• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

study the Bible

Many Christians study the Bible like a lawyer studying a law book; their purpose is only to defend their own case. Therefore, it is their motive that is corrupted first, not their mind. They first have a tendency to covet in their heart; then their mind and whole being are dragged into the peril of covetousness. - Watchman Nee

let us be diligent but also in love
for God is Love
and in Him we have Life
abundant
and we need nothing for ourselves

guard your hearts and minds from corrupt speech
do all things for the Glory of God
not self
not man

Hi Eddy Fire, that is an interesting comment. However, I am inclined to disagree with some of what you wrote.

Do you recall when Paul and Silas were sent to the Bereans, who "were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so." (Acts 17:11) These diligently looked through the scriptures that they had in those days to make sure everything Paul and Silas said was in complete harmony with the Scriptures, and for this they were commended!

Studying the Bible like a lawyer studies law will prevent you from being mislead by false doctrines and false teachers, of which there are many on the Christian TV networks, which I would say is a noble motive and would definitely guard one's mind and heart! It is amazing what some of these TV preachers say, I think some of them just make it up as they go along.