• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Sheep and Goats revisted

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Matt 25:31; “But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne.
Matt 25:32; All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats;
Matt 25:33; and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.
Matt 25:34; “Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

"All" the nations. That's everyone. You, me, every person who ever lived. Jesus is going to separate us
into two groups. You're either a sheep or a goat. You're either a wheat or a tare. You're either a good fish or a bad fish. There is a kingdom, it has been being prepared for us since the world was created. Not everyone will make it to that kingdom. This is one of the things that decides where you spend eternity.

Matt 25:35; For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in;
Matt 25:36; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’
Matt 25:37; Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink?
Matt 25:38; And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You?
Matt 25:39; When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’
Matt 25:40; The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’

To be a sheep requires some active participation. We don't always have opportunity to do these things everyday, but we all know someone who has been hungry or sick or in need.

Matt 25:41; “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;
Matt 25:42; for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink;
Matt 25:43; I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’
Matt 25:44; Then they themselves also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?’
Matt 25:45; Then He will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’
Matt 25:46; These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

There is another place that has been prepared also. It was originally intended for the angels that betrayed God. This is where the goats end up. Are you a sheep or a goat? Have ever visited anyone in the hospital, or prison? Have you ever given to the poor and needy? Have you ever fed the hungry? If not.. maybe it's time to do something about it. This doesn't necessarily mean go to a third world country and join the peace corps. There are needy people all over the place. Probably even in the community you live in.

Active
It always bothers me somewhat when parents refer to their children as 'kids' . Arent they meant to be lambs, so why are you calling them kids? No wonder they act up all the time.

Loyal
It always bothers me somewhat when parents refer to their children as 'kids' . Arent they meant to be lambs, so why are you calling them kids? No wonder they act up all the time.
God changed the languages of men at least once in scripture. Men are changing the meaning of words all of the time. Those changes may not be good, but unless we are God how can we convince them to do it better?

Loyal
Sheep on the right and goats on the left. If we are not a sheep, how would we go about becoming one?

Actively participate? Yes, in the work of God, but when one is not born a sheep, how is one changed into a sheep so as to be able to actively participate?

Or perhaps each of us has the sheep nature within us along with the beasts. If we were to kill the beasts, would not that which remains [the sheep] be able to hear the Shepherd's voice?

"I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts." Ecc 3:18

"Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:

She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table." Prov 9:1-2

The beasts were also saved in the boat [Noah's Ark], but the men were at the top of the boat. Why was that? Was being at the top like being on the right?

Active
You asked the question, "Have ever visited anyone in the hospital, or prison? Have you ever given to the poor and needy? Have you ever fed the hungry? "

then you offer advice and state, "If not.. maybe it's time to do something about it."

Well said, well said.

Active
God changed the languages of men at least once in scripture. Men are changing the meaning of words all of the time. Those changes may not be good, but unless we are God how can we convince them to do it better?
True, but does it show peoples true nature or demonstrate their allegience when they refer to their children as kids? Its like when people swear and say Jesus Christ! When something goes wrong.

Do they know that He hears that or are they just saying that?

Everytime my boss swears or says Jesus Christ, I think I should say..Is our Lord and .saviour! Or when he says Jesus Christ! I reckon I should remind him..is the Son of God!

And everytime someone says 'my kids' I might say, and how are your lambs? Or more importantly, WHERE are your lambs??? Shouldnt you be feeding or looking after them???

Active
Personally I wouldnt think christian parents would be referring to their children as kids or children in sunday school but I hear it all the time. :-(

As for visiting the sick and people in prison, I wish when I was sick the doctor would visit me at home but I have to get out of bed and go and see and pay for a doctor. Which is stupid. They ought to come to my house!

I have been to visit a prison and its such a mission getting in that few people would want to go there but they make it really hard to visit anybody there plus at hospitals you have to pay for parking.

I mean people go, but the way hospitals and prisons are run is really sad to see, I work in a retirement village and one of them is like a prison, and its very difficult to visit anyone there, like literally you have to go through so many hoops just to see anyone and people are literally dying in these lock ups and never get to see their families :-(

So please make effort, when I was in hospital mum said they (the hospital system) tried to stop people seeing me.

Loyal
Some people see "pet" names as a term of endearment of affection.

I myself have said in the context of my grand-kids (yes I said "kids"). Where are those little monkeys today.
When my children were growing up.. we called them "kids". No one was offended by this. The children
and grand-children know they are loved. It may be that having someone else call them monkeys might offend them,
but having gramps do it is OK in their book. We live in the age when everything offends everybody.
The fact is... not everyone is offended by everything.

