• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Sometimes we forget how to read a New Testament Letter, Salutation & Greetings, Greek Form

Loyal
Example: for edification only.

Salutation and Greeting - 3 John 1:1-2
Third John is even closer to the form of the normal Greco-Roman letter than 2 John (see Introduction to 2 John). John uses a typical greeting, similar to saying, "how are you" or "I wish you well" todayGaius - 3 John 1:1
Gaius. The name Gaius shows up four other times in the NT. In each case, it has to do with someone who was associated with the apostle Paul (see notes on Acts 19:29; 20:4; 1 Cor. 1:14; Rom. 16:23). One was from Derbe, and another from Corinth. This was a very common name, and it is not clear if John is writing to someone Paul knew. John calls him dear friend (translated here as beloved), an important person in the circle of ,friends (v. 15). He may have been the leader of a house church, but that is not clear. He may not have held any authority, unlike Diotrephes (vv. 11-12). John tells Gaius he loves him in truth (v. 3). That could mean he loves him truly, but it probably has a similar meaning to walk in truth.

At the beginning of Greco-Roman letters, after the greeting the writer established his or her relationship with the readers. Most of the time this had a wish for the good health of the readers, as well as compliments about the readers’ character or behavior. Writers would also include a prayer that everything would go well for the reader, both materially and spiritually. This greeting is similar to saying “I hope you are well” today. John is praying that all is well with Gaius

This normal for any Greek letter.

Many may remember when we were young we were taught how to Head and write a Letter with Greetings "Dear John, I hope you are doing well today..etc then they taught us how to end one properly in the USA. I am quite sure other countries taught their students their customs how to begin and end.

Example: Only
(3 John 1)
King James Bible
1The elder, To the beloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth:
Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
New International Version
Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.
New Living Translation
Dear friend, I hope all is well with you and that you are as healthy in body as you are strong in spirit.

A Salutation and Greetings is only a common letter writing practice. Unless the Writer has specify that it is straight from "Christ" or "The Father" in the Text.

Only for those who would like to know.