• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

The Sower

Loyal
THE SOWER

Matthew 13:1-9 (NKJV)

1 On the same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the sea.
2 And great multitudes were gathered together to Him, so that He got into a boat and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.
3 Then He spoke many things to them in parables, saying: "Behold, a sower went out to sow.
4 And as he sowed, some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds came and devoured them.
5 Some fell on stony places, where they did not have much earth; and they immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth.
6 But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away.
7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up and choked them.
8 But others fell on good ground and yielded a crop: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
9 He who has ears to hear, let him hear!"

Matthew 13:18-23 (NKJV)
18 "Therefore hear the parable of the sower:
19 When anyone hears the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is he who received seed by the wayside.
20 But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy;
21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for a while. For when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he stumbles.
22 Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful.
23 But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty."

IN the thirteenth chapter of Matthew, our Lord reaches a turning point in His teaching. He had come to the Jew first, to the lost sheep of the house of Israel, and had presented Himself as the Messiah, and they had refused Him. He then presents in parable form the mystery of the gospel in the Church age—a truth that had not been revealed to the prophets, having been kept secret from the beginning, as our Lord plainly stated

Matthew 13:35 (NKJV)

35 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: "I will open My mouth in parables; I will utter things kept secret from the foundation of the world."

He spoke in parables that His disciples might catch the deeper meanings, while blinded Jews—as Isaiah had prophesied—would hear but not understand.

These parables do not teach world conversion but rather the saving of a few, and a final judgment and separation. The parable of the sower, interpreted by our Lord Himself, shows only one-fourth of the sown seed of the Word taking permanent root.

Four types of human soil are presented:
- the superficial, upon whom no lasting impression is made;
- the emotional, making a fine start but not persevering;
- the preoccupied, soon choked out by earthly cares; and
- the truly receptive and productive.

Here is encouragement in preaching, for at least one out of four will receive the seed and bear fruit.
Yet here is warning against expecting universal acceptance of the gospel, for the three other types will last until the end.

The Word of God will not return void, for it will accomplish His purpose; but we must ever remember that it does not profit unless it is mixed with faith

Hebrews 4:2 (NKJV)
2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.

Seed falling by the wayside indicates that there are those who do not understand the message and who do not care or even try to understand it. They give no earnest heed to the things which they have heard; they go to church and sit politely as did the people before Ezekiel

Ezekiel 33:30-33 (NKJV)
30 "As for you, son of man, the children of your people are talking about you beside the walls and in the doors of the houses; and they speak to one another, everyone saying to his brother, 'Please come and hear what the word is that comes from the LORD.'
31 So they come to you as people do, they sit before you as My people, and they hear your words, but they do not do them; for with their mouth they show much love, but their hearts pursue their own gain.
32 Indeed you are to them as a very lovely song of one who has a pleasant voice and can play well on an instrument; for they hear your words, but they do not do them.
33 And when this comes to pass--surely it will come--then they will know that a prophet has been among them."

They hear but heed not, and the devil, ever watchful, snatches away the Word before they get home from church.

Then there are those of the stony ground, who go further than the first group. They receive the Word, a good beginning is made, but they do not hold fast that which is good. They taste the good Word of God, but while they endure for a while, they do not endure until the end. When trouble—which works for the faithful a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory—arrives, these fall away.

The third kind also springs up; there is a beginning made, but worldly cares distract—as they did to Martha, so that she neglected the main thing. The deceitfulness of riches, the love of money which is the root of all evil, soon chokes the Word, and the young inquirer goes away grieved, having great possessions—and having nothing! It is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom because of the exceeding danger of earthly cares and fortunes.

The true believer hears the Word and understands it, being taught of the Spirit.
He is also a fruitful believer although there are degrees of fruitfulness.
Their hearts are honest and good, and they "bring forth fruit with patience"

Luke 8:15 (NKJV)
15 But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.

Luke 8:18 (NKJV)
18 Therefore take heed how you hear. For whoever has, to him more will be given; and whoever does not have, even what he seems to have will be taken from him."

by Vance Havner - Reflections on the Gospels.

Loyal
Hey Brother question for you,

is there only one saved person in this parable? its a given the last person producing fruit is saved, but what about any others ??

Active

is there only one saved person in this parable? its a given the last person producing fruit is saved, but what about any others ??
I once heard a preaching. Guy spoke for youth. He was very optimistic. He said: oh yeah well, then you just take the thorns away to protect the plant.

Loyal

Good question Dave, the 4 soil types are mentioned in the Parable

1 - the superficial, upon whom no lasting impression is made;
2 - the emotional, making a fine start but not persevering;
3 - the preoccupied, soon choked out by earthly cares; and
4 - the truly receptive and productive.

I will get back to this as I am studying Revelation for the Eternal Home.

The last one we know is a saved soul.

The two middle ones need a fuller answer (hence I will come back to this)
One saved always saved will be considered but also other considerations also.

Thanks for your patience.

brother-paul

Loyal
thanks brother the reason I ask is because in Lukes Gospel they use the same parable but a little different wording in the explanation I think, when Jesus is explaining the meaning and says they do not mature, is really the main reason I brought up the question

Luke 8:14
The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.