Loyal
Being called a fox by Jesus wasn't always a good thing. ( Luke 13:32; )
But in today's society in the US, many women enjoy being told they are "a fox".

Jesus called unbelieving Gentiles "dogs". Matt 15:26; Mark 7:27;
A popular song from a few years back asks.. "who let the dogs out?" but it's
not talking about canine dogs.

Jesus called people who do recognize or appreciate the value of spiritual thing "swine". Matt 7:6;

Jesus called the Pharisees a "brood of vipers". Matt 12:34;

Active
Its insulting to call a woman a fox do you know that, not a compliment, as is calling her a dog.
Its about the same as calling a woman a pig or a b-i-t-c-h or cow. You might think you are saying they are attracitve but its the attractiveness of a skunk or wolf.Foxes are actually vicious predators.

Calling children kids and monkeys is pretty much the same as saying they are brats who run wild.

People now own it but they should know better, the same as shooting their mouth of swearing, saying f- this and s- that, or b- or c-. All filthy talk. It is actually offensive and dirty language.

Active
Pet names, be very careful what you call people.

I have had people say to me theybe been called names as a child and years later they still have that label, like filthy creature, silly, nutjob, etc.

When Jesus called people, he called them by name and even gave some of his disicple new names, but it was clear he never called children kids and quite explicitly said in his parable, there are separation between sheep and goats. He also said to Peter, feed my sheep, feed my lambs and he wasnt talking literally.

Jesus is also depicted as the lamb of God. God is depicted as a SHEPHERD not a goatherd. Goats have no need of a shepherd and you need no looking after..they are rebellious and will just eat everything pretty much. People need to literally tie them up to stop them eating them out of house and home. If you ever farmed sheep and goats maybe you might know this. If you dont know anything about the traits of Goats and kids why are you calling people after them. Do you really know what you are saying?

So maybe for many christians its in one ear and out the other, do as I say, not as I do?

Loyal
True, but does it show peoples true nature or demonstrate their allegience when they refer to their children as kids? Its like when people swear and say Jesus Christ! When something goes wrong.

Do they know that He hears that or are they just saying that?

Everytime my boss swears or says Jesus Christ, I think I should say..Is our Lord and .saviour! Or when he says Jesus Christ! I reckon I should remind him..is the Son of God!

And everytime someone says 'my kids' I might say, and how are your lambs? Or more importantly, WHERE are your lambs??? Shouldnt you be feeding or looking after them???
While you may be very right in this, but for unbelievers, what would or should we expect? For believers, we should ask what does God see in their hearts, in spite of their words?

My step-father was a very good man insofar as the ways of the flesh went even though he did not know God. He grew up in the Azores a group of Portuguese Islands in the Atlantic Ocean. When he arrived in the United States in WWII, he spoke only Portuguese. He entered the U.S. Army and learned English as most American G.I. [soldiers] normally spoke it with a very liberal sprinkling what we would call cuss words used in place of or in addition to most acceptable adjectives acceptable in any company. Anger or accusation or abuse were not contained or intended in those foul [on the surface to most people] words he used for the remainder of his life. No, he never to my knowledge served God or attended any church but in spite of his colorful language people loved him for the man he was.

My paternal [mother of my biological father] grandmother a very sincere pentecostal believer came to visit us very regularly over the years and had great praises for my step-father even though she more than once said she wished that he would or could clean up his language. She did not like the language, but she recognized the goodness and sincerity of his heart and treated him as she did everyone. [She was always close to Jesus]. He was not my biological father, but I loved him and wept when he died a few years ago. His use or abuse of the English language never changed.

Active
Unbelievers, I dont expect them to realise, but believers, are called to higher things and to have good conversation, not be given to wrath, and also, to be slow to speak. Of course you treat them just the same with grace despite their language, but, we are called to account for every idle word we say.

There is quite a difference between treating children as kids, as treating them as lambs, actually a HUGE difference. Many parents, when they talk of their ' kids'are very dismissive of them. The way they speak of them and treat them its like they are a nuisance, because they are 'just kids'. Not precious, but expendable.

Loyal
Unbelievers, I dont expect them to realise, but believers, are called to higher things and to have good conversation, not be given to wrath, and also, to be slow to speak. Of course you treat them just the same with grace despite their language, but, we are called to account for every idle word we say.

There is quite a difference between treating children as kids, as treating them as lambs, actually a HUGE difference. Many parents, when they talk of their ' kids'are very dismissive of them. The way they speak of them and treat them its like they are a nuisance, because they are 'just kids'. Not precious, but expendable.
Remember also that not everyone is where you are in the Lord. We are to grow certainly, but we are only able to act correctly on what we understand and as the Lord directs us. Someone starting at the bottom, where we all begin, has to go through everything that God placed before him. Someone who has already passed certain things is expected in those areas to know better.

