• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Satan is our Enemy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:5)

Active
satan is our enemy, not other people. satan tries to send messages into our mind so he can stop what God has called us to do. The Word of God is our weapon against satan. But, if we don't learn the Word, we have no weapon. No Word, no power! satan tries to deceive us. He wants to bring about calamity. Spiritual warfare is going on around us every day. He is behind the scenes trying to get people to follow him instead of God. There is moral decline and violence all around us. People are troubled about world events. But Christians do not worry, because they are dependent on God. The last days will be marked by unholy living. Many people will have a form of godliness, but deny its power. 2 Timothy 3:5-They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that. If we are truly raised with Christ, we are demanded to stop being led by our desires and be led by the Holy Spirit.
Peter was an ordinary man, but his life was never the same when he started following Jesus. He said he was going to fulfill the destiny God had for him. When we have a personal relationship with the Savior, He changes our lives. He wants us to stay focused on Him first, then on what He's specifically called us to do. We are not to be concerned about what others are doing or not doing. Following Christ is between you and God. Everyone should be moving closer to God. We are to reflect His plan and purpose. God's Word is eternal. His Word is forever. His promises are sure. We can be confident in the Lord. Philippians 2:13-God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power, the ability to do what pleases Him. Praise the Lord! May God's blessings follow you throughout the day! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyal
Top Poster Of Month
Greeting sister, may I add something for though here.

Is the devil our enemy?

The devil is God's enemy not ours. If we had a enemy we would fight our enemy, it is God's fight not ours.

We are told...

Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. Deliver us we are not to fight the enemy, he is Jesus' enemy not ours.

Ephesians 6:12
We do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places”

This does not mean we fight our enemy but wrestle and struggle against his powers.

We are to protect ourselves not fight, we are to...

Ephesian 6:11-13
Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.

It is Jesus' job to destroy the devil

1 John 3:7-10
Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

As you say sister The Word of God is our weapon, the armour of God is our protection, we are to avoid the fiery darts of the evil one. He attacks us to get at Jesus, he splits families, he does evil and tries to get us to do evil, to sin, he is a liar and was from the start. But he is not our enemy, he is Jesus enemy, if we fight the devil we will lose every time, if we rebuke him in Jesus Name he will flee.

Loyal
The devil is God's enemy not ours. If we had a enemy we would fight our enemy, it is God's fight not ours.
Luke 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

What good is it to have power, and authority over all the power of our enemy if that power is never used?

Jesus does not just automatically work on our behalf if we never use the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God?
The Holy Spirit is the power in combination with the Word of God (sword) that has already defeated the enemy by Jesus's death burial, and resurrection from the dead.

Since we can not "kill" our enemy we can definitely restrict his movements against us and our families.

Eph 6:12 Our fight is not against people on earth. We are fighting against the rulers and authorities and the powers of this world's darkness. We are fighting against the spiritual powers of evil in the heavenly places. (ERV)

Staff Member
Greetings @jaboyle100

Thank you for your post.

We are indeed conquerors through Christ.

I have de-capitalised your references to satan in your post.....that defeated enemy of our
Lord does not deserve the honour.

Active
Greeting sister, may I add something for though here.

Is the devil our enemy?

We are told...

Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. Deliver us we are not to fight the enemy, he is Jesus' enemy not ours.

Ephesians 6:12
We do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places”

This does not mean we fight our enemy but wrestle and struggle against his powers.

We are to protect ourselves not fight, we are to...

Ephesian 6:11-13
Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.

It is Jesus' job to destroy the devil

1 John 3:7-10
Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

As you say sister The Word of God is our weapon, the armour of God is our protection, we are to avoid the fiery darts of the evil one. He attacks us to get at Jesus, he splits families, he does evil and tries to get us to do evil, to sin, he is a liar and was from the start. But he is not our enemy, he is Jesus enemy, if we fight the devil we will lose every time, if we rebuke him in Jesus Name he will flee.

Active
My brother in Christ, the apostle Peter, who experienced his own struggles with satan (Matthew 16:21-23; Luke 22;31-32), warns us to be on guard against this powerful wicked spirit: "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour" (1 Peter 5:8, emphasis added throughout). Peter's sobering warning helps us to realize that satan is the enemy of not only Jesus Christ, but also the unwavering enemy of all Christ's followers, seeking to rend and consume them.

Loyal
1 Pet 5:8; Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

Satan isn't the enemy of non-Christians, they already belong to him.