Loyal
thanks brother the reason I ask is because in Lukes Gospel they use the same parable but a little different wording in the explanation I think, when Jesus is explaining the meaning and says they do not mature, is really the main reason I brought up the question

The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.

Spot on Dave

Bless you

Loyal

Here is the scripture the post was commented on originally

THE SOWER

Matthew 13:1-9 (NKJV)
1 On the same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the sea.
2 And great multitudes were gathered together to Him, so that He got into a boat and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.
3 Then He spoke many things to them in parables, saying: "Behold, a sower went out to sow.
4 And as he sowed, some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds came and devoured them.
5 Some fell on stony places, where they did not have much earth; and they immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth.
6 But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away.
7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up and choked them.
8 But others fell on good ground and yielded a crop: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
9 He who has ears to hear, let him hear!"

Matthew 13:18-23 (NKJV)
18 "Therefore hear the parable of the sower:
19 When anyone hears the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is he who received seed by the wayside.
20 But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy;
21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for a while. For when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he stumbles.
22 Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful.
23 But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty."

I take the initial table and to help identify each I have numbered and labelled them.

1 - WAYSIDE BIRDS - the superficial, upon whom no lasting impression is made;
2 - STONY GROUND - the emotional, making a fine start but not persevering;
3 - THORNS - the preoccupied, soon choked out by earthly cares; and
4 - GOOD GROUND - the truly receptive and productive.

Here also is Luke's account of the meaning of the parable

Luke 8:11-15
11 “This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God.
12 Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved.
13 Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away.
14 The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.
15 But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.

WHO THEREFORE IS SAVED AND WHO IS NOT? Based on the Parable example.

To simplify
Soil type 1 - is a LOST SOUL
Soil type 4 - is a SAVED SOUL

Soil type 3 & 4 need to be looked at in more detail, I am sure there will be comment regarding these remain to, the most common being,
Once Saved - Always saved.

Before I continue I add again one item which I feel should always be considered, Who is Saved?

Based in scripture, which of the following is Saved?

- Call on the Name of the Lord and you will be Saved
- Believe on the Lord and you will be Saved.
- whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

The answer I believe is, how do we call, how do we believe. Also what about we should say with our lips and mean in our heart, we are to be baptised in water and spirit and be born again. All of course in Jesus Name.

What I see here is scripture tells us what we should do, but like any parent, any employer, the first time you are told in more detail later you expect your spouse or child to understand a brief statement, same at work we are taught in full at the start, later your boss says do this or that and you do it. Scripture is similar, Jesus or the apostles are not going to repeat every time 'in full' when believers should know the basics.

Look for example at John 3:1-21

John 3:3 Jesus says, you will NOT see the Kingdom of Heaven unless you are born again
John 3:5 Jesus says, you can NOT enter the Kingdom of God unless you are born again
John 3:7 Jesus says, you should NOT be surprised when I say you must be born again.

He tells it in Full at the start.

John 3:16 we all know says, For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

He doesn't say you must be born again another time, we are expected to know this. So he says 'who ever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life'

And this follows through scripture, so those who do not hear is word IN FULL, but just hears believer or call think they are saved, but are possibly not.

ALL Scripture is God breathed, we must drink the living waters, we must eat the bread of life in the Word, all of The Word.

I included this because we must also consider once saved always saved, if they were actually saved.

Soil type 2 STONEY GROUND - Some fell on stony places, where they did not have much earth; and they immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth.
But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away.

The expression "yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for a while" (Matthew 13:21) leads some to doubt the plain meaning of the text. If one believes that anyone who fails to persevere proves that he was not a believer in the first place, he must conclude that the person in question here is an unbeliever. But note why he comes to that conclusion. It is not the text which compels him. It is his presupposition. Thus the texts' explicit assertion that the second soil person received and believed the word (Matthew 13:20; Luke 8:13) is treated as though it didn't exist.

This Fits my example perfectly

Soil Type 2 STONY GROUND - LOST SOUL

Soil type 3 THORNS - And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up and choked them

The third soil, the thorny soil, represents those who receive the word, believers, who then allow the cares of the world to stunt their growth and block their production of fruit. Once again, it seems with this example that there can be little doubt that believers are in view - so it they are TRUE Believers, they cannot lose their Salvation but will be least in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Type 3 - SAVED SOUL providing he/she Truly Believes and is Saved in God sight

These are my thoughts on the topic, based on scripture and the slackness of what some believe o are taught regarding being a believer, being a saved soul.

Blessings

Loyal
@Brother-Paul wow that is amazing, thank you for taking the time and effort to write all that. Very insightful I will have to read through a few more times

Loyal
@Brother-Paul wow that is amazing, thank you for taking the time and effort to write all that. Very insightful I will have to read through a few more times

I was deep in the Eternal Heaven thread and thought, prayed Lord help when I saw your question.

God's speed I got there but must close for tonight, gone 11pm in UK brother.

God Bless

Jesus loves you I do too.