• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

The fleece test

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Jdg 6:16; But the LORD said to him, "Surely I will be with you, and you shall defeat Midian as one man."
Jdg 6:17; So Gideon said to Him, "If now I have found favor in Your sight, then show me a sign that it is You who speak with me.

It seems Gideon was a man who "liked to make sure" what God's plan was.

Jdg 6:36; Then Gideon said to God, "If You will deliver Israel through me, as You have spoken,
Jdg 6:37; behold, I will put a fleece of wool on the threshing floor. If there is dew on the fleece only, and it is dry on all the ground, then I will know that You will deliver Israel through me, as You have spoken."
Jdg 6:38; And it was so. When he arose early the next morning and squeezed the fleece, he drained the dew from the fleece, a bowl full of water.
Jdg 6:39; Then Gideon said to God, "Do not let Your anger burn against me that I may speak once more; please let me make a test once more with the fleece, let it now be dry only on the fleece, and let there be dew on all the ground."
Jdg 6:40; God did so that night; for it was dry only on the fleece, and dew was on all the ground.

Gideon wasn't convinced the first time, so he asked God for a second sign.

Have you ever prayed for God to "give you a sign" about something He wants you to do?
I suppose this could be abused... i.e. God should I eat oatmeal or eggs and bacon for breakfast.
But for a big spiritual decision, should we ask God to "show us a sign"?

Loyal
Jdg 6:16; But the LORD said to him, "Surely I will be with you, and you shall defeat Midian as one man."
Jdg 6:17; So Gideon said to Him, "If now I have found favor in Your sight, then show me a sign that it is You who speak with me.

Jdg 6:36; Then Gideon said to God, "If You will deliver Israel through me, as You have spoken,
Jdg 6:37; behold, I will put a fleece of wool on the threshing floor. If there is dew on the fleece only, and it is dry on all the ground, then I will know that You will deliver Israel through me, as You have spoken."
Jdg 6:38; And it was so. When he arose early the next morning and squeezed the fleece, he drained the dew from the fleece, a bowl full of water.
Jdg 6:39; Then Gideon said to God, "Do not let Your anger burn against me that I may speak once more; please let me make a test once more with the fleece, let it now be dry only on the fleece, and let there be dew on all the ground."
Jdg 6:40; God did so that night; for it was dry only on the fleece, and dew was on all the ground.

Have you ever prayed for God to "give you a sign" about something He wants you to do?
I suppose this could be abused... i.e. God should I eat oatmeal or eggs and bacon for breakfast.
Do not test the Lord your God. God had a lot of patience and love for Gideon.

Loyal
Deut 6:16; "You shall not put the LORD your God to the test, as you tested Him at Massah.

and yet... when it comes to tithing.

Mal 3:8; "Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing Me! But you say, 'How have we robbed You?' In tithes and offerings.
Mal 3:10; "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this," says the LORD of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.

Now maybe this isn't required to be saved... but even so... will God bless you for doing it?

Is there a difference between testing God's patience, and asking Him to show you which direction to take?

Loyal
Is there a difference between testing God's patience, and asking Him to show you which direction to take?
Probably so, but I dont want to be the one to test His limits, like children do so with boundaries with parents.

Loyal
Do not test the Lord your God. God had a lot of patience and love for Gideon.
How would it be testing God to ask for a sign to be sure you understood Him? And....If God was patient with Gideon, why would He not be patient with you as well? Our God changes not.

Loyal
How would it be testing God to ask for a sign to be sure you understood Him? And....If God was patient with Gideon, why would He not be patient with you as well? Our God changes not.
I cant remember where, but doesnt it say in scripture that a wicked and perverse generation seeks after a sign?

Loyal
I cant remember where, but doesnt it say in scripture that a wicked and perverse generation seeks after a sign?
It does! It does but my friend...Are you wicked and perverse? I think not...And asking for a sign to be sure, is not looking for the same type of sign those wicked men were looking for, and not for the same reasons.

Loyal
And does it not say that with Christ many signs and wonders were performed, but those that believe without the signs and wonders are more blessed?

Loyal
And does it not say that with Christ many signs and wonders were performed, but those that believe without the signs and wonders are more blessed?
There ya go! Don't look at only one single verse for your answers but look at all of what He says about it.

Loyal
There ya go! Don't look at only one single verse for your answers but look at all of what He says about it.
I have read the whole bible through many times, done topical studies, etc. God gives signs and wonders for our sake, not because he likes us not to trust Him. Dont think I dont want to ask for signs and wonders, I do, I even have on rare occasions. But I see myself as weak and faithless when I do. I feel like I have failed in trusting Him, and He deserves my trust more than anyone else in all of creation.

Loyal
I have read the whole bible through many times, done topical studies, etc. God gives signs and wonders for our sake, not because he likes us not to trust Him. Dont think I dont want to ask for signs and wonders, I do, I even have on rare occasions. But I see myself as weak and faithless when I do. I feel like I have failed in trusting Him, and He deserves my trust more than anyone else in all of creation.
Read where they asked Him for signs my friend...They only wanted to be sure they understood what God wanted...Signs are instituted by God so we can be sure.
Genesis 1:14
(A: ii) God said, “Let there be lights in the dome of the sky to divide the day from the night; let them be for signs, seasons, days and years;

Loyal
Matt 12:39 and Matt 16:4;

Are they evil because they wanted a sign? Or were they evil before they asked to see the sign? Did the asking for a sign make them evil?

