• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

The Beast revisted

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
The beast of the end times has been brought up several times. It is of course a controversial topic
and not everyone agrees on what the beast is.

Some say "he" is a man, some say "it" is a government, and some say "it" is simply an idea or even the media.

I won't get this all done in one post, so I'll start with the idea of a man.
Nazi Germany was a government, but it was driven by a single man. Adolph Hitler.
It's funny in this country, depending on whether you're a democrat or a republican, some characterize
Barack Obama or Donald Trump as Hitler. But no matter which you are, you have to agree the agenda
of the government changes drastically when there is a leadership change.

I'm going to jump slightly off track for a second, but I promise it's related to the beast.

Rom 5:12; Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned—
Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.
Rom 5:15 But the free gift is not like the transgression. For if by the transgression of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many.
Rom 5:16 The gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned; for on the one hand the judgment arose from one transgression resulting in condemnation, but on the other hand the free gift arose from many transgressions resulting in justification.
Rom 5:17 For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.
Rom 5:19 For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous.

There are some who think Adam wasn't really just a single man, but rather an "abstract of society at that time". (This is even taught is some churches) This seems innocent enough on the surface, but looking at the passage above we see that sin came to the earth through "one man's sin". We also see that grace and salvation grace came through "one man's obedience".

So if sin came into the world through "an abstract of society", does that mean that grace and salvation also come to the world through "an abstract of society"? No it only comes through one man. So in keeping with the context of the passage above, sin also came through "one man" (who was a type of him to come).

... so what does all that have to do with the beast? Again, I think the beast is the devil's version of Jesus.
It will be "one man". He may drive the government, but he is a man.

.... .... .... .... .... ....

Many take the "king of the north" in Daniel chapter 11 to be the beast.

Dan 11:21; "In his place a despicable person will arise, on whom the honor of kingship has not been conferred, but he will come in a time of tranquility and seize the kingdom by intrigue.
Dan 11:22; "The overflowing forces will be flooded away before him and shattered, and also the prince of the covenant.
Dan 11:23; "After an alliance is made with him he will practice deception, and he will go up and gain power with a small force of people.
Dan 11:24; "In a time of tranquility he will enter the richest parts of the realm, and he will accomplish what his fathers never did, nor his ancestors; he will distribute plunder, booty and possessions among them, and he will devise his schemes against strongholds, but only for a time.

This "despicable person" who has never been a king before, will seize the kingdom by intrigue and deception.
The strong forces "will be flooded away" before him "and shattered".. also "the prince of the covenant" (more about this prince later). He will accomplish what his fathers were never able to do.
An alliance will be made with him and he will practice deception. There is a lot more here, but I didn't want to post the entire chapter of Daniel 11.

Dan 11:32; "By smooth words he will turn to godlessness those who act wickedly toward the covenant, but the people who know their God will display strength and take action

It seems the people of God will be able to see through his deceptions.

Dan 11:37 "He will show no regard for the gods of his fathers or for the desire of women, nor will he show regard for any other god; for he will magnify himself above them all.
Dan 11:38 "But instead he will honor a god of fortresses, a god whom his fathers did not know; he will honor him with gold, silver, costly stones and treasures.

He will magnify himself above all other gods.

........ ........ ........... .......

If we jump to the next chapter we see something called the abomination of desolation.

Dan 12:10; "Many will be purged, purified and refined, but the wicked will act wickedly; and none of the wicked will understand, but those who have insight will understand.
Dan 12:11; "From the time that the regular sacrifice is abolished and the abomination of desolation is set up, there will be 1,290 days.
Dan 12:12; "How blessed is he who keeps waiting and attains to the 1,335 days!

The world won't understand what is going on during this time. But those "who have insight" will understand. I take this to mean those whom the Holy Spirit has given wisdom to.
We also see there 1,290 number here (approximately 3 1/2 years) that the abomination of desolation
will be going on. We see another number of 1,335 days. ( a 45 day difference) More about that later also.

This last verse about those "who keep waiting and attain the 1,335 days" is often taken to support a
post tribulation rapture.

.... next, the beast in the new testament ...

