• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Seven Spirits of God

Shalom,
Praise Be to the LORD!

I have been studying for while now and I'm yet to discover the meaning of the "Seven Spirits of God". Many bible sites/Books either deal with it shallowly or ignore it. But I believe there is wonderful thing hidden behind the expression. Have anyone here discover a verse that explains this?

see the verses below for clarifications:

Rev 4:5 said:
And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and [there were] seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

Rev 5:6 said:
And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

God bless you!

That is a matter of some conjecture. There are three New Testament scriptures that reference the "Seven Spirits" of God (Rev 3:1, 4:5,5:6). Below is the opinion of a two commentaries each on all three verses.

From Albert Barnes Notes on the Bible:
Which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth - See the notes on Rev_1:4. That is, which represent the seven Spirits of God; or the manifold operations of the one Divine Spirit. As the eye is the symbol of intelligence - outward objects being made visible to us by that - so it may well represent an all-pervading spirit that surveys and sees all things. The eye, in this view, among the Egyptians was an emblem of the Deity. By the “seven Spirits” here the same thing is doubtless intended as in Rev_1:4; and if, as there supposed, the reference is to the Holy Spirit considered with respect to his manifold operations, the meaning here is, that the operations of that Spirit are to be regarded as connected with the work of the Redeemer. Thus, all the operations of the Spirit are connected with, and are a part of, the work of redemption. The expression “sent forth into all the earth,” refers to the fact that that Spirit prevades all things The Spirit of God is often represented as sent or poured out; and the meaning here is, that his operations are as if he was sent out to survey all things and to operate everywhere. Compare 1Co_12:6-11.
And:
These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God - See the notes on Rev_1:4. If the phrase, “the seven Spirits of God,” as there supposed, refers to the Holy Spirit, there is great propriety in saying of the Saviour, that he has that Spirit, inasmuch as the Holy Spirit is represented as sent forth by him into the world, Joh_15:26-27; Joh_16:7, Joh_16:13-14. It was one of the highest characteristics that could be given of the Saviour to say, that the Holy Spirit was his to send forth into the world, and that that great Agent, on whose gracious influences all were dependent for the possession of true religion, could be given or withheld by him at his pleasure.

And:
Which are the seven Spirits of God - Which represent, or are emblematic of, the seven Spirits of God. On the meaning of the phrase, “the seven Spirits of God,” see the notes on Rev_1:4. If these lamps are designed to be symbols of the Holy Spirit, according to the interpretation proposed in Rev_1:4, it may be perhaps in the following respects:
(1) They may represent the manifold influences of that Spirit in the world - as imparting light; giving consolation; creating the heart anew; sanctifying the soul, etc.
(2) they may denote that all the operations of that Spirit are of the nature of light, dissipating darkness, and vivifying and animating all things.
(3) perhaps their being placed here before the throne, in the midst of thunder and lightning, may be designed to represent the idea that - amidst all the scenes of magnificence and grandeur; all the storms, agitations, and tempests on the earth; all the political changes; all the convulsions of empire under the providence of God; and all the commotions in the soul of man, produced by the thunders of the law - the Spirit of God beams calmly and serenely, shedding a steady influence over all, like lamps burning in the very midst of lightnings, and thunderings, and voices. In all the scenes of majesty and commotion that occur on the earth, the Spirit of God is present, shedding a constant light, and undisturbed in his influence by all the agitations that are abroad.

From John Gill's Exposition of the Whole Bible:
and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent into all the earth; which some understand of angels, and of a sufficient number of them, which belong to Christ, and are at his command, and who are ready to do his will, and to be sent forth by him, into the several parts of the earth, to execute his pleasure: but these rather design the Spirit of God and his gifts, which Christ received without measure, both in his human nature, at his incarnation, and after his resurrection from the dead, and ascension; which he bestowed on his apostles and ministering servants, whom he sent forth into all the world, to preach his Gospel with them; and which he has, more or less, ever since continued to do. The Ethiopic version reads in the singular number, "and this is the Spirit of God which is sent into all the earth"; See Gill on Rev_1:4; these "seven eyes" may design the perfect knowledge of Christ, his foresight of future events, and his all wise providence, which is always and everywhere concerned to fulfil and accomplish them; so that he is every way qualified to take the book of future events, as to the church and world, and reveal it, open and explain it, and fulfil the things contained in it; see Zec_3:9.
And:

these things saith he that hath the seven spirits of God; the fulness and perfection of the gifts and graces of the Spirit of God, as in Rev_1:4, which Christ, as Mediator, has without measure, and are at his dispose, and which he, having received for men, gives unto them; and at the time of the Reformation bestowed them on many eminent servants of his in a very plenteous manner; for which reason he assumes this character in writing to this church:

