• Hi Guest!

You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives.

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Six stone pots

Loyal
John 2:1; On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there;
John 2:2; and both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding.
John 2:3; When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus *said to Him, "They have no wine."
John 2:4; And Jesus *said to her,
"Woman, what does that have to do with us? My hour has not yet come."
John 2:5; His mother *said to the servants, "Whatever He says to you, do it."
John 2:6; Now there were six stone waterpots set there for the Jewish custom of purification, containing twenty or thirty gallons each.
John 2:7; Jesus *said to them,
"Fill the waterpots with water." So they filled them up to the brim.
John 2:8; And He *said to them,
"Draw some out now and take it to the headwaiter." So they took it to him.
John 2:9; When the headwaiter tasted the water which had become wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter *called the bridegroom,
John 2:10; and *said to him, "Every man serves the good wine first, and when the people have drunk freely, then he serves the poorer wine; but you have kept the good wine until now."
John 2:11; This beginning of His signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory, and His disciples believed in Him.
John 2:12; After this He went down to Capernaum, He and His mother and His brothers and His disciples; and they stayed there a few days.

There has been a lot of commentary on this passage, but I would like to look at it a little differently and focus on the pots for a few minutes.
Many times in scripture we are called "vessels". ( Rom 9:22-23; 2 Cor 4:7; 2 Tim 2:20-21; Rev 2:27, 1 Thes 4:4; etc... )
I notice in this particular passage several thing about the pots.
1. There were six of them. Why six? Six is the number of incompleteness. Six is the number of man. God worked for six days and rested on the seventh.
Is it possible the number six represent us here?
2. These pots already had water in them. It says they had 20 or 30 gallons of water in each one. "for the Jewish custom of purification". What is the significance of the water?
This Jewish custom was an old testament thing. Now it appears that not all of the pots were completely full.
3. In verse 7 Jesus says fill them with water. It says they filled them to the brim. Water is an interesting study in the new testament.

John 4:14; but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life."
2 Cor 4:7; But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;

Like the stone pots... we are earthen vessels. We can hold water.... but is that all we were meant to hold? I find it interesting that it says this wedding was on "the third day".
In this context, it likely meant the third day of the week, however can you think of another event that happened "on the third day".
Now the water pots are full... apparently there is somewhere between 120 and 180 gallons of water here.
Miraculously Jesus changes what is in the pots. We all know that part of the story. It was Jesus's first miracle.

What does the wine signify? Jesus talks about new wine.
Matt 9:17;
"Nor do people put new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the wineskins burst, and the wine pours out and the wineskins are ruined; but they put new wine into fresh wineskins, and both are preserved."
Luke 5:37; "And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the new wine will burst the skins and it will be spilled out, and the skins will be ruined.
Luke 5:38; "But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins.

Often wine is used to illustrate the Holy Spirit. This must have been some wedding party. Can you think of another wedding party mentioned in the new testament?
They have already ran out of wine once, and now they have around 120-180 gallons ( 680 liters) more of "new wine".
Unlike the water of purification, this wasn't meant to be keep in the pots. This was meant to be taken out and shared.
Jesus said it was to our advantage that he went away... because then He could send the Holy Spirit.

Let me attempt to tie this all back together. ...to be continued ...

Loyal
Could the water signify the old covenant. The wine signifies the new testament. After the third day ( Jesus was resurrected ) we can get the new wine.
Notice the headwaiter says "you saved the best for last" (my paraphrase). Jesus saved the best for last. The Holy Spirit can dwell in all of us, all of the time.

John 16:7; "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

Now I notice that Mary tells the servants in John 2:5; above "do whatever He tells you to do". This is similar to the passages below from Luke and Peter.

Acts 5:32; "And we are witnesses of these things; and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him."
1 Pet 1:2; according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure.

We are told to become new creations .. new creatures in Christ. The old vessel can't hold new wine. It will burst.