• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Should a christian make vows or promises to God? &

Should a christian make vows or promises to God?
&
Can swearing be forgiven if you are swearing to show your right?

Dear Frank:

4 When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed.
5 Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay.
6 Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands?
7 For in the multitude of dreams and many words there are also divers vanities: but fear thou God.
Ecclesiastes 5:4-7

12 Above all, my brothers, do not swear, not by heaven or earth or by any other oath. Simply let your “Yes” be yes, and your “No,” no, so that you will not fall under judgment.
James 5:12

Frank, the first (and most important thing) our Heavenly Father changes when we become a Christian is our speech. It was by His Word that God created the earth. It is by our word that we can perform miracles in the Name of Jesus. It is by our speech that we most effectively display the beauty and holiness of God, Who we are to reflect.

It Is God, Himself, Who will vindicate us, and show that we are right, if that is necessary. But Scripture tells us that Jesus, "like a lamb before his shearers is silent," went to the cross without a single Word in defense of Himself. Let HIM defend you, if necessary, or else take delight in being like Him, and saying nothing even when you are right. It IS possible to be rewarded by God for being a martyr, without having to actually DIE for Him! Just suffering for His sake will get you in heaven a, "Well done thou good and faithful servant!"

God bless you, Brother! Bless you for your sincerity!

- Glen

2For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
3Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
4Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. 5Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
6And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
7For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
8But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
9Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
10Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
11Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
12Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.
James 3:2-12

I believe so, In Exodus Gen 17, Exodus 19, Jerm 31, Luke 22, God definitely makes promises with his people but they do not listen to him, I think it's important that we learn the promises that God has given us in the NT so we don't repeat the same mistakes in the past :)........

Should a christian make vows or promises to God?
&
Can swearing be forgiven if you are swearing to show your right?

The issue is people are capable of keeping promises with effort but most of the time we make a lot of excuses why we can't. Since Jesus has died, we have been given the power to overcome sin but the ultimate promise that we should me thinking is the promise we made with the covenant. This is a very important promise made between God and his people. When it comes to other vows, they are much less important compared to the one God already gave us in the Bible.

NO, NO, NO !! Do not swear an oath in the name of the Lord. Do not put yourself in a position you may not be able to fulfill, but yet be obligated to GOD to fulfill by your oath!!
If a believer sanctified by the Holy Spirit of GOD swears an oath in the name of the Lord, you are obligating the Lord GOD to fulfill the oath, either by/through you or by GOD Himself.
When we are born of GOD, we are ONE Spirit with the Son of GOD and GOD the Father. Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of GOD.
GOD speaks through us. The mouth of a believer that has been sanctified by GOD, is in fact the mouth of GOD, in that, GOD speaks through us.

We say this as in the Bible and from experience,..........because,............ about 37 years ago I thought about those lost in hell and said to the LORD,..........FATHER, your word stand forever, and whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved,.........if they only knew. I said to the LORD,.........(I do not recall my exact words),..........FATHER, we can't just let them burn in hell forever,........somebody has got to tell them, that if they only knew, they could call upon the name of the LORD and still be saved. I either made a vow or swore to the LORD I would go to hell to get them out,..........I only asked, please just don't leave me there forever,.....and began weeping. I don't even know if it's right to share these things.

If you would see me, you would be seeing the Father, for I am in the Father and the Spirit of the Father is in me, even as you are in the Father, and the Spirit of the Father is in you.
Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God (1 John 4:15).
They should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, 'For we are also His offspring.' (Acts 17:27-28)
"Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops (Matthew 10:27).

How far our efforts have gone up until now, I do not know. About 3-4 years ago, it seems like I was cut-off from the Spirit of Christ (perhaps so others would not blaspheme the Holy Spirit), or the Spirit has moved to other areas of the world for a time and will be back, but I feel spiritually dead, weak, tired, and weary with seemingly nothing but "dead ends."
It seems to be just like Abraham said to the rich man,...........'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.' (Luke 16:31)

"Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.' But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God's throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. But let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No.' For whatever is more than these is from the evil one (Matthew 5:33-37).

In the name of the Lord Jesus,..........may GOD bless.

Loyal
@CareGiver -- a person's salvation is between the individual and God. It's through Jesus Christ. No one can make that decision for anyone else. Jesus Christ -- the Son of God -- was the only One who Could and Did go to the cross, died / went to hell in our place/ and rose again bodily on the 3rd day.

The account of the rich man and Lazarus in book of Luke 16 -- both those men had died. The rich man went to Hades /Sheol / and Lazarus was in the Paradise part. The rich man was finding out that hell was No Fun. He was in torment. He begged Abraham to had someone warn his brothers of what was in Their future if they didn't repent. But Abraham told the rich man that he and his brothers and everyone else on earth had the prophets to listen to. Either the truth of God's Word is listened to and believed or the person will be lost. And forever is a Long, long time. it's forever.

The time for salvation is NOW for everyone. We share the Gospel unto salvation with whomever will listen. It's up to 'them' to either accept or reject.

Now days we have the entire Word of God to read / accept or deny -- no one will ever be able to bail anyone out of eternity in hell.

In the days of the New Testament -- the Holy Spirit came and indwelt the believer and stayed / stays with the born again believer until we are with Jesus Christ.

In the Old Testament the Holy Spirit Did 'come and go' upon people. But these days -- He does do that. We, the born again believer, Do move around a lot -- this is a very mobile society.

May I ask where you live? Every one needs to be around other believers for fellowship -- edification -- worshipping together.

that which God calls a person To do -- He Will give the strength, ability To Do that thing.

Everyone needs good nutrition, proper rest and Christian fellowship to function in a healthy way.

Loyal
Well, I think the Bible says: no you shouldn't, because you cannot change one thing into another.

But one thing I Do know! He gave us some "promises". He promise some are going to Hell and some ain't :eyes:

I do know how to Read! And it wasn't for going to "Havard" either!

But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your “yes” be yes and your “no” be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation. James 5:12

Loyal
What does blasphemy against the Spirit mean? Some have said it could only happen when Jesus Christ was here on earth.

Some say that it's refusing to accept Jesus Christ as personal Savior. There is no other way Of salvation.

Some have said that it's attributing to satan tha which is obviously of God.