struggles with smoking......

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:12)

Staff member
is smoking sinful? but i feel like it owns my life and it's part of who I am. I feel sometimes feel guilty for smoking and sometimes like it's ruining my life
Before or after the fact?
Meaning was it sinful before you came to the Lord, or just after you realized the damage it can do to your body now that you're a believer?

Oh, Welcome to Talk Jesus!

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
Nick
<><

Top Poster Of Month
You seem to know the answer and are indirectly or passively asking for encouragement and/or resolve.
Addictions are generally bad especially harmful ones.

Hi, @experienced-christian -

Sorry for the late response. I think your statement "but I feel like it owns my life" is the telling thing here. It makes me think of the verse: 1 Corinthians 6:12:
"I have the right to do anything," you say--but not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"--but I will not be mastered by anything.

I don't want to put any more guilt or condemnation on your shoulders. I think most of us know what it's like to have something that we feel "masters" us that we can't seem to shake. So, what I want to do is assure you that God loves you and that He cares for you. I think you need to take your eyes off of your sin or addiction or failures and put them firmly on Jesus Christ, always holding out in front of you what He did for you, how much He loves you and cares for you. In my experience, this has helped me break free of strongholds more than any introspection of my sins and failures. Trust that what He began in you, He will complete. And ask Him to bring resources into your life that will help you break free and just simply rest that He will do this work of setting you free in this area.