The Duty of a Watchman

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:1)

Staff member
As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by failing to pray for you. And I will teach you the way that is good and right. 1 Samuel 12:23

God told Ezekiel, “I have appointed you a watchman to the house of Israel; whenever you hear a word from My mouth, warn them from Me” (Ezekiel 3:17). Watchmen stood on city walls, keeping their eyes open for danger, and sounding the alarm to rouse the people so the city wouldn’t fall to the enemy. Men of God often watched over Israel. Samuel was one such man.

God declared, “I searched for man among them who would build up the wall and stand in the gap before Me for the land, so that I would not destroy it” (Ezekiel 22:30). When the spiritual wall of nations’ defenses are weak, men of God are called to intercede for their people—to guard these gaps. You do this through intercessory prayer.

Samuel said that he’d be sinning if he ceased to pray for his people. Christian men today should also understand prayer as their duty. It’s easy to just kick up your feet and relax after a day at work, and you do need rest, but it’s also your duty to take matters to God in prayer. To do that, you must carve out some time in your schedule. Don’t neglect this.