Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

The Joy Of The LORD

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Br. Bear, Jan 29, 2017.

?

Do you have the joy of the LORD ?

1. Yes!

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Sometimes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Not really

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Only when 'at Church'

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not anymore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No - I have never known it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Greetings,

THE JOY OF THE LORD

1John 1:4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.

And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away. Isaiah 35:10

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost. Romans 15:13

What is this joy?
    How can we have this joy?

If we say we believe in God but we don't have joy, how can this be?

Is joy important for us?

Is joy part of other things, like assurance, peace, contentment, hope and love?

What brings or gives you joy?

How can we understand or explain the Apostle Paul's words in Philippians 2:14-18 ?
    Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world, Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all.
    For the same cause also do ye joy, and rejoice with me.

Is joy a continuous thing or does it come and go?

Do we and can we share in and have the joy that Jesus spoke of?

These things have I spoken unto you, that My joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. John 15:11

Bless you ....><>

2. Problem with the question is someone who doesn't have it or has never had it may not understand what it is and thus answer incorrectly. We are growing and as we grow our understanding should get better to include even understanding what it is to have the joy of the Lord. Give God the glory!

Now we see through a glass darkly!

3. Greetings,

you have a point there amadeus2. Do you think that in time it would become evident? I suppose that the joy of the LORD has to be a joy that is directly of the LORD so that a pseudo joy would be impossible?
    Perhaps some may think they have such joy but in fact rejoice rather in feeling good with their choice of doctrine and even material satisfaction?
    Thanks for the thought. Be welcome to give more.

Bless you ....><>

Brad Huber likes this.
  4. What I believe regarding our growth is that we know some things and we believe some things with regard to God and the things of God including joy. Our problem, if we recognize it, is that we do not always know the difference between the things we really know and the things we only believe. As we grow we should be moving away from faith alone and toward real knowledge. Jesus did not live by faith. He lived by knowledge. This was one advantage He always had over us, but God is fully aware of this and is working with us, [if we are allowing it by not quenching the Spirit in us] to bring us to the final end of faith where we will be finally and totally immersed [baptized] in knowledge. As always Jesus is the Way for each of us to come to that end or to that finish:

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:2

In the interim, things that are included in the faith rather than the knowledge category may include things that are wrong. This is why there are believers who really are believers who disagree with each other. It is in this disagreement that "charity" [or Love as per I Cor chapter 13] is so important. We can espouse sincerely something that is wrong so long as our attitude remains right toward those who differ from us. As we grow, will not God correct whatever needs to be corrected?

As the corrections are made and as we grow, will not our joy in the Lord become stronger or more openly manifested or whatever is needed in that regard. God knows!

Give God the glory!

5. Greetings,

What gives us joy?

In the world joy is sought after by everyone even if they don't want to call it joy.
    The same goes for hope.

In western countries where affluence is predominant, where even the poorer has access to benefits of the society they like in, joy is sought after in many different changing ways and can be found in different circumstances for different people but generally, the joy doesn't last all that long before worries and complaints resume their lead in the lives of the lost and perishing.

In the rest of the world things are different and affluence is not the norm. Most westerners who visit the less affluent countries usually give report that the people appear to have a happiness that is foreign to the western world , smiles and appreciation for little and simple things. However, those people also have only fleeting joy if they don't have the joy of the LORD.

So what is this joy?

Can it be summed up in a few words or is it something that grows a bit at the time that we can never properly explain?

Scripture tells of the believer having their minds transformed which gives us a clue about this joy. Like the less affluent countries where simple things bring a bigger smile, perhaps our quest should be to look differently at who we are in God through Jesus Christ the Lord and to be able to see life in the light of this?

Jesus Christ , on our behalf, bought us seats for the Kingdom of God, bought us freedom from death and it's binding fears, bought us access to the throne of grace and bought us everlasting and abundant life. He paid with His Blood, He sealed our redemption with a covenant of love between us and His Father, He made it possible as the good Shepherd for us to come in and go out, to find pasture, to dwell together in peace and to make all the promises of God ours.

We have assurance of this through the Son and it is not the fact that He has an agreement with God but that we have an agreement with God through Him.
    Surely this is our joy!

Jesus Christ Who was resurrected from death intercedes for us making access to the riches of the Kingdom ours. Because He lives we can enjoy together in Him the fullness of Salvation as sons and daughters of God ...

Lasting joy, everlasting joy.

Bless you ....><>

6. Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see [him] not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: 1 Peter 1:8

Truly our Joy is in the Lord! How to express the completeness of God that overwhelms one when His peace falls upon you? How does one explain the rising of the sun to a person who does not see or the sounds of a spring morning with the chirping of the birds to one who does not hear?

We pray that the words be ours to open/reach them with the Gospel that in turn opens them to unspeakable Joy Eternal that we know to be true though we lack the words to explain it or its existence except by the light reflected in our countenance!

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence [is] fulness of joy; at thy right hand [there are] pleasures for evermore. Psalm 16:11

So much more to say, but I'm off to share a quiet breakfast with my dear wife! :)
    Another Joy that God has blessed me with in her!!!

Blessings and Love to you brothers who are also a joy to me!!!
    YBIC
    Nick
    <><

Sue J Love likes this.