Matt 13:25; "But while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went away.
Matt 13:28; "And he said to them, 'An enemy has done this!' The slaves *said to him, 'Do you want us, then, to go and gather them up?'
Matt 13:39; and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, and the harvest is the end of the age; and the reapers are angels.

Eph 6:11; Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
Eph 6:16; in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.

Jesus's enemies aren't all at His foot-stool quite yet.

Luke 20:43 UNTIL I MAKE YOUR ENEMIES A FOOTSTOOL FOR YOUR FEET."'
Acts 2:35; UNTIL I MAKE YOUR ENEMIES A FOOTSTOOL FOR YOUR FEET."'
1 Cor 15:25; For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet.
Php 3:18; For many walk, of whom I often told you, and now tell you even weeping, that they are enemies of the cross of Christ,
Heb 1:13; But to which of the angels has He ever said, "SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND, UNTIL I MAKE YOUR ENEMIES A FOOTSTOOL FOR YOUR FEET"?
Heb 10:13; waiting from that time onward UNTIL HIS ENEMIES BE MADE A FOOTSTOOL FOR HIS FEET.

Eph 6:12; For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

This isn't just Jesus's battle. It is "our struggle".

2 Cor 10:3; For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh,

The war is still going on. You are a part of it whether you like it or not.

1 Pet 2:11; Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts which wage war against your soul.

Paul says Satan is still the god of this world.

2 Cor 4:4; in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

He also says Satan is the prince of the "power of the air"

Eph 2:2; in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.

Satan may be defeated, but he's still fighting, dragging anyone he can find down with him.

Last edited:
Loyal
Top Poster Of Month
Greeting sister, may I add something for thought here.
You will notice I placed the post as 'something for thought'. I did so to see what comments it would raise, I also dis so as some people think we fight the devil.

Of course the devil is our enemy, but the battle is with Christ. The devil attacks so to make us sin, to get us to take our eyes off Jesus, to not gain salvation of to make us fall away from God.

1 Peter 5:8 the devil seeks to devour us.

Ephesians 6:12 We wrestle against principalities and powers

Ephesian 6:11-13 We are to put on the whole armour of God for our protection against the devil

We are given power over the enemy to protect us. Shield us from his fiery darts

2 Corinthians 10:3 Do not war against the flesh. Warns us that when the devil attacks to realise it is spiritual and not fight flesh and blood.

Yes the devil is our enemy, we are to understand how he attacks us, why he attacks us, have our shield of faith ready at all times, and The Word, which is the sword of faith. We are not actually fighting the devil but being wise to his attacks and defending ourselves with the Living Word.

I have met people who have said we have to fight the devil, that was why I raised the question as, something for thought.

God gives us the tools to defend ourselves.

Loyal
Yes the devil is our enemy, we are to understand how he attacks us, why he attacks us, have our shield of faith ready at all times, and The Word, which is the sword of faith. We are not actually fighting the devil but being wise to his attacks and defending ourselves with the Living Word.
The word, "wrestle" means, "hand to hand combat" The "sword of the Spirit", which is the Word of God is NOT for defense, but offense.

Loyal
I don't know anyone who is a soldier that never fights!

2Ti 2:3 Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.
2Ti 2:4 No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer.

2Co 10:3 I do live in the world. But I don't fight my battles the way the people of the world do.
2Co 10:4 The weapons I fight with are not the weapons the world uses. In fact, it is just the opposite. My weapons have the power of God to destroy the camps of the enemy.

Loyal
Top Poster Of Month
We are Christian soldiers, marching as to war, with the Cross of Jesus.

But, it is not our battle, it is a spiritual battle between principalities and powers, we are told to wear the 'whole armour of God'

We don't fight! We protect ourselves with 'The Word'

The Word is our spiritual sword.

Ephesians 6:10-24 (NKJV)
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints--

19 and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel,
20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
21 But that you also may know my affairs and how I am doing, Tychicus, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, will make all things known to you;
22 whom I have sent to you for this very purpose, that you may know our affairs, and that he may comfort your hearts.
23 Peace to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Grace be with all those who love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen.

Loyal
Typically the shield is for defense, and the sword is for offense.

Eph 6:17; And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

How did Jesus defeat Satan?

