• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The Commandments to Receive the Promise of the Holy Ghost

Active
JesusIs4Me,
re: "Do consider Paul's order given to all the churches in how to set aside a portion from the bounty collected at church service in support of missionaries in the field so that there be no separate collection for them when they come. 1 Corinthians 16:1..."

1 Corinthians 16 does not say that the Corinthians met together on the first day of the week for church service. The text merely says that everyone should "lay by him in store" on the first day of the week. The Wemouth reads: "Let each of you put on one side and store up at his home". Ballantine's Translation reads: "Let each of you lay up at home". The Syriac on this passage reads: "Let every one of you lay aside and preserve at home". And the New Catholic Edition of the Bible reads: "....let each one of you put aside at home and lay up whatever he has a mind to". This verse says nothing about going to services on the first day or even getting together on the first day. Nor is anything said about observing the resurrection on the 1st day of the week.

1 Corinthians 16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. KJV

I would have to disagree with Ballantine's translation because this was an order given to the churches whereby when the churches collected the bounty on the first day of the week, they were to set aside a portion from that bounty so that there would be no collecting or gathering when Paul or any of the other missionaries come.

To have it at home for when Paul or the other missionaries comes, gives the appearance of a special collection or gathering when they come, which is what they are trying to avoid that image of covetousness. This is what the churches agreed to in accepting that order from Paul so that it be ready and no gathering nor special collection for when they come to that church.