• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Christ centered community forums.

Join over 10,000 worldwide members today

Register Log In

• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to night mode (or back to light/default theme) simply click on the "Site Menu" icon on top and on the dropdown choose "Switch to Night Mode" or "Switch to Light Mode"

Thank you.

Sin Deceives

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:2)

Loyal Member
How does “sin” (as a lawless act) “deceive” a believer if they “know” what God’s word says about a situation intellectually?

They are deceived through how they “feel” emotionally; not intellectually. A believer can know what God’s word says from Genesis to Revelation, but if they do not have rule over their body/mind emotionally, they will be deceived (Pro. 25:28).

Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

How is Paul saying he was deceived in Roman 7:11? Paul knew what God’s word said, so how could he possibly be intellectually deceived? Sin as an action is not what deceived Paul. As we read other scriptures, Paul said, “I had not “known” sin but by the law, I had “not” known “lust” except “the law” had said “thou shall not covet” (Rom.7:7). Paul recognized it was how he felt emotionally when he was tempted that caused his deception. Paul didn’t feel the emotional struggle of sin until he was justified by the law.

Rom 7:8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, worked in me all manner of “lust. For “without the law sin was dead.”

Without a man being justified by the law Satan could not deceive a person, convincing them to transgress the law by fulfilling the “lust” of the flesh. Without the law sin was dead. Where there is no law there would be no transgression, because God would not impute sin where there is no law. So the question would be, can a believer be deceived “to sin” where there is no law?

Rom 4:15 Because the law works wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

Rom 5:13 For until the law “sin was in the world:” but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Rom 4:8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord "will not impute sin."

Loyal Member
It deceives you when you start thinking it's OK. It's not so bad.

Rom 5:13; for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Rom 5:14; Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.

Jas 1:12; Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
Jas 1:13; Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone.
Jas 1:14; But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust.
Jas 1:15; Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.
Jas 1:16; Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.

Rom 2:12; When the Gentiles sin, they will be destroyed, even though they never had God’s written law. And the Jews, who do have God’s law, will be judged by that law when they fail to obey it.
Rom 2:13; For merely listening to the law doesn’t make us right with God. It is obeying the law that makes us right in his sight.

Gal 5:18; But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

Rom 4:8; Yes, what joy for those whose record the LORD has cleared of sin.”

Heb 12:15; See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled;

Jas 1:22 But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.

Loyal Member
@B-A-C,
I believe the whole reason the Spirit of God had Paul write Romans 6 is for the reason you posted. For people that think it's okay to commit any actions without consequences they are not deceived, they are faithless. Because any person that can read God's word cannot be deceived if they read the comandments of love.