• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Taking The Lord's Name in Vain.

Loyal
Lev 24:16; 'Moreover, the one who blasphemes the name of the LORD shall surely be put to death; all the congregation shall certainly stone him. The alien as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.

Interesting to note this wasn't just for the Jews, but for the Gentiles as well.

Exod 20:7; "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

Deut 5:11; 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

Whatever happened to respect for our God and Lord? I continue to be amazed at how many "Christians" say things like... OMG ( Oh My God )

Jeez or Jeezus. G-d Da-mit. Jesus H. Christ. ( not sure where the H came from, and Christ isn't His last name ). Or slightly toned down versions.

Oh my gosh. Gosh dangit. Or as my Irish/Catholic uncle would say when he was shocked.. "Jesus, Mary and Joseph!".

Now I suppose you could say taking the Lord's name in vain isn't in the New testament. I would ask does that make it OK to profane the Lord's name?
But actually, it is in the New testament.

Rom 2:24; For "THE NAME OF GOD IS BLASPHEMED AMONG THE GENTILES BECAUSE OF YOU," just as it is written.
Rev 16:9; Men were scorched with fierce heat; and they blasphemed the name of God who has the power over these plagues, and they did not repent so as to give Him glory.

Matt 22:37; And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'

If we are using the God's name in vain, or using His name to curse someone, are we really loving God? Are we loving our neighbor for that matter.

I rarely watch anything on TV these days other than sports. Even that is iffy these days. I was flipping through 4 or 5 television shows last night.
I couldn't make it through a single one for more than 5 or 10 minutes without someone using the Lord's name as a curse. I'm not talking about just general curse words.
I'm talking about curses with God's name in them. Have we just become so calloused and hardened that we just don't care anymore?

Matt 12:36; "But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment.
Matt 12:37; "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

Loyal
Have you ever wondered why it has to be Jesus's name? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Oh my Devil" or "Satan H. Devil".
Mohammed dangit! Buddha da-mit! It seems to me, if someone really wanted to curse someone, they would use the name of someone actually
wants to curse, devour and destroy people. Beelzebub, Apollyon, Legion ?

Last edited:
Have you ever wondered why it has to be Jesus's name? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Oh my Devil" or "Satan H. Devil".
Mohammed dangit! Buddha da-mit! It seems to me, if someone really wanted to curse someone, they would use the name of someone actually
wants to curse, devour and destroy people. Beelzebub, Apollyon, Legion ?
I can tell that you're only kidding, but it just so happens that I know the answer to that. The reason no one ever curses in the name of Satan, Buddha, or Mohammed is that only people who believe in the existence of both good and evil ever think that there can also be both blessings and curses. People are a little bit smarter than we think they are, I know the outlook of moral relativism in Buddhism and the lack of morality in Satanism obfuscate the matter highly, but cursing someone else with an evil or unpleasant fate requires the curser to believe that the good God being invoked is both more powerful than the evil person being condemned and that consigning the cursee to proximity with a lesser, evil "deity" in the flames or a similar damned realm on earth is both possible, and that it can only be done by invoking the more powerful, and good God.

In other words, cursing is part of judgement, it's equivalent to passing a negative sentence on someone you think is guilty in a courtroom. You would only be able to call on the judgmental, lawgiving deity to do that for you, calling on a Nietzschean Satan, a long dead mere mortal like Muhammed, or a duelist philosopher like Buddha whose woke ideology was "beyond good and evil" to cause suffering to someone would be absurd.

Lev 24:16; 'Moreover, the one who blasphemes the name of the LORD shall surely be put to death; all the congregation shall certainly stone him. The alien as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.

Interesting to note this wasn't just for the Jews, but for the Gentiles as well.

Exod 20:7; "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

Deut 5:11; 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

Whatever happened to respect for our God and Lord? I continue to be amazed at how many "Christians" say things like... OMG ( Oh My God )

Jeez or Jeezus. G-d Da-mit. Jesus H. Christ. ( not sure where the H came from, and Christ isn't His last name ). Or slightly toned down versions.

Oh my gosh. Gosh dangit. Or as my Irish/Catholic uncle would say when he was shocked.. "Jesus, Mary and Joseph!".

Now I suppose you could say taking the Lord's name in vain isn't in the New testament. I would ask does that make it OK to profane the Lord's name?
But actually, it is in the New testament.

Rom 2:24; For "THE NAME OF GOD IS BLASPHEMED AMONG THE GENTILES BECAUSE OF YOU," just as it is written.
Rev 16:9; Men were scorched with fierce heat; and they blasphemed the name of God who has the power over these plagues, and they did not repent so as to give Him glory.

Matt 22:37; And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'

If we are using the God's name in vain, or using His name to curse someone, are we really loving God? Are we loving our neighbor for that matter.

I rarely watch anything on TV these days other than sports. Even that is iffy these days. I was flipping through 4 or 5 television shows last night.
I couldn't make it through a single one for more than 5 or 10 minutes without someone using the Lord's name as a curse. I'm not talking about just general curse words.
I'm talking about curses with God's name in them. Have we just become so calloused and hardened that we just don't care anymore?

Matt 12:36; "But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment.
Matt 12:37; "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."
In Romans 2:13-24, the reason why the name of God was blasphemed among the Gentiles was not because they were saying things like "OMG", but because they were misrepresenting God's name through what they were doing. In the Bible, a person's name had a lot more to do with who they are as a person and with their reputation for what they have done than to do with what they were referred to as, such as with all the ways that God is referred to in the Bible describing aspects of His nature. So someone who correctly knows God, but mispronounces His name nevertheless has a much better understanding of His name than someone who does not know Him, but who correctly pronounces His name. A parent who names their child "Jesus" is not giving them the name that is above all names because they have not done what he as done and do not have his reputation.

The command not to take God's name in vain can also be translated as the command not to carry God's name in vain. The Mosaic Covenant is often described in terms of being a marriage between God and Israel, and in Numbers 6:28, it says that God will put His name on His people, so it is like a wife taking her husband's last name when she gets married to him, and if she were to be unfaithful to him, then she would be carrying his last name in vain. God's reputation is valuable to Him and we are His ambassadors, so the way that we choose to live represents who God is to the world, but if we are unfaithful to Him by living in sin, then we misrepresent who He is and are stealing from what belongs to Him by diminishing His reputation in the eyes of others.

This is not to say that someone can't diminish God's reputation by using expletives, but that that is not specifically what the 3rd Commandment is referring to.