• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. . . how

So, I'm going to a camp next week and will be teaching one night about the fear of God; the right fear and the wrong fear. But I'll be pairing up with another camper who will be talking about wisdom and knowledge and we have to make our topics blind. I know that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but I'm not sure I totally understand what this means. Anyone know?

Or any ideas about ways to teach the right fear?

Thanks! :smiley:

Loyal
Often the word "fear" in the Bible is the same as "respect".
In the case of Prov 1:7 it really means fear.
H3374
יראה
yir'âh
yir-aw'
Feminine of H3373; fear (also used as infinitive); morally reverence: - X dreadful, X exceedingly, fear (-fulness).

Here are a few more verses.. I have a lot to say on them, but no time this morning.

Heb 10:31; It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
Matt 10:28; "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Acts 13:16; Paul stood up, and motioning with his hand said, "Men of Israel, and you who fear God, listen:
Eph 5:21; and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.
Php 2:12; So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling;
Heb 12:21; And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, "I AM FULL OF FEAR and trembling."
Rev 14:7; and he said with a loud voice, "Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters."

We who are in Jesus, if we are truly walking in the Spirit have no need to fear.
Sometimes fear just means respect, sometimes it is a sense of awe. Sometimes it is just the overwhelming majesty of God in your presence.
The creator (of the entire universe). Respect for the one who gave up the Glory of heaven to come down and die for sinful men.

Yet, men today have no fear or respect for God.
2 Pet 3:3; Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts,
Jude 1:18; that they were saying to you, "In the last time there will be mockers, following after their own ungodly lusts."

Also see Matt 21:37; Mark 12:6; Luke 20:13; for respect. Also see what the owner of the vineyard does at the end of the story.

For majesty, I like..
Isa 6:1; In the year of King Uzziah's death I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple.
Psa 99:5; Exalt the LORD our God And worship at His footstool; Holy is He.

I think many people today have forgotten we are commanded to exalt the Lord, I think some people don't even know what "exalt" means.