• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

The Golden Calf of Moses' people...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

I am reading Exodus. In chapter 32, Moses is speaking to God in the mountain, and because of his taking too long, the people down below who he led up out of Egypt are growing impatient, so as the scriptures go (I don't have a normal bible, I have a Jehovah's Witness edition because it's the only one I've ever had, and I am working on getting a different bible - same basic stories though) everyone begins asking for a God from Aaron and he collects all their gold earrings and forms a golden calf statue which these people begin to worship, build an altar to, make communion sacrifices, etc. and so on. So God sees this, tells Moses about it... This is the part that confuses me. God tells Moses to leave him because God's anger is going to blaze against the people for being a stiff-necked people and acting ruinously. God desires to punish them - to exterminate them. And Moses spoke out against this to God, questioning God's anger and resentment towards the people he has JUST SAVED from the Egyptian hierarchy. Moses literally commands God to feel regret over the evil against his people. He commands God to remember Abraham, Isaac and Israel, of whom God swore to multiply their seeds and give them designated lands for time indefinite. And it worked! God was regretful and Moses descended the mountain. My question... Why is our almighty God, the one who loves everything unconditionally, forgives unconditionally, and is supposedly slow to anger - Why in our bibles does it say he will exterminate his people out of the anger he has enveloped himself in because of their actions? If I am missing something, BY ALL MEANS fill me in!!!

I am reading Exodus. In chapter 32, Moses is speaking to God in the mountain, and because of his taking too long, the people down below who he led up out of Egypt are growing impatient, so as the scriptures go (I don't have a normal bible, I have a Jehovah's Witness edition because it's the only one I've ever had, and I am working on getting a different bible - same basic stories though) everyone begins asking for a God from Aaron and he collects all their gold earrings and forms a golden calf statue which these people begin to worship, build an altar to, make communion sacrifices, etc. and so on. So God sees this, tells Moses about it... This is the part that confuses me. God tells Moses to leave him because God's anger is going to blaze against the people for being a stiff-necked people and acting ruinously. God desires to punish them - to exterminate them. And Moses spoke out against this to God, questioning God's anger and resentment towards the people he has JUST SAVED from the Egyptian hierarchy. Moses literally commands God to feel regret over the evil against his people. He commands God to remember Abraham, Isaac and Israel, of whom God swore to multiply their seeds and give them designated lands for time indefinite. And it worked! God was regretful and Moses descended the mountain. My question... Why is our almighty God, the one who loves everything unconditionally, forgives unconditionally, and is supposedly slow to anger - Why in our bibles does it say he will exterminate his people out of the anger he has enveloped himself in because of their actions? If I am missing something, BY ALL MEANS fill me in!!!
God did destroy them people who went against Holy Moses.
Holy Moses was a type of Saviour to the people of God in the light ? much like Jesus is.
If people go their own way, doing their own works, they will destroy themselves with their idols.
The stupid foolish Jews have always destroyed themselves and coped a hiding all through history ? why because they reject God and think themselves and worship idolatry. so it's their own fault. just like any people are on a path that leads to destruction, stupid foolish Christians as well.
We must abide in Christ and do his will, faith without the works is dead, is said many times in the bible, but the works are the works in Christ only ! not mans works at all, as that is just being worldly without being in the Spirit foremost in our lives.
God made everything and you know what, he will destroy us if we do not follow his ways ? because he made the world for us ? so it is not in the way cote you are perceiving it, like he will attack you sort of thing, but a people will be lead to destruction due to their own foolishness. we must understand the stain of Original Sin and how Satan works etc the ego, the madness of man believing he is on his own path.