Loyal
The only book the beast is mentioned in, in the new testament is Revelation.
The first time we hear of him is after the "two witnesses" have prophesied on the earth for 3 1/2 years. (1,260 days)

Rev 11:3; "And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth."
Rev 11:4; These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth.
Rev 11:5; And if anyone wants to harm them, fire flows out of their mouth and devours their enemies; so if anyone wants to harm them, he must be killed in this way.
Rev 11:6; These have the power to shut up the sky, so that rain will not fall during the days of their prophesying; and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood, and to strike the earth with every plague, as often as they desire.
Rev 11:7; When they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up out of the abyss will make war with them, and overcome them and kill them.

The beast that comes up out of the abyss. (Some Bible's say "bottomless pit"). will kill the two witnesses here.
This is similar language to Revelation 13.

Rev 13:1; And the dragon stood on the sand of the seashore. Then I saw a beast coming up out of the sea, having ten horns and seven heads, and on his horns were ten diadems, and on his heads were blasphemous names.
Rev 13:2; And the beast which I saw was like a leopard, and his feet were like those of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion. And the dragon gave him his power and his throne and great authority.
Rev 13:3; I saw one of his heads as if it had been slain, and his fatal wound was healed. And the whole earth was amazed and followed after the beast;
Rev 13:4; they worshiped the dragon because he gave his authority to the beast; and they worshiped the beast, saying, "Who is like the beast, and who is able to wage war with him?"
Rev 13:5; There was given to him a mouth speaking arrogant words and blasphemies, and authority to act for forty-two months was given to him.

This beast comes up out the sea (the abyss?). Much is made about what and who the seven heads, ten horns and ten crowns are. Hopefully we'll get to that also.
Much is also made about the beast being like a bear (possibly Russia) a leopard (possibly Germany) and a lion (possibly Persia/Iran).
This beast will be in charge for 42 months (also 3 1/2 years). ike the beast in Daniel he will conquer the whole earth and cause many to worship him.

Another reason I tend to think of the beast as a man, rather than a government is here in Revelation 13.

Rev 13:14; And he deceives those who dwell on the earth because of the signs which it was given him to perform in the presence of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who *had the wound of the sword and has come to life.
Rev 13:15; And it was given to him to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast would even speak and cause as many as do not worship the image of the beast to be killed.

I personally feel it would be difficult to make an image of "the government". I suppose it could be a flag or a symbol. But I feel an image of a man is much more likely.
Especially since the beast can cause this image (statue?) to speak.

... to be continued ...

The only book the beast is mentioned in, in the new testament is Revelation.
The first time we hear of him is after the "two witnesses" have prophesied on the earth for 3 1/2 years. (1,260 days)

Rev 11:3; "And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth."
Rev 11:4; These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth.
Rev 11:5; And if anyone wants to harm them, fire flows out of their mouth and devours their enemies; so if anyone wants to harm them, he must be killed in this way.
Rev 11:6; These have the power to shut up the sky, so that rain will not fall during the days of their prophesying; and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood, and to strike the earth with every plague, as often as they desire.
Rev 11:7; When they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up out of the abyss will make war with them, and overcome them and kill them.

The beast that comes up out of the abyss. (Some Bible's say "bottomless pit"). will kill the two witnesses here.
This is similar language to Revelation 13.

Rev 13:1; And the dragon stood on the sand of the seashore. Then I saw a beast coming up out of the sea, having ten horns and seven heads, and on his horns were ten diadems, and on his heads were blasphemous names.
Rev 13:2; And the beast which I saw was like a leopard, and his feet were like those of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion. And the dragon gave him his power and his throne and great authority.
Rev 13:3; I saw one of his heads as if it had been slain, and his fatal wound was healed. And the whole earth was amazed and followed after the beast;
Rev 13:4; they worshiped the dragon because he gave his authority to the beast; and they worshiped the beast, saying, "Who is like the beast, and who is able to wage war with him?"
Rev 13:5; There was given to him a mouth speaking arrogant words and blasphemies, and authority to act for forty-two months was given to him.

