• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Strengthening by doing:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Strengthening by doing:

Yesterday I had a cool encounter with a elder man at “Winco”. I took my father in law to Winco so he could get a few things for cooking that he was short of. As I was standing by the front door waiting for Dan to finish his shopping, a elderly man came up to me pushing a shopping cart with his “walker” inside the basket along with a couple of food items. As he came up to me he was quoting scripture saying, “every eye shall see him, and that every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the Glory of God the Father”. I thought wow this is so cool, so I began to quote scripture right back to him, and he quoted scripture back to me that went along with what I had said. We never said anything to each other in your normal kind of talking conversation words, only what the Word of God said. We had a conversation with each other for several minutes just quoting scripture back and forth. I took a hold of this man's hand and thanked him for a wonderful time, he smiled, and walked off still quoting scripture.

I am reminded of a scripture that says, “As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens another man.” (Proverbs 27:17)

My wife and I set aside a time almost every day in the evening in which we talk about the Lord for about an hour or so. When I went down to babysit my grand kids for ten days, we missed that time. I was so preoccupied with babysitting I did not have time to read the Word. When I came home from baby sitting Barbara was so excited about a lot of things the Lord had taught her while I was gone. One of the things the Lord taught her has to do with “Christ who strengthens us”

Php 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

We usually think that Christ strengthen us first, and then we are able to do things. This is not the case at all. It is more like Christ strengthens us as we do things!!! It is Christ who strengthens us as we “do” all things.

Think about it this way, if I go to Walmart, and buy some dumb bells (weights), take them home and sit them on the floor, and look at them they will not do me any good. I would have to pick them up, and exercise with them to strengthen my muscles. The Word of God does no one any good unless we also pick it up and began to do what It says, by speaking it out of our mouths!!! Only then does Christ strengthen us by our exercising his Word. This is why the scripture says, “I can DO all things through Christ which strengthens me” Christ strengthens us by our doing!! If we never “DO” we never get strengthened!!

I never saw this before in the Bible. I just assumed God strengthens me, and then I am able to do, were in reality it is the strengthening happening at the same time as the doing!!!

The man I talked to at Winco was strengthening me, as I was strengthening him by speaking the Word of God to each other.