• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community.

Join over 10,000 members today

Register Log In

• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to or from Light / Night mode simply click on Site Menu icon on top and on the dropdown choose "Switch to Night Mode" or "Switch to Light Mode"

Thank you.

The Only Hope

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:1)

Staff Member
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Psalm 51:1

Psalm 51 records King David's repentance after one of the most shocking dramas in the Bible.

David, who had slain Goliath, who had endured years of King Saul's persecution before being crowned king himself, had committed adultery with a woman after seeing her bathing. After she became pregnant, David had her husband placed in the front of a heated battle so he'd be killed and cover up David's sin. It was well after the baby's birth--months perhaps--that the prophet Nathan confronted and convicted David.

Considering this, how can David be described by God as a man "who kept my commands and followed me with all his heart, doing only what was right in my eyes" (1 Kings 14:8)? And why wasn't the Law enforced? Adultery and murder were punished by death (Leviticus 20:10; Numbers 35:31).

The only explanation comes in today's verse: unfailing love and great compassion. David threw himself totally on the One who could "blot out" his transgression He had sinned greatly, but in his heart's cry there is no hint of self-help, no explanations or excuses. For David to be forgiven, it was God or nothing. It was God plus nothing. This is your only hope as well, whether you've sinned greatly or quietly.

Prayer: Father, forgive me only because of Your great love and compassion.