And:
which are the seven spirits of God; in allusion to the seven lamps in the tabernacle and temple, which were trimmed by the priests, and always kept burning, and are expressive of the Spirit, and his gifts; and these being signified by the number "seven", denote the fulness and perfection of them; and being said to be "before the throne", show that there is always a sufficiency of them for the supply of the churches in all ages, to fit and qualify proper persons to minister the word, and administer ordinances; and these being called "lamps of burning fire", point at the light the Spirit of God in his gifts communicates to the churches; and that warmth and heat, comfort and refreshment; conveyed to them, through the preaching of the Gospel, and the dispensation of the ordinances of it, under his illuminating and quickening influences.

Seven Spirits of God

Pro 8:12
I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions.

Isa 11:2 And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;

Exo 31:3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,

compare pro 8:12 and Exo 31:3 The Spirit of knowing how to make things, invent things, find out how to do things.

Knowledge and Understanding (Prov 4:7)
counsel, comfort (Joh 15:26) (Isa 11:2)
Might (2Ti 1:7) Spirit of power
Fear of the Lord
Revelation
Peace (John 14:27 Jesus left his peace)

Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him

Spirit of Adoption!!!! That makes seven. (If you count it this way)

Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

There is only one Holy Spirit, however there are different operations of the same Spirit.

1Co 12:6
And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

It is very clear that the Holy spirit has several operations each distinct and powerful on their own. Each spiritual part has a purpose. It's sort of hard to picture this as there is only one Holy Spirit.

Lets say you have auto shop. Each worker does something different specific to a car. One works on engines, one works on tires, one works on the electric systems. They are the workers of the auto shop but do different things that are specific and powerful.

When stumped with something or needing direction we need the Spirit of Wisdom and understanding. We need that function of God's Spirit.

If we are sad, and frustrated we need the Spirit of counsel. A focused and specific function of the Holy Spirit. These are characteristics of who God is, and What God will do for us.

Some scriptures combine these as just One Spirit.

Zec 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

We know from other scriptures that there is a Spirit of Power, and Spirit of Might. However, God's Spirit covers all those so God was making a point on What He is going to use to get the job accomplished, and the operation of power and might would not be displayed in this case.

When reading Revelation we see horns and eyes, the Seven Spirits of God. We know that they were sent to the earth, and by other scriptures we have a good idea of what they were sent to accomplish, though it's the self same Spirit that addresses different issues, in a different operation.

Jesus Is Lord.

Shalom,
Praise Be to the LORD!

I have been studying for while now and I'm yet to discover the meaning of the "Seven Spirits of God". Many bible sites/Books either deal with it shallowly or ignore it. But I believe there is wonderful thing hidden behind the expression. Have anyone here discover a verse that explains this?

An interesting article in Wikipedia concerning that. I don't know if I can post it.
Uh Nope Not enough posts yet. lol Just look up Seven Spirits of God in Wikipedia. Not the bible but it might give you a jumping in place.

Seven spirits

Zec 4:10 Who [with reason] despises the day of small things? For these seven shall rejoice when they see the plummet in the hand of Zerubbabel. [These seven] are the eyes of the Lord which run to and fro throughout the whole earth.(4) AMP.........

This remains a unknown in the Bible.

The Holy Spirit have been given many Attributes.

<dl><dd>1 — the Spirit of the Lord;</dd><dd>2 — the Spirit of wisdom;</dd><dd>3 — the Spirit of understanding;</dd><dd>4 — the Spirit of counsel;</dd><dd>5 — the Spirit of might;</dd><dd>6 — the Spirit of knowledge;</dd><dd>7 — and the Spirit of the fear of the LORD.</dd></dl>I gave some above, like the Spirit of adoption.

