• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

The Lords Table

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Top Poster Of Month
The Lords Table

Through out the Old Testament God made his people to set up “MEMORIALS” , and every time they would come across them they were to REMEMBER what God had done for them there. They were usually a alter of rock, or just a pile of rocks marking where these events had taken place.

Human beings seem to have a short memory, and we need help to remember important events that are very critical to our well being. It is kinda like when the Lord tells us to, “bring me into remembrance of my word”. Obviously, the Lord God never needs remembrance of what he has said to us. It is us who forget, and need to tell God of his word to show him we have not forgotten. It is like a parent telling their child, “Son, what did I just say to you?”, “Mom, you told me if I did so, and so I would get in trouble”. The parent has not forgotten, and they want to make sure their child has not either.

In the New Testament, Jesus set up a memorial for his Church., We are to remember something that is very critical to our well being.

1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in REMEMBRANCE of me.
1Co 11:26 For AS OFTEN AS YE EAT THIS BREAD, AND DRINK THIS CUP, YE DO SHEW THE LORD'S DEATH TILL HE COME.

There are a lot of different interpretations about the Lords table in how we are to do this remembering, so I am will just give you what I believe as I see it in scriptures.

1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME.
1Co 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
1Co 11:27 Wherefore WHOSOEVER SHALL EAT THIS BREAD, AND DRINK THIS CUP OF THE LORD, UNWORTHILY, SHALL BE GUILTY OF THE BODY AND BLOOD OF THE LORD.
1Co 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
1Co 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

Eating from the Lord's table in a “UNWORTHILY WAY” will cause that person to be guilty of the body, and blood of the Lord. Jesus referred to his body, and blood as food that we were to eat, and drink. “Unless we eat his flesh, and drink his blood we have no life in us.” (John 6:53) Of course, Jesus was referring to his Word. (the Word of God)

There is power contained within the Word of God, and that power has the ability to bring itself to pass if a person consumes it in a worthily way. Jesus came down very hard on the religious leaders of his day, because instead of them teaching the commandments of God (the Word of God) they taught the “TRADITIONS OF MAN”. The traditions of man causes the Word of God to become “void”, “useless” “void of power”, “ to invalidate: - disannul, make of none effect.” (Mark 7:13) The Pharisees were guilty of the body, and blood of the Lord because of the way they approached the Word of God. Anytime we mix mans opinions with analytical carnal thinking, to the Word of God we are become guilty of removing it's power to deliver it's intended purpose.

1Co 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
1Co 11:29 For HE THAT EATETH AND DRINKETH UNWORTHILY, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, NOT DISCERNING THE LORD'S BODY.

The “UNWORTHILY” way one brings damnation to ones self is in not in “DISCERNING” the Lords body. The Amplified Bible says it a little more clearly....

1Co 11:29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discriminating and recognizing with due appreciation that [it is Christ's] body, eats and drinks a sentence (a verdict of judgment) upon himself.

Since a “MEMORIAL” is for “REMEMBERING”, then what are we to remember when we partake of the Lord's table? We are suppose to remember that is was the Lord's “blood” that has washed away all our sins. We are to remember that Jesus on his body, bore all of our sickness, diseases, sorrows, pain, and with his stripes we WERE healed!!! Why are we sick if Jesus bore all our sicknesses?

1Co 11:29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself.
1Co 11:30 THAT IS WHY MANY OF YOU ARE WEAK AND ILL, AND SOME HAVE DIED.

We don't get "sick" by not discering the Lord's body, we are sick because we have not discerned that Jesus bore our sickness for us on his body.
The only reason we would be sick is if we are not allowing the Word of God which brought to us healing, and not discerning that Jesus did this for us on the cross!! We have become guilty by not
knowing, and understanding this. No wonder we need to “REMEMBER” what the Lord has done for us!! We need to judge our self's for thinking the Lords table is just some tradition we do every once in a while. We never want to make the Word of God void, or ineffective for us by not knowing, and wrong believing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Curtis Devotionals 0
T Prayer Request 1
Curtis Devotionals 0