• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Speaking in Tongues

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
The primary purpose of speaking in tongues is to promote spiritual growth. "For he that speaks in an unknown tongue speaks not unto men, but unto God: for no man understands him; howbeit in the spirit he speaks mysteries...He that speaks in an unknown tongue edifieth himself" (1 Corinthians 14: 2 and 4). When you speak in tongues, you're building yourself up spiritually. Speaking in tongues is an immediate audible manifestation of the Holy Spirit available to every Spirit-baptized believer. Tongues won't automatically force their way up out of your mouth just because you've been baptized. The Holy Spirit will never make you do something against your will. You must choose to speak in tongues. You must in your heart desire to operate in this gift that you already possess. The Person of the Holy Spirit who dwells within us is the One Who teaches us how to understand scripture. He is the power source for everything in our lives. You don't have to speak in tongues, you get to!
The church I was raised in didn't believe in the baptism in the Holy Spirit. Ignorance and wrong teaching predisposed me against the gift of speaking in tongues. Although speaking in tongues was available, negative feelings and fear prevented me from using it. It took me several years of studying God's Word before I was able yo let go of wrong teaching concerning this gift. Now I am able to yield to the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues. Until I saw what God's Word said about this, my faith wasn't strong enough to walk in it. (Romans 10:17). Now when I am in need of super-natural strength for anything in my life; the Holy Spirit reminds me that I possess a gift from God that will build me up, if I step out in faith and use it.
Speaking in tongues releases God's power in my life and it's available to every Christian who has received the baptism in the Holy Spirit. If you're not speaking in tongues, you're missing out!

Staff Member
Greetings sister @jaboyle100

Thank you for your post and for sharing your understanding of tongues.

Can you share a little of what happens when you speak in tongues?

How does it happen?

And can you share some scriptures to back this up.

Thank you.

Blessings.

Active
When I speak in tongues, I am immediately strengthened in my spirit with a knowing of how to handle a trial or an assault. I can't explain how it happens because it's a super-natural experience. I will try to explain how to go about it. If I were sitting with you in your living-room, I could probably do a better job, but here goes. Open your mouth. Start making syllables and word sounds. It might freak you out at first (did me), but you must remember that the sounds that come out of your mouth will seem weird to you , because you're speaking a heavenly language, not meant for you to understand, unless God also gives you the gift of interpretation. Speaking in tongues is a super-natural experience, a praying in the Spirit, and He will guide you into speaking in this heavenly language. The first time you attempt to speak in tongues, it will feel like you're forcing sounds to come out, but the more you open your mouth, the more syllables, different sounds, random word parts will come out. Through practice, you will start to gain awareness of your prayer language and feel comfortable with it. You need God's power to pray in tongues. You must ask for help on breaking through. I will share with you two ways speaking in tongues has radically changed my life: 1. Praying in tongues, (praying in the Spirit) gives me super-natural understanding of God's mysteries. "For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God. For no one understands him; however, in the Spirit he speaks mysteries."-1 Corinthians 14:2. NKJV. The Holy Spirit reveals mysteries to me about God, His will for my life, and the circumstances I am facing. As I pray in the Spirit, things that were previously mysterious and unknown to me will start coming into greater focus and clarity.
2. Praying in tongues empowers me to engage Spiritual warfare from the position of victory. "Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit."- Ephesians 6:18. During times of trial and assault, it is easy for me to become weary in the place of prayer, often not knowing what or how to pray. Praise God for the Holy Spirit! Paul reminds us "For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us."-Romans 8:26.
Recently, I was in the heat of Spiritual combat that lasted for almost a month. My flesh wanted to pray prayers that agreed with the size of the attack, emphasizing the problem rather than focusing on the size of the blood-bought victory that Jesus purchased at the cross. Praying in tongues empowered me to agree with God's victorious battle plan for my circumstances, no matter what was going on around me. It does not deny reality; it simply positioned me to agree with the higher truth of Scripture: Victory has been purchased, and it is mine through Jesus Christ.
God's Word clearly teaches that the gift of tongues is for today. This can best be seen in the three chapters of the Bible that deal specifically with the gifts of the Holy Spirit-1 Corinthians 12,13,14. Speaking in tongues is a gift from God and a powerful tool I will continue to use to edify myself spiritually. Love in Christ, Jan :smile:

Active
When I speak in tongues, I am immediately strengthened in my spirit with a knowing of how to handle a trial or an assault. I can't explain how it happens because it's a super-natural experience. I will try to explain how to go about it. If I were sitting with you in your living-room, I could probably do a better job, but here goes. Open your mouth. Start making syllables and word sounds. It might freak you out at first (did me), but you must remember that the sounds that come out of your mouth will seem weird to you , because you're speaking a heavenly language, not meant for you to understand, unless God also gives you the gift of interpretation. Speaking in tongues is a super-natural experience, a praying in the Spirit, and He will guide you into speaking in this heavenly language. The first time you attempt to speak in tongues, it will feel like you're forcing sounds to come out, but the more you open your mouth, the more syllables, different sounds, random word parts will come out. Through practice, you will start to gain awareness of your prayer language and feel comfortable with it. You need God's power to pray in tongues. You must ask for help on breaking through. I will share with you two ways speaking in tongues has radically changed my life: 1. Praying in tongues, (praying in the Spirit) gives me super-natural understanding of God's mysteries. "For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God. For no one understands him; however, in the Spirit he speaks mysteries."-1 Corinthians 14:2. NKJV. The Holy Spirit reveals mysteries to me about God, His will for my life, and the circumstances I am facing. As I pray in the Spirit, things that were previously mysterious and unknown to me will start coming into greater focus and clarity.
2. Praying in tongues empowers me to engage Spiritual warfare from the position of victory. "Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit."- Ephesians 6:18. During times of trial and assault, it is easy for me to become weary in the place of prayer, often not knowing what or how to pray. Praise God for the Holy Spirit! Paul reminds us "For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us."-Romans 8:26.
Recently, I was in the heat of Spiritual combat that lasted for almost a month. My flesh wanted to pray prayers that agreed with the size of the attack, emphasizing the problem rather than focusing on the size of the blood-bought victory that Jesus purchased at the cross. Praying in tongues empowered me to agree with God's victorious battle plan for my circumstances, no matter what was going on around me. It does not deny reality; it simply positioned me to agree with the higher truth of Scripture: Victory has been purchased, and it is mine through Jesus Christ.
God's Word clearly teaches that the gift of tongues is for today. This can best be seen in the three chapters of the Bible that deal specifically with the gifts of the Holy Spirit-1 Corinthians 12,13,14. Speaking in tongues is a gift from God. I am thankful for the prayer language He has given me. I will continue to pray in the Spirit to edify myself spiritually. Love in Christ, Jan :smile:

Active
God's Word clearly teaches that the gift of tongues is for today. This can best be seen in the three chapters of the Bible that deal specifically with the gifts of the Holy Spirit-1 Corinthians 12,13,14. Speaking in tongues is a gift from God. I am thankful for the prayer language He has given me. I will continue to pray in the Spirit to edify myself. Love in Christ, Jan :smile: