• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Second life, second death.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
The phrase "second life" isn't in the Bible anywhere.
However we see phrases like raised from the dead, eternal life, born-again, born of the Spirit,
resurrection, and new-life that seem to infer there is more more than the current physical life
we are living right now.

The entire hope of Christianity is that... there is something after this life. resurrection, heaven,
eternal life. That we don't simply... just die and cease to exist.

Ceasing to exist actually might not be so bad. But it seems this is not an option.

The phrase "second death" is in the Bible. ( Rev 2:11; Rev 20:6; Rev 20:14; and Rev 21:8; )
Two of these verses define what the second death is....

Rev 20:13; And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds.
Rev 20:14; Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
Rev 20:15; And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Rev 21:7; He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son.
Rev 21:8; But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

So we see here that we don't just simply "cease to exist". We either have eternal life (the "second" life).
Or we have eternal "death". (the second death). Those are the only two options.
It seems the first life and first death are temporary. Very few people live to be 100 years old these days. But eternal life... well... is eternal.. never ending.
So it seems with death also. The physical death may last just an instant, others
may take years to die, but even this is temporary.
Being thrown into the lake of fire on the other hand.... doesn't appear to be a temporary thing either.

Loyal
The second death, is not annihilation. You will still feel pain.

Rev 14:9; Then another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand,
Rev 14:10; he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.
Rev 14:11; "And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."

Rev 20:15; And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Hades is not the Lake of fire, it is simply a temporary holding place for the unsaved. Eventually Hades itself will be thrown into the Lake of Fire. ( Rev 20:14; )
But even Hades is not a pleasant place.

Luke 16:23; "In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and *saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom.
Luke 16:24; "And he cried out and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.'
Luke 16:28; for I have five brothers—in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'

The punishment is not temporary. It is everlasting.

Matt 25:45; "Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.'
Matt 25:46; "These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Rev 20:10; And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Matt 13:41; "The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness,
Matt 13:42; and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matt 13:49; "So it will be at the end of the age; the angels will come forth and take out the wicked from among the righteous,
Matt 13:50; and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Even the unrighteous/unsaved will be resurrected, their life doesn't end when they physically dies the first death.

John 5:28; "Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice,
John 5:29; and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

Acts 24:15; having a hope in God, which these men cherish themselves, that there shall certainly be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

Where they spend eternity is another matter.

Loyal
Matt 22:13; "Then the king said to the servants, 'Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

A lot of people believe the "outer darkness" is yet another place of torment separate from Hades and the Lake of Fire. I do not.
Most of you that know me, know I was a fireman for about 10 years ( a long time ago ). I have been in buildings and houses that were on fire.
Firemen wear face-masks in order to breath. The masks have clear face shields you can see through. (Under normal circumstances)

In Hollywood movies, whenever there is a fire in a building, you can always "see" everything around you. I guess it would be hard to show danger in a fire if everything was pitch black.
This is not the case in any of the fires I have ever been in.It is normally pitch black. Sometimes you can barely find the flames. You can often feel the heat before you see anything. I've seen one small cardboard box full of clothes fill all entire house with smoke so thick you couldn't find the kitchen. When an entire room is on fire, the entire house is usually black with smoke.
Firemen are trained not to "see" where they are going, but rather "feel" where you are going, because you can't see anything.

But whether there is fire there is not, it doesn't sound like a pleasant place to be.

Matt 25:30; "Throw out the worthless slave into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Loyal
Matt 22:13; "Then the king said to the servants, 'Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

A lot of people believe the "outer darkness" is yet another place of torment separate from Hades and the Lake of Fire. I do not.
Most of you that know me, know I was a fireman for about 10 years ( a long time ago ). I have been in buildings and houses that were on fire.
Firemen wear face-masks in order to breath. The masks have clear face shields you can see through. (Under normal circumstances)

In Hollywood movies, whenever there is a fire in a building, you can always "see" everything around you. I guess it would be hard to show danger in a fire if everything was pitch black.
This is not the case in any of the fires I have ever been in.It is normally pitch black. Sometimes you can barely find the flames. You can often feel the heat before you see anything. I've seen one small cardboard box full of clothes fill all entire house with smoke so thick you couldn't find the kitchen. When an entire room is on fire, the entire house is usually black with smoke.
Firemen are trained not to "see" where they are going, but rather "feel" where you are going, because you can't see anything.

But whether there is fire there is not, it doesn't sound like a pleasant place to be.

Matt 25:30; "Throw out the worthless slave into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
You know that Jesus cast out many demon spirit that were riding people, controlling their actions, perhaps not always all the time, maybe they have to rest from dominating the person, or leave temporarily and then come back. There is a passage (I cant remember where) that speaks of casting out a spirit "into a dry land". Perhaps like a desert, where there are not others around that the evil spirit can ride. And if no dwelling are nearby, the spirit can wonder for some time trying to find someone. Its like a parasite, it cant travel far without a host. With the world the way it is, and the unlimited power of God, I began casting them out into our sun, where I think the gravity well might affect them, not sure, and eventually I decide to keep them from coming back anytime soon, by casting them into the space between galaxies, sort of like an "outer darkness". Its all on faith of course but thats very powerful when casting demons out.