• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Saul never went around arresting people who worship pagan Gods or did the early Roman Catholic Church

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
I might be wrong concerning my assessment but I surely don’t recall such things taken place of arresting, or torture of worshippers of Greek gods and goddesses. Enlighten please.

Active
Actually the early Roman Catholic Church went so far as to have put to death many many pagan god worshippers. They did it through the emperor and eperical decrees. Of course this did not happen until after the religion gained state religion status.
It's hard to decide which religion killed the most humans, Roman Catholic or Muslim, but I'm leaning more to the Roman Catholic. They had a 300 year head start.
I believe that we all agree that the love of money is the root of all evil and money as well as power was the underlying influence to the Catholic blood spilling. Get rid of all other religions and the money and power belong to those at the top of Catholicism.

Catholics started killing any Christian that disagreed with them as soon as they took power, so the Roman persecution of Christians never actually stopped.

They kept killing Christians until at least 1826, when the last victim of the Spanish inquisition was hanged.

Very interesting, PloughBoy.

Looks like Catholics didn't kill pagans, just all the Christians they could catch.

Active
Very interesting, PloughBoy.

Looks like Catholics didn't kill pagans, just all the Christians they could catch.
Lets not forget that the Muslims were killed according to Roman Catholic edict in the crusades. Catholicism under Roman Law was the Law so anything they wanted they got.
The number of other religions that were wiped out is quite high, through either execution or imprisonment and death they crushed most all of them except Islam.
This is interesting in the fact that the 2 main religions of the world espouse different ways into heaven, but neither know the truth of God. "The path is very narrow that leads unto LIFE and few there be that find it." I could conclude that neither have found the path, Islam especially, but seeing the multitudes that follow the Catholic ways tells me it has to be wrong as there be few that find the WAY unto life. Question is what do they teach that is the stumbling block that veils there eyes from seeing the path? Could it be a Trinity doctrine? Could it be immortalizing Mary as an intercessor instead of Jesus. Don't think I would waste my time to figure that one out but both are harmful to the true
Christian.
It is Satan himself that sets up the FALSE religions of the world as that is his job. We know that we are to "CAUSE NO HARM TO COME TO ANY MAN" so neither religion mentioned here lives up to that command. Islam is easy to pick apart for the exclusion of Jesus as the Son of God, the mistake that has occurred in Catholicism is the same as Islam in that they have rejected that Jesus was the Son of God and have espoused that he was God in the flesh. Either way it removes his humanity from the belief system, which would disallow your belief in the fact that God his Father raised him from the dead, because a God cannot die, but Jesus did die therefore he was not a God until after his
glorification. This is a simple truth that eludes the eyes of most everyone on the face of the earth that even bother to look into it.
Satans false Christianity and Islam are clever indeed for he is the one who HIDES THE PATH THAT LEADS UNTO LIFE. ( HE REMOVES THE HUMANITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF THE SON OF GOD IN BOTH)

"PERSECUTION OF PAGANS IN THE LATE ROMAN EMPIRE" I would imagine this is very incomplete, as not everything they did was even spoken of, much less written down.
I actually reviewed that page when I was trying to answer PloughBoy's question.

So, neither you nor I can back up your statement. Can you remember what first made you think it was true?

Active
Well, we could start with the holy wars (the crusades) Christians vs Muslims, lots died on both sides. Islam came in around 600 AD, don't know exactly what time frame we
wanna go back to but, I'll get you something from earlier. Lunch right now

Active
History changes according to the survivors who write it so I can't say that anything I find will be exactly the truth.

Look up Mithraism it was the main competing religion of the Catholics put down about 400 AD.

Christians were hunted down, gathered up and executed. That is not the same as going to war to liberate the holy land. Not the same as levying oppressive taxes. Not the same as shutting down temples.

You're right pagans were disapproved, but PloughBoy is asking if anyone but Christians were treated by Catholics, the way Jews were treated by Nazis.

(We know how many Jews were alive when Nazi Germany fell. We have no idea how many, or if any, Christians were alive when Rome fell.)

Active
You should read the actual THREAD TITLE again it says nothing of killing people. And his initial post only included the word torture not killing.
What I gave you showed just that, pagan persecution by Roman Catholicism. No one is denying that Catholics Killed other Christian offshoots shall we say. Killings were involved as mentioned especially in the last article of pagan worshippers, but like I said history is written by the survivors so who really knows. But don't you find it interesting though that the Catholics were mainly concerned with the putting down of other Christians? Could it be that some of them had found the WAY in spite of the Catholic church and were put to death even quicker than the pagans for proclaiming that good news?

Active
To Ploughboy,

Saul couldn't do that nor could other Jews in his day because they were under Roman governance and if they did they would then be imprisoned, as the Roman cultural religious state was fully pagan. Passing thought.

To Ploughboy,

Saul couldn't do that nor could other Jews in his day because they were under Roman governance and if they did they would then be imprisoned, as the Roman cultural religious state was fully pagan. Passing thought.
58 And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.

Samson2020, I think you and PloughBoy and I see eye to eye.

I am trained by such as PloughBoy to avoid causing offense, creating friction.

Can you create a new thread for that? I hope you will.

I hate to distract from PloughBoy's question in this one. I do that too much.