• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

The move to figuratize the Bible

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
I've been in all kinds of churches over the years, Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, non-denominational, Church of Christ, Assembly of God, Foursquare, and a few others. If fact, I've been in churches for over 60 years.
They don't all agree on everything, but it's amazing on how much the agree the Bible is literal. figurative, or metaphorical. The book of Revelation has always been a problem for most, how much of it is literal,
how much of it is figurative, and how much is only illustrative?

A lot of this comes down to "rightly dividing the word of God". 2Tim 2:15; (KJV)

I've always been taught to take numbers as literal. That's a good starting point. Was creation 6 literal days, or was it 6 figurative days that really took billions of years. Either way it was six.
Will the millennial reign really be a thousand years, or is it just for some symbolic, indeterminate amount of time? I was taught that if it says a thousand, it means a thousand.
Sometimes literal and figurative things are mixed. The beast that comes up out of the sea, with 10 horns, what are the horns? 10 kings? 10 countries? 10 of something else? Whatever it is, you can be sure, there are 10 of them.
The two witnesses, are the two dispensations, two countries, or literally two people? Again, you can be sure there are two of them, whatever it is.

There is a move in some churches today to figuratize everything in the Bible it seems. Jesus didn't really die, He just figuratively died. He didn't really rise again, He just spiritually rose from the dead.
People won't really go to hell, they'll just metaphorically go to hell. Adam wasn't really a man, he is just used as an abstract of society at that time.

Some preachers even figuratize what is already figurative. Jesus often taught in parables. He rarely used numbers in His parables, but there are times such as the 10 virgins, and saying He would be in the tomb
for 3 days, that He did get specific. Some preachers will take a parable such as the wheat and the tares and turn them into something even more metaphorical than they already are. The tares aren't really unsaved
fallen away believers in the church, they are just metaphorical evil thoughts of believers. Really?

The New Jerusalem is another item often taken metaphorically, or spiritually only. Some don't believe it is a real physical place, but again, in the description of it, it give exact measurements of the length, width, height,
how thick the walls are, the materials, the streets, gates, and steps are made of. In these cases, I believe we take them as literal. Spiritual things, do not have physical dimensions.

We need to be very careful about metaphorizing and figuritizing everything in the Bible. Some things are definitely metaphors and figurative, I'm not saying nothing in the Bible is.
But for example... Adam wasn't really a man, just an abstract of society. This breaks a ton of theology. (Did Eve come from the rib of society?)

Rom 5:18; So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men.
Rom 5:19; For as through the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous

one man's transgression, one man's act of righteousness. If the "one man" who sinned was really just an abstract of society, does that mean we are saved by an act of society? (one man's righteousness)
If Jesus wasn't really in the grave for 3 days, just a metaphorical indeterminate amount of time, does that mean He isn't risen yet? Are we still waiting for Him to rise?

Active
Spiritual things absolutely do have physical dimensions.

“For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:”

Loyal
“For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:”
There is nothing in this verse that says so.