• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

The Loneliness Of The Christian

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

THE LONELINESS OF THE CHRISTIAN

By A.W. Tozer

The loneliness of the Christian results from his walk with God in an ungodly world, a walk that must often take him away from the fellowship of good Christians as well as from that of the unregenerate world. His God-given instincts cry out for companionship with others of his kind, others who can understand his longings, his aspirations, his absorption in the love of Christ; and because within his circle of friends there are so few who share his inner experiences he is forced to walk alone. The unsatisfied longings of the prophets for human understanding caused them to cry out in their complaint, and even our Lord Himself suffered in the same way.

The man [or woman] who has passed on into the divine Presence in actual inner experience will not find many who understand him. He finds few who care to talk about that which is the supreme object of his interest, so he is often silent and preoccupied in the midst of noisy religious shoptalk. For this he earns the reputation of being dull and over-serious, so he is avoided and the gulf between him and society widens. He searches for friends upon whose garments he can detect the smell of myrrh and aloes and cassia out of the ivory palaces, and finding few or none he, like Mary of old, keeps these things in his heart.

It is this very loneliness that throws him back upon God. His inability to find human companionship drives him to seek in God what he can find nowhere else.

"And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death." -Revelation 12:11

Amen jiggyfly. The Christian life can be lonely when you walk in communion with Christ. Many people do indeed misunderstand you, but its a privileged place to be. Good post - thanks. :love:

sunshine307 said:
Amen jiggyfly. The Christian life can be lonely when you walk in communion with Christ. Many people do indeed misunderstand you, but its a privileged place to be. Good post - thanks. :love:
AMEN Sister Sunshine307
There's an old song that states "everybody want's to go to heaven but nobody want's to die"

Luke 9:23&24
23*Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross daily, and follow me. 24*If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life.

jiggyfly said:
By A.W. Tozer
The loneliness of the Christian results from his walk with God in an ungodly world, a walk that must often take him away from the fellowship of good Christians as well as from that of the unregenerate world.

The unsatisfied longings of the prophets for human understanding caused them to cry out in their complaint, and even our Lord Himself suffered in the same way.

The man [or woman] who has passed on into the divine Presence in actual inner experience will not find many who understand him.

It is this very loneliness that throws him back upon God. His inability to find human companionship drives him to seek in God what he can find nowhere else.

"And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death." -Revelation 12:11
Aside from Tozer's pointed description of a condition I recognize all to well, there are other practical situations in the body of Christ that exacerbate this loneliness and longing. Many times we get into ongoing situations with brethren by which a recognizable niche is established, and it is difficult to elicit change. Often Christians will accept a word or discourse on Jesus and Scripture from the Pastor or those who have established ministries, but unwittingly become dismissive if lay Christians always have a scripture or thoughts on Christ for conversation. This is part of the human tendency to recognize position, which occurs as much in the body of Christ as in any social setting. Thus, those of us who are most happy with saturation in Jesus are often left vaguely empty by the discourse of everyday relationships.
(Call me a Talk Jesus chauvinist, but this is one main reason why these forums are invaluable.)

A.W. Tozer, anointed by the Spirit and without benefit of seminary or academic training, seemed to particularly wrestle with this despite later accolades for his ministry. His insatiable desire for the grass roots core of the life of Christ placed him at odds with religious scholars, and his unschooled background seemed to leave him with a constant sense of isolation that made him a ravenous seeker, as well as a teacher unable to tolerate doctrinal "fluff." Hence his no-nonsense Holy Spirit revelations are era-proof, even as he is now one of the heavenly cloud of withnesses.

For those of us alive and struggling with the singular isolation of yearning for the sublime closeness of comraderie in Christ, as alluded above, we have the supreme example of understanding. "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46) The Son of God, after unbroken eternal communion with God, experienced a separation from His Father incomparable to any mortal loneliness.

I pray the companionship of Jesus be irresistably real to all who know the lonely walk of seeking Christ in every moment at every turn. Amen.

Often Christians will accept a word or discourse on Jesus and Scripture from the Pastor or those who have established ministries, but unwittingly become dismissive if lay Christians always have a scripture or thoughts on Christ for conversation. This is part of the human tendency to recognize position, which occurs as much in the body of Christ as in any social setting. Thus, those of us who are most happy with saturation in Jesus are often left vaguely empty by the discourse of everyday relationships.
This is a good point, If you go with Christ and grow in Christ and begin to mature spiritually, many times it puts you at odds with the carnal christian. Man-made religion invented the terms Clergy and Laity, there is no scriptural support for such doctrine or thought and this is why many carnal christians respond the way you descibed. Many of them have not discovered that we are a family of brothers and sisters and not an organization of officers and workers.

