• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Secular Quotes That Have Had A Profound Effect

Loyal
Hello there,

When I saw, 'North West Passage', several years ago, Major Robert Rogers played by Spencer Tracey, at the end of the campaign, when the men were disbanding said, when approached with an invitation by a man under his command:-

'I'm not a man now Sergeant,
I'm a soldier in command of men.
If you ever meet me when I'm just a man,
you may have to use a little charity'

* This made a strong impression on me.

Thank you for listening.
Chris

Loyal
Hello there,

When I saw, 'North West Passage', several years ago, Major Robert Rogers played by Spencer Tracey, at the end of the campaign, when the men were disbanding said, when approached with an invitation by a man under his command:-

'I'm not a man now Sergeant,
I'm a soldier in command of men.
If you ever meet me when I'm just a man,
you may have to use a little charity'

* This made a strong impression on me.

Thank you for listening.
Chris
you brought back old child hood memories, and somehow not so long ago, not even a mouth back, a thought of "North West Passage" movie, pass through my mind, but not the "actors' and some how to " Spencer Tracey" cross my mind too, and The Movie "The Adventure of The Mayflower" and "Plymouth" and I didn't even dwell on them. I know the Pilgrims were "Calvinist" [Puritans].

So when i saw your post i went to "VUDU" and type in "North West Passage" and played The "trailer" :) and "The Plymouth Adventure" "trailer. I saw those movies so many times as a child. on television,
PS. i sure like those movies when i was child, that had or mention "Puritans" in them. Especially "The Scottish and The Dutch" and "Bagpipes" just thrill my Soul as a kid. even now especially, Christian themes. It seems like, they speak to my soul.
Thank you.

Loyal
Hi @PloughBoy,

Thank you for responding.

Yes, films like, 'North West Passage,' show something of what it was like to traverse land which was unknown and hostile, with the degree of deprivation and pain that accompanied it. To be a leader of men in such circumstances must have been horrendous, having to proceed regardless of how you were feeling and lift the moral of men, dragged down by lack of food, and hostile conditions, which brought out the worst in their natures, but also showed up, by contrast, the very best of their natures too.

But that quote I entered in the OP showed the internal weakness of the man who had led his men through such dangerous terrain to safely, for the role he had played required the man to be something quite other than that what he perceived himself to be in the flesh. His uniform and rank required a strength and resolve to be exhibited externally, which internally he did not have. He was a mere man, and was very conscious of that fact. Yet, he put on a show of strength, to see them all through the wilderness, to a place of safety.

* This could be likened to the sinner who has been saved by God's grace, who is asked to, 'put on Christ', and walk in newness of life before the Father. Very aware of internal weakness, we none the less, endeavour to, 'walk the walk', and. 'talk the talk', of one who has been raised and seated with our Saviour, at God's right hand, in the heavenlies.

* This reminds me of a children's hymn we sang as children, 'I'm in the Lord's army',

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris