• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Spirit "and" Truth

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
John 4:23; But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.
John 4:24; God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

It's interesting that there are some places in the Bible that separate spirit "and" truth.
They can be the same thing, indeed the Bible mentions a spirit of truth.
But in this verse the word in pnuema. a current of air, breath or breeze. The rational soul, a vital
mental disposition. An angel or demon. A life giving spirit. A human soul that has left the body.

This word is not used a proper noun here. In fact in most Bibles, whenever the "Holy" Spirit is referenced,
He is capitalized. (S)pirit. But whenever any other spirit is mentioned (a man's spirit, an unclean spirit, etc...)
it is not capitalized.

So the spirit here, is not the Holy Spirit, but rather our spirit. What we believe in our spirit is not always the truth. So we aren't supposed to only worship in "spirit", but also in the truth. These are the ones the Father
seeks to be His worshipers.

We see something similar in 1 Cor 14.

1 Cor 14:14; For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
1 Cor 14:15; What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.

We can pray in our spirit, but if we do this our minds (reasoning) are unfruitful.
Paul asks, what is the outcome of this? The obvious answer is... this is fruitless.
So I will pray with my spirit... "and"... with my mind also. Our mind is where we discern the truth.
It seems we can also sing... "in the spirit", but we should sing with our minds also.

The mind is mentioned over 70 times in the new testament alone.
For example we should our MINDS on God's interest not ours. ( Matt 16:23; Mark 8:33; )
And we should love God with all our heart, all our soul, ...and all our MIND. ( Matt 23:37; Mark 12:30; )

So worshiping in the spirit is ok, and praying in only the spirit is ok. Even singing in the spirit is ok.
But praying with your mind (along with the spirit) is more fruitful. ... and worshiping in truth (along
with the spirit) is the kind of worship God wants.