But over all the same point is being made here. If you follow Christ closely ( a disciple) you will find yourself in many cases at odds with others who don't share your passion for HIM.

Last edited:
You're exactly right, Jiggy. When we completely sell out to Jesus we become strangers in a strange land. Jesus told us we are in this world but not of it. A lot of Christians will shun you and talk badly of you when you go "too far" with your faith. Even my own family lectured me until they realized they were wasting their time. All I care about is bringing new souls into the Kingdom, worshipping, and being conformed into Jesus' image. Hallalujeah!

You're exactly right, Jiggy. When we completely sell out to Jesus we become strangers in a strange land. Jesus told us we are in this world but not of it. A lot of Christians will shun you and talk badly of you when you go "too far" with your faith. Even my own family lectured me until they realized they were wasting their time. All I care about is bringing new souls into the Kingdom, worshipping, and being conformed into Jesus' image. Hallalujeah!
Amen lll3, I appreciate your dedication and faithfulness to the Lord Jesus. I seem to be at odds with many in my family also, especially since my wife and I stopped participating in the organized religious institution.

Matthew 10:34-39
34*“Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! No, I came to bring a sword. 35*I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36*Your enemies will be right in your own household! 37*If you love your father or mother more than you love me, you are not worthy of being mine; or if you love your son or daughter more than me, you are not worthy of being mine. 38*If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine. 39*If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give it up for me, you will find it.

Brother , all I can say is please stay here with us and continue to be an open vessel of truth as you have alway's been . You have blessed me very much today with this thread . Peace [ M.M.] my brother and friend . Mike

Administrator
Staff Member
Excellent thread jiggy. I face the loneliness everyday of my life because I have lost all friends due to becomming a Christian. Its a bit rough but no place is better than home with Jesus :)

To find one who is on the same level, view and love of Christ as you have is not easy. I struggle for that. I have yet to find someone who is mature and truly faithful, obedient in Christ or cares to be to the least. I sit home all day in my home office working the ministry and business. Nothing changes. But faith keeps my peace in Christ and helps me through the days.

Always in Christ, always at peace.

I can identify with this too, If I opened up about my faith to my friends, people at work etc, they would look at me stupid and think my head was in the clouds it is far from the norm here, especially for a young guy.

"So he is often silent and preoccupied in the midst of noisy religious shoptalk."

This line stood out to me, as it is something I`ve struggled with, that is my own silence. It encourages me to read anothers response is not unlike my own, even if he is already gone on to glory. :)
I come from a very religious family, and the ones who are still 'saved', and even the ones who are 'backslid' but still believe in their 'religion' have responded so many times with such looks of shall I say, what appears to be patient tolerance of my 'delussion' that I even think I am a christian, when I speak of anything to do with Christianity. It is the same wherever I go in town, and meeting up with so many from my former 'religion.' I`ve found that I have resorted to silence, and this troubles me more than thier responses to me. It feels at tho I am letting down Christ when I do that. Only He knows my heart, and that I am so in love with Him, that this is a constant heartache for me. I pray for all who must bear this lonliness as well, that Christ will make His light to shine brighter in this ever present darkness!

Psa 71:1 In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion.
Psa 71:2 Deliver me in thy righteousness, and cause me to escape: incline thine ear unto me, and save me.
Psa 71:3 Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou [art] my rock and my fortress.
Psa 71:4 Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked, out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man.
Psa 71:5 For thou [art] my hope, O Lord GOD: [thou art] my trust from my youth.
Psa 71:6 By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother's bowels: my praise [shall be] continually of thee.
Psa 71:7 I am as a wonder unto many; but thou [art] my strong refuge.
Psa 71:8 Let my mouth be filled [with] thy praise [and with] thy honour all the day.
Psa 71:9 Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth.
Psa 71:10 For mine enemies speak against me; and they that lay wait for my soul take counsel together,
Psa 71:11 Saying, God hath forsaken him: persecute and take him; for [there is] none to deliver [him].
Psa 71:12 O God, be not far from me: O my God, make haste for my help.
Psa 71:13 Let them be confounded [and] consumed that are adversaries to my soul; let them be covered [with] reproach and dishonour that seek my hurt.
Psa 71:14 But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.
Psa 71:15 My mouth shall shew forth thy righteousness [and] thy salvation all the day; for I know not the numbers [thereof].
Psa 71:16 I will go in the strength of the Lord GOD: I will make mention of thy righteousness, [even] of thine only.
Psa 71:17 O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works.
Psa 71:18 Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto [this] generation, [and] thy power to every one [that] is to come.
Psa 71:19 Thy righteousness also, O God, [is] very high, who hast done great things: O God, who [is] like unto thee!
Psa 71:20 [Thou], which hast shewed me great and sore troubles, shalt quicken me again, and shalt bring me up again from the depths of the earth.
Psa 71:21 Thou shalt increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side.
Psa 71:22 I will also praise thee with the psaltery, [even] thy truth, O my God: unto thee will I sing with the harp, O thou Holy One of Israel.
Psa 71:23 My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and my soul, which thou hast redeemed.
Psa 71:24 My tongue also shall talk of thy righteousness all the day long: for they are confounded, for they are brought unto shame, that seek my hurt.

