal
There is some who believe that Jesus wrote the gospels, but there is no writing's written by Jesus. Imagine that, knowing how we would argue about scripture both back then and now, and He instead allowed normal people inspired by the Holy Spirit to do so. Perhaps being filled with the Spirit is more important, than to be dividers of the word, like the teachers of the law back in His time on earth. He didn't have too many good words for them as "recorded" by other men filled with the Holy Spirit.

Active
The words of Paul are the Words of God, and they are the Words of Christ.

1Co 14:37 If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord.

1Th 2:13 And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.
w
What did Jesus say one had to do the receive eternal life? Keep the Law, and its commandments. What dd Paul say about the law?

Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Does this mean Jesus was wrong? Absolutely not!!! What Jesus taught was for that time in which he lived under which was the law. We are not living under the law anymore, or Old Testament, but the New which has better promises than the Old..
We must be smart enough spiritually to know the difference between what Jesus taught under the Old and to what Jesus through the Apostle Paul in the New.

If we did not have the words of Jesus through the Apostle Paul we would still be trying to be justified by the works of the law.

Loyal
You say there is no difference between Paul and Jesus's gospel. But then you say they are different because Jesus was under the law.
Can you give me a specific verse where Jesus told someone to do something under the old law that they aren't supposed to do today?

Active
You say there is no difference between Paul and Jesus's gospel. But then you say they are different because Jesus was under the law.
Can you give me a specific verse where Jesus told someone to do something under the old law that they aren't supposed to do today?
Mat 23:1 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples,
Mat 23:2 "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat,
Mat 23:3 so do and observe whatever they tell you, but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice.

Jesus would never tell anyone to keep the law of Moses today!!!

Loyal
Jesus would never tell anyone to keep the law of Moses today!!!
and yet.. He did.

Matt 19:17; And He said to him, [COLOR=red]"Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."
John 14:15; "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
John 15:10; "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.[/COLOR]

Matt 5:18; [COLOR=red]"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
Matt 5:19; "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.[/COLOR]

Matt 5:21; [COLOR=red]"You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.'
Matt 5:22; "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell. [/COLOR]

Do you think this doesn't apply anymore?

Matt 5:27; [COLOR=red]"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY';
Matt 5:28; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. [/COLOR]

Matt 5:33; [COLOR=red]"Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT MAKE FALSE VOWS, BUT SHALL FULFILL YOUR VOWS TO THE LORD.'
Matt 5:34; "But I say to you, make no oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, [/COLOR]

Matt 5:43 [COLOR=red]"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'
Matt 5:44 "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, [/COLOR]

You think if Jesus was standing in front of you right now He would say none of those verses apply to you anymore?
It's OK to lust, murder, lie, and hate your neighbor?

Matt 19:19; [COLOR=red]HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER; and YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Mark 7:10; "For Moses said, 'HONOR YOUR FATHER AND YOUR MOTHER'; and, 'HE WHO SPEAKS EVIL OF FATHER OR MOTHER, IS TO BE PUT TO DEATH';
Mark 10:19; "You know the commandments, 'DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, Do not defraud, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'"
Luke 18:20; "You know the commandments, 'DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'"[/COLOR]

Jesus was the one speaking in all of the verses above. Do you think He would take them all back today?

Staff Member
Dear Brother,
Love you bunches!!!
Don't really want to get into a long drawn out one here, but when you show me in the Gospel's that during Jesus' Earthly Ministry that He also came to the Gentiles, I'll........Oh, and I don't meaning Healings, but preaching. :smile:

There is a difference if only that He had not yet been Crucified and Resurrected. Until then there was only the Law, and that only to the Jews.
His death and resurrection were necessary component for the New Covenant of Grace. Without it the Jews would still only have the Law, while us Gentiles would be left with????? Outside the house looking in.

List the Laws and you'll find some that you can go yes, no, maybe, maybe no. The Law still in force when they brought the Adulterous woman to Him for stoning was it not? He did not abolish the Law of stoning by what He said to those men there, as they slowly dropped their stones and walked away. In fact He could have by His own words stoned her, but he "choose" not to. He would have been following the Law and was the only one by His own words that would be justified in applying that Law!!

Allow oneself to be guided by the Holy Spirit to Love in all facets to include the unlovable and making it part of ones everyday walk, and His yoke unlike the one of Law puts upon one won't be a hindrance, but will truly be light...so much so that if you're not focused on it, you won't even know it's there :smile:

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC (Hugs & Kisses)
Nick
<><

Loyal
I personally don't believe there was much difference between Pauls teachings and Jesus's. But if you like, I can list several verses where we "Gentiles" are subject to the law as well.
Also, I can list several verses where the "apostle to the Gentiles" says we need to keep the commandments.

Active
and yet.. He did.

Matt 19:17; And He said to him, [COLOR=red]"Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."
John 14:15; "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
John 15:10; "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.[/COLOR]

Matt 5:18; [COLOR=red]"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
Matt 5:19; "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.[/COLOR]

Matt 5:21; [COLOR=red]"You have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER' and 'Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.'
Matt 5:22; "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell. [/COLOR]

Do you think this doesn't apply anymore?

Matt 5:27; [COLOR=red]"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY';
Matt 5:28; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. [/COLOR]

Matt 5:33; [COLOR=red]"Again, you have heard that the ancients were told, 'YOU SHALL NOT MAKE FALSE VOWS, BUT SHALL FULFILL YOUR VOWS TO THE LORD.'
Matt 5:34; "But I say to you, make no oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, [/COLOR]

Matt 5:43 [COLOR=red]"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'
Matt 5:44 "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, [/COLOR]

You think if Jesus was standing in front of you right now He would say none of those verses apply to you anymore?
It's OK to lust, murder, lie, and hate your neighbor?

Matt 19:19; [COLOR=red]HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER; and YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Mark 7:10; "For Moses said, 'HONOR YOUR FATHER AND YOUR MOTHER'; and, 'HE WHO SPEAKS EVIL OF FATHER OR MOTHER, IS TO BE PUT TO DEATH';
Mark 10:19; "You know the commandments, 'DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, Do not defraud, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'"
Luke 18:20; "You know the commandments, 'DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'"[/COLOR]

Jesus was the one speaking in all of the verses above. Do you think He would take them all back today?
1Ti 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
1Ti 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

Gal 5:3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
Gal 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Telling someone to do something he knows they could not possibly do is only to show them they were sinners.