• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

The Importance of "One Another"

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another."By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:34-35

During His earthly ministry, Jesus brought to His followers some radical new (new to them) teachings about the Law, about the nature of their relationship with God, and about love. He taught that by-the-letter “obedience” to the Law of Moses wasn’t nearly as important as obedience to the spirit of the Law. He gave them a glimpse of the loving nature of their heavenly Father and taught them the vital importance of loving one another.

The New Testament is filled with references to “one another,” starting with Jesus’ commandment that His followers love one another in the same way He loved them—selflessly, sacrificially, and compassionately. Here are just are a few examples from the pen of the apostle Paul:

• [Be] kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; Romans 12:10

• Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion. Romans 12:16

• For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not [use] liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. Galatians 5:13

• And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32

Clearly God never intended for followers of Jesus Christ to live self-focused lives. On the contrary, He has commanded you to be lovingly devoted to your brothers and sisters in the faith.