• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

The battle rages on

Loyal
Several verses in the Bible say we are in a battle.

Eph 6:10; Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.
Eph 6:11; Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
Eph 6:12; For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Now I don't see a lot of Christians walking around in suits of armor and steel. This passage is using metaphors about the battle for our soul.

Eph 6:13; Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
Eph 6:14; Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH, and HAVING PUT ON THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS,
Eph 6:15; and having shod YOUR FEET WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE;
Eph 6:16; in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
Eph 6:17; And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Some people believe that when Jesus was resurrected the Battle was over. Jesus said "It is finished". But yet the passage above was written decades after Jesus ascended back to heaven.

Paul said he saw a war going on within him.

Rom 7:23; but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24; Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?

Peter warns us Christians about a Lion who wants to consume us.

1Pet 5:8; Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
1Pet 5:9; But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world.
1Pet 5:10; After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.

Our adversary... in other words.. our enemy.. is looking for souls to destroy. But we are to "resist him" in our faith. This verse says Christians all over the world are going through the "same experiences of suffering".

Most of this battle happens in our minds and thoughts.

Rom 8:5; For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6; For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,
Rom 8:7; because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so,
Rom 8:8; and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Paul says the flesh is hostile towards God. We don't even need Satan to tempt us sometimes, our own flesh is against God. Where is your mind? What are you thinking about?
Are you in the Spirit, or in the flesh?

Gal 5:16; But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
Gal 5:17; For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.
Gal 5:18; But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

If we are walking in the Spirit, we won't carry out the desires of the flesh. Many Christians say they are walking in the Spirit, but yet they keep on yielding to the flesh.
Galatians 5:17 says there is a battle between our flesh and the Spirit, "these are in opposition to one another".

Which side are you on? Are you doing anything you please... or are you walking in the Spirit "so that you may not do the things you please".

Rom 8:13; for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
Gal 6:8; For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.

Normally in a battle, you don't want to die. But in this battle, we have to die to the flesh.

Jas 4:7; Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

We still have to resist, we still have to stand firm. There are captives in this war, some of them are our very own thoughts.

2Cor 10:5; We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,

Some people say, but I can't control my thoughts. The verse above says you can.

Rom 8:7; because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so,
Rom 8:8; and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
Rom 8:9; However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

Well I've tried, and I've tried, but I just can't do it. Verse 7 above says those who have their minds set on the flesh are unable to submit to God.
If you are unable to submit to God, where is your mind? What is it set on?

There are more scriptures and more to say about this... but I am in too many threads already, and I am short on time this week.
We will see where this goes.

Loyal
With all the verses above that talk about our minds and thoughts, a few more scriptures about this come to mind.

Matt 16:23; But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God’s purposes, but men’s.” ( see Mark 8:33; )

Matt 22:37; And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ ( see Mark 12:30; Luke 10:27; )

1Cor 2:15; But the one who is spiritual discerns all things, yet he himself is discerned by no one. 16 For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he will instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.

I wonder if the mind of Christ entertained sin, and thought about fleshly, worldly, sensual things. Some Christians say they have the mind of Christ, but...

Matt 15:19; For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, acts of adultery, other immoral sexual acts, thefts, false testimonies, and slanderous statements.
Matt 15:20; These are the things that defile the person; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile the person.”

Heb 4:12; For the word of God is living and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, even penetrating as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

The war is Armageddon, the battle of Flesh VS Spirit:
Galatians 6:8 For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption.
But he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap everlasting life.