It really still comes back to what a person who uses seemingly wrong words has in his heart when he does so. What is it that God sees in the person's heart. On that is based the judgment of that moment. Later, as the person grows in the things of God then God likely will not be quick to wink and let the person go without immediate admonishment or chastisement.

Active
Of course but am just saying that, not to point out motes in peoples eyes but to be careful on how we treat our children, who Jesus calls 'my lambs'. He would be offended that people are so dismissive of his little ones.

They are 'the least of these' and we visit them in hospital, give them water, get them out of prison...they need looking after you cannot just abandon them and leave them to their own devices. They are not 'just kids'.

Loyal
I suppose I should quit calling my wife "honey" or "baby" or sweetie pie". After all babies are immature, so I might offend her.
Pies are full of unhealthy sugar and are fattening so she might think I am insulting her.

Song of Sol 1:9; "To me, my darling, you are like My mare among the chariots of Pharaoh.
Song of Sol 2:3; "Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest, So is my beloved among the young men. In his shade I took great delight and sat down, And his fruit was sweet to my taste.
Song of Sol 2:14; "O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, In the secret place of the steep pathway, Let me see your form, Let me hear your voice; For your voice is sweet, And your form is lovely."
Song of Sol 4:5; "Your two breasts are like two fawns, Twins of a gazelle Which feed among the lilies.
Song of Sol 6:9; But my dove, my perfect one, is unique: She is her mother's only daughter; She is the pure child of the one who bore her. The maidens saw her and called her blessed, The queens and the concubines also, and they praised her, saying,
Song of Sol 8:14; "Hurry, my beloved, And be like a gazelle or a young stag On the mountains of spices."

There is nothing wrong with pet names. I'm not going to change what I call people if they appreciate it.

Active
Well ask your wife is she wants to be called a baby! What do you call your baby? She might be honest and say well, I actually dont like it. Lol. She probably has a lovely name God has given her if you would ask Him what it really is...

Does she call you a baby?

Active
I dont know about sweetie pie, there was this really disgusting movie made about pies called american pie that would totally put me off anyone calling me a pie.

But I suppose americans do mangle the english language, in England for example, if you called someone a tart which is a sweet pie, you are calling them a prostitute.

Doves and lambs, ok.

Kids and snakes and dogs, not. Also, be aware that kids grow up to be...goats.

Active
I call my cat..mummy cat. She doesnt mind because she is actually a real cat and a pet. Lol. And she was a mum, but her kittens ran away. We do tease her about this.

I call my chicken Martha. Because she bossed Mary, her sister, around. Poor Mary got killed by next doors dog, who doesnt have a name as far as I know, we just call it that bad dog.

When I was teaching 23 children at school I did make an effort to learn everyones names. I never called them kids, if I didnt know them I was addressing them they would be room 7 or so and so primary, everyone, children, boys and girls.

I just think it is respectful to treat others as you would like to be treated. I think its really sad when people dismiss children as kids, feed them junk, tell them to get lost, and dont bother to look after them.

On judgement day Jesus is going to ask you, did you feed my lambs? If you say no well i just entertained the kids, what lambs? well, hello, what parable did you just quote above?

Active
I suppose I should quit calling my wife "honey" or "baby" or sweetie pie". After all babies are immature, so I might offend her.
Pies are full of unhealthy sugar and are fattening so she might think I am insulting her.

Song of Sol 1:9; "To me, my darling, you are like My mare among the chariots of Pharaoh.
Song of Sol 2:3; "Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest, So is my beloved among the young men. In his shade I took great delight and sat down, And his fruit was sweet to my taste.
Song of Sol 2:14; "O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, In the secret place of the steep pathway, Let me see your form, Let me hear your voice; For your voice is sweet, And your form is lovely."
Song of Sol 4:5; "Your two breasts are like two fawns, Twins of a gazelle Which feed among the lilies.
Song of Sol 6:9; But my dove, my perfect one, is unique: She is her mother's only daughter; She is the pure child of the one who bore her. The maidens saw her and called her blessed, The queens and the concubines also, and they praised her, saying,
Song of Sol 8:14; "Hurry, my beloved, And be like a gazelle or a young stag On the mountains of spices."

There is nothing wrong with pet names. I'm not going to change what I call people if they appreciate it.
You made your point pretty clear to me. I see it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TRUTH BE TOLD Bible Discussions 6
C Bible Discussions 82
C Bible Discussions 2