FearNoEvil said:
I can identify with this too, If I opened up about my faith to my friends, people at work etc, they would look at me stupid and think my head was in the clouds it is far from the norm here, especially for a young guy.
Praise God! FearNoEvil

1Timothy4:11-13
11*Teach these things and insist that everyone learn them. 12*Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you teach, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity. 13*Until I get there, focus on reading the Scriptures to the church, encouraging the believers, and teaching them.

jiggyfly said:
By A.W. Tozer
The loneliness of the Christian results from his walk with God in an ungodly world, a walk that must often take him away from the fellowship of good Christians as well as from that of the unregenerate world. His God-given instincts cry out for companionship with others of his kind, others who can understand his longings, his aspirations, his absorption in the love of Christ; and because within his circle of friends there are so few who share his inner experiences he is forced to walk alone. The unsatisfied longings of the prophets for human understanding caused them to cry out in their complaint, and even our Lord Himself suffered in the same way.
The man [or woman] who has passed on into the divine Presence in actual inner experience will not find many who understand him. He finds few who care to talk about that which is the supreme object of his interest, so he is often silent and preoccupied in the midst of noisy religious shoptalk. For this he earns the reputation of being dull and over-serious, so he is avoided and the gulf between him and society widens. He searches for friends upon whose garments he can detect the smell of myrrh and aloes and cassia out of the ivory palaces, and finding few or none he, like Mary of old, keeps these things in his heart.
:rose: Yes, there are times when he/she feels all alone, lost, but forever searching it seems, for GOD'S Chosen Ones. And, yet he/she knows perfectly well, that he/she is not alone - for there is always GOD & Christ Jesus in the mist of us, watching us & protecting us, constantly sending us HIS Reminders, with HIS Rules & Regulations always before us.

Your thread stirs a familiar cord, Jiggyfly. I think the most painful experience for me comes from those who also claim to be in the household of faith- yet remain carnal and unchanged by His grace. I agree with you in prayer for the 'lonely christian' who feels the sting.

Is Towzer's book still available?

Delicate said:
Tozer's books are still available. The Pursuit of God is available in its entirety for online reading. I'll ask Talk Jesus staff for an okay to post links.

Glory to Jesus, and God bless you, Delicate!

Last edited:
jiggyfly said:

By A.W. Tozer

Great post, Jiggy! As I read it, it struck me that Tozer is giving one of the reasons why Jesus (as man) spent so much time alone with the Father.

The world hated Him and, while they loved Him, His disciples didn't really understand His mission. Yes, He sought time alone with the Father for guidance and strength, but He also sought it for companionship. As the late comedian George Gobel quipped about himself, "he felt like the whole world was a tuxedo and he was a pair of brown shoes."

SLE

SLE

Delicate said:
Your thread stirs a familiar cord, Jiggyfly. I think the most painful experience for me comes from those who also claim to be in the household of faith- yet remain carnal and unchanged by His grace. I agree with you in prayer for the 'lonely christian' who feels the sting.

Delicate,

As in all other organizations, the people involved in Christianity fall into two categories: Visitors and Members. The folks you refer to are visitors. They "suit up and show up" at services, but they never venture toward the center of our faith: relationship with Jesus Christ. They've missed or avoided the message of the old Billy Sunday quote: "Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to your garage makes you a car."

SLE

SpiritLedEd said:
Great post, Jiggy! As I read it, it struck me that Tozer is giving one of the reasons why Jesus (as man) spent so much time alone with the Father.
The world hated Him and, while they loved Him, His disciples didn't really understand His mission. Yes, He sought time alone with the Father for guidance and strength, but He also sought it for companionship. As the late comedian George Gobel quipped about himself, "he felt like the whole world was a tuxedo and he was a pair of brown shoes."
SLE
SLE
Good point SpiritLedEd.
There is a lot of truth to this funny statement, thanks brother.