This beast comes up out the sea (the abyss?). Much is made about what and who the seven heads, ten horns and ten crowns are. Hopefully we'll get to that also.
Much is also made about the beast being like a bear (possibly Russia) a leopard (possibly Germany) and a lion (possibly Persia/Iran).
This beast will be in charge for 42 months (also 3 1/2 years). ike the beast in Daniel he will conquer the whole earth and cause many to worship him.

Another reason I tend to think of the beast as a man, rather than a government is here in Revelation 13.

Rev 13:14; And he deceives those who dwell on the earth because of the signs which it was given him to perform in the presence of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who *had the wound of the sword and has come to life.
Rev 13:15; And it was given to him to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast would even speak and cause as many as do not worship the image of the beast to be killed.

I personally feel it would be difficult to make an image of "the government". I suppose it could be a flag or a symbol. But I feel an image of a man is much more likely.
Especially since the beast can cause this image (statue?) to speak.

... to be continued ...
Hi B-A-C, I noticed that you mentioned the two witnesses, there are Two men In Northern Ireland called Patrick Rushe and Patrick O'Kane. These men receive messages from Jesus and they are setting up houses of prayer that Jesus calls "refuges" for the times to come. I would recommend you take the time to look up the Two Patricks and An Invitation To Love Jesus which is connected to them and Jesus.

Loyal
I am putting this passage about "signs of the end times" here, because I believe these things have to happen before the great tribulation begins.

Matt 24:4; And Jesus answered and said to them, "See to it that no one misleads you.
Matt 24:5; "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will mislead many.
Matt 24:6; "You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end.
Matt 24:7; "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes.
Matt 24:8; "But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.
Matt 24:9; "Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name.
Matt 24:10; "At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another.
Matt 24:11; "Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many.
Matt 24:12; "Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold.
Matt 24:13; "But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.
Matt 24:14; "This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Much of this has happened, or is happening now.
But the tribulation hasn't begun yet.

Matt 24:15 "Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand),
Matt 24:16 then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains.
Matt 24:17 "Whoever is on the housetop must not go down to get the things out that are in his house.
Matt 24:18 "Whoever is in the field must not turn back to get his cloak.
Matt 24:19 "But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days!
Matt 24:20 "But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath.
Matt 24:21 "For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will.

The abomination of desolation (which it refers to the book of Daniel 12:11; here) has not happened yet.
No one in Judea has had to flee to the mountains yet.
And verse 21 says... "a great tribulation" ... such has not occurred since the beginning of the world. If we think of all the wars, and the holocaust, and the great depression,
the famines, black plague, and persecution of Christians over the centuries... none of that will be as bad as the great tribulation.

It seems to coincide with the beast performing the abomination of desolation ( Matt 24:15; )

Loyal
Matt 24:22; "Unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.
Matt 24:23; "Then if anyone says to you, 'Behold, here is the Christ,' or 'There He is,' do not believe him.
Matt 24:24; "For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect.
Matt 24:25; "Behold, I have told you in advance.
Matt 24:26; "So if they say to you, 'Behold, He is in the wilderness,' do not go out, or, 'Behold, He is in the inner rooms,' do not believe them.
Matt 24:27; "For just as the lightning comes from the east and flashes even to the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be.
Matt 24:28; "Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.

The passage above is part of the tribulation.
Some take verse 22 "but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short" to mean some Christians will go through the tribulation. I agree.
However this doesn't necessarily mean there won't be a pre-trib rapture. There will be many saved during the tribulation. This seems to agree with Rev 7:14;
That some saints will come out of the tribulation.

Verses 23 through 26 are some of the most controversial. This isn't talking about false religions... (Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc... ) none of those religions claim to be Jesus or "a Christ".
This is talking about false "Christians" and false "prophets". It goes on to talk about people who will say they've had some secret meeting with Jesus.. (in the wilderness, in the inner rooms, etc.. )
I imagine these verses are a particular problem for Mormons, and certain other "Christian" denominations.

When Jesus comes back... it will be obvious. The whole world will know. Like lightning flashing from the east to the west. (The same direction as the sun rise every morning)
I will not attempt to explain verse 28 here. I will just be honest and say, I don't know what it means. I've read many commentaries on it, some it's the spiritually dead, other says unbelievers,
still others say it's bodies of the saints after their "souls" were raptured.