The 3 Greatest Revivals of the 20th Century

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:8)

(1) One of the most spectacular revivals ever was the famous Welsh revival of 1904-06. There were 100,000 converts in just 4 months. Churches were packed nightly and the unstructured services could last until 4 in the morning. Evan Roberts was the revival's central figure. He was basically an uneducated coal miner and was considered emotionally unstable by ministers who encountered him. Yet the fact that he was a passionate prayer warrior seems to be the key to why God chose him to lead the revival. I encourage you to watch the various excerpts in the posted video:

welsh revival youtube - Bing video

(2) The Welsh Revival spread to the Azusa St. revival of 1908 and that revival sparked modern Pentecostalism. An African American, William Seymour, was the central figure in that revival, which initially featured minorities and socially marginalized people. Seymour is the most spirituallly influential religious African American figure ever, and yet, few Americans have even heard of him! Here is an awesome documentary on that revival:

azusa street revival documentary - Bing video

(3) The Hebrides Revival (1952-54) was the 3rd great 20th century revival. The narrator of the posted video is Duncan Campbell, the central figure of that revival. I knw a retired pastor, whose blind father used to pray for revival with Duncan Campbell in Scotland. What is striking about this is that one of the 2 infirmed elderly Smith sisters, who catalyzed the revival by their agitation for long and regular prayer meetings, was also blind. I found this video's narration awesome and spell-binding:

the Hebrides revival documentary - Bing video

Last edited:
Just imagine how "thick" with the presence of the Holy Spirit the atmosphere in the Welsh revival must have been to inspire the unchurched to stay in church services until 4 AM, even though they then had to report to work, despite their lack of sleep! Many of the services had no structure or order of worship. They were led by the Spirit--singing in the Spirit, confessions, testimonies, etc. all night long! In one case, a would-be debunker came to the front and demanded a hearing, but as soon as he reached the altar area, he was slain in the Spirit and gloriously saved! It has been noted that in real revivals the Holy Spirit falls primarily on the unchurched rather than on the churched.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Matthew 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

Matthew 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25 Behold, I have told you before. 26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

Proverbs 25:26 A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring. 27 It is not good to eat much honey: so for men to search their own glory is not glory. 28 He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.

1 Corinthians 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. 24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber...… 7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

1 Corinthians 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. 10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Ephesians 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 4:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.....26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.