• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Studying hymns

Active
I like to study about hymns and their writers, it is a rich source of inspiring biographies of great Christians.
Today I looked up about Bishop Reginald Heber, who wrote 'Holy Holy Holy' which is a great hymn. I am struck by what a lot he crammed into a short life, what an amazing Christian man he was, such a legacy he left. So many people respected him and mourned his passing. India was not an easy place to convert people and the climate was tough on him.
What hymns and writers inspire you? Does anyone do what I do?
Our hymns which are so good to sing together at church or even alone were written by fine people of God, whose songs continue to spread the good news of Jesus and of God's love for mankind.

I know that my two favorite Hymns are Unclouded Day and When the Roll is Called Up Yonder. It takes singing to warm up for hymns. O Little Town of Bethlehem is good to start with for melody, and tone is at the forefront of O Come, O Come, Emmanual. You really have to start your set out with an invocation, then you can start your personal prayers with "I" in the lyrics.

Active
My favorite year round hymn is Joy to the World. It’s more than just a Christmas song. Like Isaiah 53 is more than a Christmas story,

Active
I like to study about hymns and their writers, it is a rich source of inspiring biographies of great Christians.
Today I looked up about Bishop Reginald Heber, who wrote 'Holy Holy Holy' which is a great hymn. I am struck by what a lot he crammed into a short life, what an amazing Christian man he was, such a legacy he left. So many people respected him and mourned his passing. India was not an easy place to convert people and the climate was tough on him.
Our hymns which are so good to sing together at church or even alone were written by fine people of God, whose songs continue to spread the good news of Jesus and of God's love for mankind.
"It is well with my soul" has always done it for me. I remember going to UD arena to hear the Gaithers years ago. And 'ol Bill, sat down at the piano, like he was in a country church with 50 in the congregation and led that song. and when 13,000 people answer "IT IS WELL!!!" it was indescribable -

Nowadays it's: "I AM WHO I AM BECAUSE THE I AM TELLS ME WHO I AM" chanted 10 or 12, or 15 times (as part of the "improved": There's a New Name Written Down in Glory) leaves me cold. BUT HEY - It ain't ABOUT ME, and the congregation gets into it.

Active
"It is well with my soul" has always done it for me. I remember going to UD arena to hear the Gaithers years ago. And 'ol Bill, sat down at the piano, like he was in a country church with 50 in the congregation and led that song. and when 13,000 people answer "IT IS WELL!!!" it was indescribable -

Nowadays it's: "I AM WHO I AM BECAUSE THE I AM TELLS ME WHO I AM" chanted 10 or 12, or 15 times (as part of the "improved": There's a New Name Written Down in Glory) leaves me cold. BUT HEY - It ain't ABOUT ME, and the congregation gets into it.

Yes,today worship in church has been replaced by repetitious chants.
I long for the fire and brimstone preaching of the past. It is all but forgotten.
Another sign of the times

Psalms 104:31-34

31 The glory of the Lord shall endure for ever: the Lord shall rejoice in His works.

32 He looketh on the earth, and it trembleth: he toucheth the hills, and they smoke.

33 I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live: I will sing praise to my GOD while I have my being.

34 My meditation of Him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the Lord.

Service held at the Temple of the Assembly of God - São Paulo - Brazil

Hymn sung by the Church - Aspiration for communion with GOD
Hymn: --> Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross - The Baptist Hymnal No. 280

In Portuguese language: "Ao pé da cruz" - Christian Harp - Hymn 289

Here goes the video:

May our Lord GOD bless and keep us, and give us His protection.
Amen