Matt 4:4; But He answered and said, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.'"
Matt 4:7; Jesus said to him, "On the other hand, it is written, 'YOU SHALL NOT PUT THE LORD YOUR GOD TO THE TEST.'"
Matt 4:10; Then Jesus *said to him, "
Go, Satan! For it is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD, AND SERVE HIM ONLY.'"

with the Word of God... which is the sword of the Spirit.

Eph 6:12; For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

The Bible says "our" struggle. Yes Jesus helps us, the Spirit empowers us, but we are in the fight.

1 Pet 5:8; Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
1 Pet 5:9; But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world.
1 Pet 5:10; After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.

I know some theologies teach Jesus did it all. He did all the suffering for you, but I don't see this in the Bible. We have to resist. WE have to use our will to resist temptation.
Every time we sin, we are surrendering. Everytime we give in to temptation, we are giving Satan a victory.

Acts 5:41; So they went on their way from the presence of the Council, rejoicing that they had been considered worthy to suffer shame for His name.
Acts 9:16; for I will show him how much he must suffer for My name's sake." ... Jesus was speaking about Paul here.
Rom 8:17; and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.
2 Cor 1:6; But if we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; or if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which is effective in the patient enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer;
2 Tim 2:3; Suffer hardship with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.
1 Pet 2:20; For what credit is there if, when you sin and are harshly treated, you endure it with patience? But if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God.

2 Cor 10:3; For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh,

Notice this verse doesn't say "we aren't in the war at all". It simply flesh the war we are in, isn't a battle of flesh and blood. A spiritual battle, is still a battle.

Satan is definitely making war against us.

Rev 12:17; So the dragon was enraged with the woman, and went off to make war with the rest of her children, who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus.

Loyal
Top Poster Of Month
Greetings brother

Satan is our enemy - we all agree.

Typically the shield is for defense, and the sword is for offense - we agree, but this does not mean our fight is with the devil, it isn't.

Ephesians 6
We are to...
11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. - stand against not fight.

We are not to fight or fight, it is not our battle...
12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

We are to stand our ground and defend our self, we are given the items to protect us, we are not to fight...
14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints--

Now following on taking your notes brother...
We are to rebuke the devil in Jesus Name...
Matt 4:10; Then Jesus *said to him, "Go, Satan! For it is written,

Our struggle yes, our fight (or wrestle) No. We are to protect ourselves with what God has given us...

We are to be sober because we are to be prepared at all times against any attack from the devil who is prowling looking for us to 'drop our guard'

We are to resist him not fight or wrestle with him
1 Pet 5:9; But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world.

We will only suffer if we are not protected by the whole armour of God, if we suffer, we repent, and God will strengthen us to continue to guard ourselves...
1 Pet 5:10; After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.

2 Cor 1:6; But if we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; or if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which is effective in the patient enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer;

2 Tim 2:3; Suffer hardship with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.

1 Pet 2:20; For what credit is there if, when you sin and are harshly treated, you endure it with patience? But if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God.

We DO NOT war according to the flesh, it is not our battle

Notice this verse doesn't say "we aren't in the war at all". It says 'do not war'

It is simply a war against the flesh, it isn't a battle of flesh and blood.

A spiritual battle, is still a battle, I agree my friend, but it not our battle, we are just to protect ourselves with 'The Word of the Spirit, The Word of God'

Satan is definitely making war against us - I totally agree, but the fight is not ours.

The fight is not ours brother, we wrestle NOT against flesh and blood, we are to RESIST the attacks of the devil. The devil attacks us to make us sin, he does it to come against God, to get us to take our eyes off Jesus.

We are protected through the blood of Christ, but we are in the flesh, our tendancy is to sin, so I believe God is saying, protect yourself my children, protect yourself with the whole armour of God, it is my fight and the devil will lose, I have told you this, believe in My Word, Resist the devil.

What happen with the Garden of Eden

Genesis 3:24 (NKJV)

24 So He (God) drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.

A flaming sword that was all that was needed to stop the devil and everyone else from having having access to The Tree of Life.

The Sword of the Spirit, The Word of God is all we need, the fight is between the principalities and powers.

Eph 6:17; And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

To often people think the fight is ours, if it was, we would lose every time.
We are to let Jesus fight the battle, we just have to believe and trust in him, learn and remember The Word, and when an attack comes, Speak The Truth, speak the Word of God and rebuke the devil in Jesus Name.

You know, the hymn as got it right brother...
Onward Christian Soldiers, marching as to war, with the Cross of Jesus...

Blessings.