Rev 4:5 Out from the throne came flashes of lightning and rumblings and peals of thunder, and in front of the throne seven blazing torches burned, which are the seven Spirits of God [[3] the sevenfold Holy Spirit]; AMP

Rev 4:5
And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

pneuma

Was translated as spirit.... evil spirits... or as angels....

Zec 4:2
And said unto me, What seest thou? And I said, I have looked, and behold a candlestick all of gold, with a bowl upon the top of it, and his seven lamps thereon, and seven pipes to the seven lamps, which are upon the top thereof:
Zec 4:3 And two olive trees by it, one upon the right side of the bowl, and the other upon the left side thereof.

Zec 4:5 Then the angel that talked with me answered and said unto me, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord.
Zec 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

Here we see Zech told of the seven lamps and when asked what these are.... He was told God's Spirit.............. Spirit just being one.

There is not enough information to come to a full conclusion.

If you said God has seven separate Spirits... Then who could argue as seven went to the Earth.

If you said this was just attributes of the Holy Spirit in different functions.... Then you would also have a good case.

If it was important to know about it in this time, then it would have been made more clear.

Jesus is lord.

Shalom,
Praise Be to the LORD!

An interesting article in Wikipedia concerning that. I don't know if I can post it.
Uh Nope Not enough posts yet. lol Just look up Seven Spirits of God in Wikipedia. Not the bible but it might give you a jumping in place.
Hi Viejo,
I have already pass there :)
I think in this I have to leave it to God, If he will provide the answers on earth then Praise God, but if not, may be I will ask Him that one. I doubt the last one because I will have too many questions like why he had to die for me and not just go the other way there, I mean He is God, he could have used another way that we don't understand yet :)

I think Deut 29:29 applies in this verse(s) too

Thanks everyone for your contributions

Zec 4:10 Who [with reason] despises the day of small things? For these seven shall rejoice when they see the plummet in the hand of Zerubbabel. [These seven] are the eyes of the Lord which run to and fro throughout the whole earth.(4) AMP.........

This remains a unknown in the Bible.

The Holy Spirit have been given many Attributes.

<dl><dd>1 — the Spirit of the Lord;</dd><dd>2 — the Spirit of wisdom;</dd><dd>3 — the Spirit of understanding;</dd><dd>4 — the Spirit of counsel;</dd><dd>5 — the Spirit of might;</dd><dd>6 — the Spirit of knowledge;</dd><dd>7 — and the Spirit of the fear of the LORD.</dd></dl>I gave some above, like the Spirit of adoption.

Rev 4:5 Out from the throne came flashes of lightning and rumblings and peals of thunder, and in front of the throne seven blazing torches burned, which are the seven Spirits of God [[3] the sevenfold Holy Spirit]; AMP

Rev 4:5
And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

pneuma

Was translated as spirit.... evil spirits... or as angels....

Zec 4:2
And said unto me, What seest thou? And I said, I have looked, and behold a candlestick all of gold, with a bowl upon the top of it, and his seven lamps thereon, and seven pipes to the seven lamps, which are upon the top thereof:
Zec 4:3 And two olive trees by it, one upon the right side of the bowl, and the other upon the left side thereof.

Zec 4:5 Then the angel that talked with me answered and said unto me, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord.

Here we see Zech told of the seven lamps and when asked what these are.... He was told God's Spirit.............. Spirit just being one.

There is not enough information to come to a full conclusion.

If you said God has seven separate Spirits... Then who could argue as seven went to the Earth.

If you said this was just attributes of the Holy Spirit in different functions.... Then you would also have a good case.

If it was important to know about it in this time, then it would have been made more clear.

Jesus is lord.

I believed brother Mike has revealed these seven Spirit of God in his post.

Also consider Isaiah 11v1-2.

God bless..

Shalom,
Praise Be to the LORD!

God bless you!

The 7 spirits of God mentioned in your quotes are not 7 titles of the Holy Spirit, for there are more titles than this applied to the Holy Spirit.

Since the Lamb has 7 horns and 7 eyes, since we know that there is but one Holy Spirit Eph 4:4-6. Since the Lamb is a symbol of Christ, the 7 lamps of fire (4:5) the 7 horns and eyes are all symbollic of the one Holy Spirit and can only denote His fulness and power upon the Lamb and before the throne. (Jn 3:34. Is 11:2. 42: 1-7. 61: 1-2. Acts 10:38