• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Speaking in Tongues: Its Origin [Ancient and Modern] , Purpose, and Power

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:11)

Loyal
What I was saying was the time frame Acts covers was more than 14 years. From the time of the upper room, until Paul meets the disciples at Ephesus was a period of a least 14 years.

You think you can be saved without the Holy Spirit?

John 3:5; Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Rom 8:9; However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

That would be another false doctrine.

Active
I have been Trying to share that at the moment of salvation -- the Holy Spirit comes to indwell a person.

The Holy Spirit Also came upon Mary so that she Could conceive as a virgin and give birth to the Christ child. Which made it possible for Jesus Christ To die on the cross as our substitute and rise again. The virgin birth -- Jesus Christ both 100 % deity and 100% human.

And the Holy Spirit Stays within a believer until they are safely with Jesus Christ.

Paul's ministry -- okay --- Jesus Christ's ministry was for 30 years. those 30 yrs. were Most important.

Staff Member
The baptism of the Holy Spirit takes place at the moment of salvation. The coming to indwell is the Holy Spirit immersing our soul -- baptism is immersion. Water baptism is the public action a person takes when they publically identify with Christ as a born-again believer. The person is immersed in water and brought back up immediately. It demonstrates what has already taken place inwardly.
It is as I see Baptism. An outward expression of an inward change.

Thanks for sharing this.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal
I have been Trying to share that at the moment of salvation -- the Holy Spirit comes to indwell a person.
I would agree with that statement the way it is worded. However this thread is about speaking in tongues. That doesn't happen at the initial "indwelling" of the Holy Spirit.
That happens at the "baptism" of the Holy Spirit. In fact all of the gifts in 1 Cor 12 are given during the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

As I said earlier, no one in the Bible received the baptism of the Holy Spirit, or spoke in tongues at the moment they believed in Jesus. In most cases, it was years later.

Loyal
That doesn't happen at the initial "indwelling" of the Holy Spirit.
That happens at the "baptism" of the Holy Spirit.

I am having a hard time to understand the difference between the indwelling and the baptism of the holly spirit, I would think they are the same thing?? can you explain a little more

thanks

Active
They Are the same thing. The indwelling happens as the Holy Spirit is being immersed / baptized Into the person. The person's soul is being 'immersed' by the Holy Spirit. And He, the Holy Spirit Stays in / with/ the person until the person is with Jesus Christ.

Active
There Are those who believe in a 'second-blessing' that some people say has happened to Them.

And there is Also the fact of our hearts being 'fuller or lesser' full , so to speak. Someone compared that to a car and it's gas tank. A car Can't run without gas. But it's Not Always full to the brim with gas. As we drive our car, we need to keep putting gas in it to make sure we don't run out. And in our spiritual life, we need to keep our spiritual tank at a good level -- Bible study , prayer, Christian fellowship. When we don't do that on a consistent basis, we begin to feel a bit 'worn down' and realize we need to get back To more consistency.

In the article you included -- it said There that Initially the Holy Spirit did Not come upon everyone right away. It didn't 'come' upon anyone until Jesus Christ had ascended back up to heaven.
Why God chose to have it happen Initially that way -- only He knows.

I know Personally that the Holy Spirit came to indwell me at the very moment I accepted Him. I felt it in my heart. And That is what Scripture teaches.

It's Also true that from time to time as a person is reading / meditating / that something New will be impressed upon them. That happens to me occasionally. We want life to be lived on the mountain top of spirituality. But it doesn't work that way. The 'valley' times of life help us appreciate the mountain times more.

When a person is being 'counseled' about their salvation -- leading a person To Christ -- there Will be some sort of positive 'change' observed in the person, it indicates that something Has taken place inwardly when that person Does actually 'accept Christ' as their Personal Savior. The person, themselves, will 'feel' a difference within themselves.

Loyal
I am having a hard time to understand the difference between the indwelling and the baptism of the holly spirit, I would think they are the same thing?? can you explain a little more

thanks
I think this makes sense a lot better now

While the baptism of the Holy Spirit is a once-for-all experience that takes place at conversion, we believe that the filling of the Holy Spirit properly refers to the moment by moment process of yielding oneself to the Spirit’s control. “Do not get drunk on wine…Instead, be filled with the Spirit” (Eph. 5:18 .................Randy Alcorn

Active
They Are the same thing. The indwelling happens as the Holy Spirit is being immersed / baptized Into the person. The person's soul is being 'immersed' by the Holy Spirit. And He, the Holy Spirit Stays in / with/ the person until the person is with Jesus Christ.
The Baptism of Water, and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit (and with fire) are two separate baptisms.

But they can happen at the same time. I see this more with audults. But it has to do with how fertile and mature your heart is to recieve the Holy Spirit.

Look at Peter. He knew Jesus was the Messiah. And he saw Jesus in the upper room after the Resurrection. Peter was present at the Accention of Jesus into Heaven, yet he still had not recieved the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Upon recieving the Baptism, It changed him inwardly

Active
Sue, being immersed can be used to describe a whole slew of things when we talk about God with us.

But there are certainly different Baptisms. John the Baptist tells us this as well. I baptize you with water etc.

It initial Baptism , we receive as adopted sons and daughters, to become His Children is with Water.

And the Baptism that fills us with the Holy Spirit is in the Fire of God.

The scripture is filled with references of this reguard. "Fan into a flame" (Apostle Paul) dont put under a basket the lamp, but let it shine for the whole world to see, (Jesus) the gold needs to be refined. Coming into the family of God. We are as raw gold. Now God will refine us, if we just let Him.. into a thing of beauty. And we become that with the filling of the Holy Spirit.

Many children of God dont know they have recieved the Holy Spirit. But you can tell by the fruits. Humility, love, unconditional love.

Loyal
Fruit of the spirit

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Active
Fruit of the spirit

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
No one can demistrate these fruits, unless the Holy Spirit is within them.

Loyal
No one can demistrate these fruits, unless the Holy Spirit is within them.

that is interesting, I never thought of it that way, but do you have any scripture to back that up?? I know plenty of unsaved people that have lots of self control, I am not saying you are wrong,

Active
that is interesting, I never thought of it that way, but do you have any scripture to back that up?? I know plenty of unsaved people that have lots of self control, I am not saying you are wrong,
How does anyone know another is saved or not saved. Just by saying i Know Jesus as my Lord and Savior is not a guarentee of Salvation. You can say that till the cows come home, but never believe it in your heart. Yet Paul says clearly, that these are the signs to know that a person does indeed have the Spirit with them.