• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

The Lord's Anointed

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:3)

Staff Member
And David said to Abishai, Destroy him not: for who can stretch forth his hand against the LORD'S anointed, and be guiltless? 1 Samuel 26:9

Abishai, one of David's men, was convinced that God had given Saul over to David when they slipped into Saul's camp and found him sleeping. But David wouldn't have anything to do with killing Saul. He still saw him as God's anointed, in spite of everything Saul had done.

Have you considered today's verse in light of the way you speak about political leaders, or any other leaders? It's not always easy to understand why God allows some to rise to power and not others--especially when such leadership holds views that are contrary to scripture. But somehow, in God's perfect plan, they're the Lord's anointed, at least for a time.

That's not to say you shouldn't support someone who is campaigning against them, or that you shouldn't hold them accountable. But to assassinate their character isn't the answer. Instead, pray for the leader's conversion, and pray for the power to hold your tongue. And then trust that God has the future figured out.

Prayer: Lord, I confess that I don't always mind my tongue when it comes to leaders, but I haven't considered the fact that they, like Saul--in spite of all their flaws--are Your anointed. Forgive me, Lord. Help me to set a better example to others going forward.