• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Signs of Christianity: self-control

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Acts 24:25; But as he was discussing righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come, Felix became frightened and said, "Go away for the present, and when I find time I will summon you."

It seems Paul taught "self-control" to people.

1Cor 7:5; Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
1Cor 7:9; But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Our sexual thoughts can get out of control. Twice in the passage above "self-control" is mentioned. This goes along with taking our thoughts captive. ( 2 Cor 10:5; )

1Cor 9:25; Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.

There are certain churches (typically extreme Calvinists) that teach God is in control of everything. Even when you sin, it is always God who causes you to sin. This is heresy.
Especially given there are so many verses about having "self-control". If we were puppets with no control over ourselves, why would the Bible mention "self-control" so frequently?

Gal 5:23; gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
2Pet 1:6; and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,

In fact Paul has a warning for those with no self-control.

2Tim 3:2; For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy,
2Tim 3:3; unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good,

Back in the 70's there was a popular comedian, his most famous line was "The devil made me do it". Of course the devil can't "make" believers do anything". He can tempt us,
but when we sin, it's because of our lack of "self-control".

Last edited: