• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Studying the bible

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

I want to study the whole bible, and write down verses that mean something to me, and try to commit most of them to memory. Anyways my question is where do i start at? I have people that tell me to read mathew, mark, luke, and john first.. And to read those four books at least four times then read the rest of the bible .. I mean is this what i should do, or should i start in genesis? Like i said i want to study the whole bible and write verses out of each book and chapter that i feel like is really important.. But i dont want it to be all jumbled all over the place..

Loyal
I want to study the whole bible, and write down verses that mean something to me, and try to commit most of them to memory. Anyways my question is where do i start at? I have people that tell me to read mathew, mark, luke, and john first.. And to read those four books at least four times then read the rest of the bible .. I mean is this what i should do, or should i start in genesis? Like i said i want to study the whole bible and write verses out of each book and chapter that i feel like is really important.. But i dont want it to be all jumbled all over the place..
Terri...Start with the book of John...It established the divinity of Jesus....Once you have that rock solid, the Word will fall into place no matter where you decide to begin.

The New Testament is the most important thing to know, and it explains the Old testament. I started with that, then read Genesis to Revelation, the New Testament again, then Genesis to Revelation. Keeping that pattern has opened my eyes to so much of what's in the Word and has increased my understanding of it. Make sure you pray and ask the Holy Spirit for understanding every day before reading the Bible, and He will show you more and more each time you read it.

Friendly Greetings...

You might consider starting with John....

But of course, that's just a start!

An online source like biblegateway.com is a great resource with lots of links to related verses (i.e., a concordance).

That's also very helpful....

blessings...

Active
People tell you to read the gospels because they are the eye witness accounts of what Jesus said and did. It is good advice.

I would then just continue with the NT. Paul's teaching is next and for me, his teaching is Christianity as we know it. 3/4 of the NT is dominated by Paul's teaching for a reason.

Revelations is an interesting read. I feel you would need to read it with a Strong's concordance or something similar.

The OT is something you should not read without first having grasped the gospels and Paul's NT message. As the OT was God dealing with mankind / Jews chosen to be His people. They had no choice in the matter. He dealt with them very differently then He does us, living AD.