There are Christians who want to see signs for the sake of signs. (I am reminded of Roman Catholic apparitions of Mary)
But Jesus and apostles healed the sick, make the lame wick, made the blind see, and raised the dead.

These were signs... were they evil? Jesus and the apostles didn't do these things for the sake of "showing off".
They simply did it when it was needed. Someone needed healing.. they healed them. It was as simple as that.

Mark 16:17; Mark 16:20; also see.. John 2:11; John 2:23;... these sign were sort of a confirmation... John 3:2; John 6:2;
( about a dozen others )
Acts 5:12; Acts 6:8; Stephen wasn't even an apostle... 2 Cor 12:12;

1 Cor 4:20; says the kingdom of God isn't just words, but power also. When people get healed, you get their attention.
When you prophesy to them, they start to believe and listen.

Loyal
Matt 12:39 and Matt 16:4;

Are they evil because they wanted a sign? Or were they evil before they asked to see the sign? Did the asking for a sign make them evil?

There are Christians who want to see signs for the sake of signs. (I am reminded of Roman Catholic apparitions of Mary)
But Jesus and apostles healed the sick, make the lame wick, made the blind see, and raised the dead.

These were signs... were they evil? Jesus and the apostles didn't do these things for the sake of "showing off".
They simply did it when it was needed. Someone needed healing.. they healed them. It was as simple as that.

Mark 16:17; Mark 16:20; also see.. John 2:11; John 2:23;... these sign were sort of a confirmation... John 3:2; John 6:2;
( about a dozen others )
Acts 5:12; Acts 6:8; Stephen wasn't even an apostle... 2 Cor 12:12;

1 Cor 4:20; says the kingdom of God isn't just words, but power also. When people get healed, you get their attention.
When you prophesy to them, they start to believe and listen.
If I asked God for a sign, like a fleece being full of dew when the surrounding floor was dry, I could not ask again after He gave me the sign I asked for. I find no fault with Gideon, that is between him and God, and I truly believe he was a man of God. I just say I could not do it. I am not against signs, I have seen plenty and they truly encourage the soul. But I am ashamed that I needed the signs I needed to trust in Him. I cannot bring myself to be proud of wanting signs when I have the Holy Spirit, scripture, and the common sense God imbued me with to know what to do in any situation. If God needs to redirect my steps after a bad choice, I trust Him to do so.

Loyal
If I asked God for a sign, like a fleece being full of dew when the surrounding floor was dry, I could not ask again after He gave me the sign I asked for. I find no fault with Gideon, that is between him and God, and I truly believe he was a man of God. I just say I could not do it. I am not against signs, I have seen plenty and they truly encourage the soul. But I am ashamed that I needed the signs I needed to trust in Him. I cannot bring myself to be proud of wanting signs when I have the Holy Spirit, scripture, and the common sense God imbued me with to know what to do in any situation. If God needs to redirect my steps after a bad choice, I trust Him to do so.
praise the Lord what a great post thought worth repeating !! for scripture says
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

na, actually should I eat oatmeal or eggs and bacon for breakfast is where it starts. the Lord proved His people in the desert by seeing who would obey His instructions when gathering manna.

turning to the Lord for His Judgements on any matter you deal with isn't abuse of anything. the more you look to Him in all that you do the better He likes it. if you walk with someone (in this case 24/7) they are involved with and in all you do.

also the premise seems presumptive that Gideon didn't believe. he just saw an angle tell him :

Jdg 6:11 And there came an angel of the LORD, and sat under an oak which was in Ophrah, that pertained unto Joash the Abiezrite: and his son Gideon threshed wheat by the winepress, to hide it from the Midianites.

Jdg 6:12 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him, and said unto him, The LORD is with thee, thou mighty man of valour.

and responded to it, while he was hiding in a winepress. if one is suffering persecutions like the Hebrews were and God shows up and says this is over, one could fear they are only hearing and seeing what they want to hear and not the real truth of God. the ancients were realistic about their own human frailties like dilutions of grandeur (God told me to do this) when one is disenfranchised like many do today. if this wasn't so why would the Lord be understanding of Gideon's requests. the Lord God honors faith, not doubt.

Active
The apostles asked "for a sign" in Acts 1:24-26.

Active
  • I think God sends us signs all the time in people and events in our lives and we just miss many of them.
  • What typically happens today, however, is that people want God to tell them via signs what to do.
  • The fact is that God has told them through His word seems to be never enough. But, I think for the most part, that is fine because of Philippians 4:6-7 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
  • I think, if you have the need, a sign would be fine but, are we equipped to recognize many of God's answers since the answer may not be what we are looking for.

Loyal
Indeed, asking for such signs would likely be tempting God and consider the temptation of Jesus here and his response:

"And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." Matt 4:6-7

What is it that we have to know before we are to simply move forward by faith?

"Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." John 20:29

Loyal
It is not unusual for God to speak something to you, and then later on have that word confirmed to you by another person. God told Paul he would go to the Gentiles, and then years later when they were in prayer the Holy Spirit said "separate" me Paul, and Barnabas for the work I have called them. (Acts 13:2)