• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Seven locks of hair

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
In the book of Judges. Mostly chapters 13-16. We read about a guy named Samson.
He was famous for two things. Mostly his supernatural strength. It seems only through God Samson
could do the things he did.
The other thing Samson was famous (or infamous) for... was a woman named Delilah.

Now it seems the secret of Samson's strength was in his hair. ( Judges 13:5; Judges 16:17; )
In the Bible, we are told to "guard our hearts". ( Luke 21:34; Php 4:7; Prov 4:23; )
But sometimes we let our guard down. We are given a lot of armor, but sometimes we let our guard down.

Sometimes things weary us... "to death".
Jdg 16:16; It came about when she pressed him daily with her words and urged him, that his soul was annoyed to death.

Have you ever been annoyed or wearied to death? Perhaps not literal death, but just emotional fatigue.

So Samson eventually tells Delilah the secret of hos strength. (You would think he would get a clue from all the times she tested him).

While he is tired, she has him lie with his head on her lap (how convenient) and she has someone cut his hair. ( Jdg 16:18-19; )

I notice in verse 19 it specifically mentions.... "and had him shave off the seven locks of his hair"

I wonder why seven? ( maybe Prov 24:16; ? ) But seems like sin is always this way. It tries to weary us
"to death" (literally in this case). And then once we give it a foothold, it ties over and over again to
get us to give in. Sin doesn't happen all at once and surprise us... we let it in little by little. We try to get closer and closer to the edge and see how close we can get.
I notice it mentions four times Delilah pressed him for his secret. Then a number of times
after that.. then finally Samson gives in.

Of course Samson's strength does leave him. Perhaps the saddest part of the story is...

Jdg 16:20; She said, "The Philistines are upon you, Samson!" And he awoke from his sleep and said, "I will go out as at other times and shake myself free." But he did not know that the LORD had departed from him.

The Lord had departed from him... and he didn't even know it until it was too late.
In Psalms 51:11; it seems David realized what could happen and repented before it was too late.

Jdg 16:21; Then the Philistines seized him and gouged out his eyes; and they brought him down to Gaza and bound him with bronze chains, and he was a grinder in the prison.

The Philistines gouge out his eyes and put him in prison, to grind at the mill.

Now the story doesn't end here... there is a better ending. God does redeem us sometimes.
Sometimes it takes a period of time to humble us.

Jdg 16:22; However, the hair of his head began to grow again after it was shaved off.

Samson's hair hair does grow back, and... well I'll let you read the rest of the story.

The moral of the story. Guard your heart.