• Hi Guest!

You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives.

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Samson

Some how through theological etc. teaching we were taught that it was Samsons hair that was what cost him his strength but this is false teaching!

Take a look at Judges 13: <sup class="versenum" id="en-NLT-6862">2</sup> In those days a man named Manoah from the tribe of Dan lived in the town of Zorah. His wife was unable to become pregnant, and they had no children. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NLT-6863">3</sup> The angel of the Lord appeared to Manoah’s wife and said, “Even though you have been unable to have children, you will soon become pregnant and give birth to a son. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NLT-6864">4</sup> So be careful; you must not drink wine or any other alcoholic drink nor eat any forbidden food.<sup class="footnote" value="[<a href=&quot;#fen-NLT-6864a&quot; title=&quot;See footnote a&quot;>a</a>]">[a]</sup> <sup class="versenum" id="en-NLT-6865">5</sup> You will become pregnant and give birth to a son, and his hair must never be cut. For he will be dedicated to God as a Nazirite from birth. He will begin to rescue Israel from the Philistines.”

This shows us that Samson was a miracle and that he was dedicated to God as a Nazirite. How does one become dedicated to God as a Nazrite? They are placed under the Nazirite vow.

Number 6: <sup class="versenum" id="en-NLT-3805">5</sup> “They must never cut their hair throughout the time of their vow, for they are holy and set apart to the Lord. Until the time of their vow has been fulfilled, they must let their hair grow long."

So let's go back to Judges 13:<sup class="versenum" id="en-NLT-6865">5</sup> You will become pregnant and give birth to a son, and his hair must never be cut. For he will be dedicated to God as a Nazirite from birth.

Look at vs 7 where the wife is talking to the husband.

"For your son will be dedicated to God as a Nazirite from the moment of his birth until the day of his death."

Now here's where it becomes interesting but we'll come back to that.

Now take a look at where things start to happen for Samson

1. Judges 14:<sup class="versenum" id="en-NLT-6890">5</sup> As Samson and his parents were going down to Timnah, a young lion suddenly attacked Samson near the vineyards of Timnah. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NLT-6891">6</sup> At that moment the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon him, and he ripped the lion’s jaws apart with his bare hands. He did it as easily as if it were a young goat."

2. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NLT-6904">19</sup> Then the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon him. He went down to the town of Ashkelon, killed thirty men, took their belongings, and gave their clothing to the men who had solved his riddle.

3. But the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon Samson, and he snapped the ropes on his arms as if they were burnt strands of flax, and they fell from his wrists. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NLT-6920">15</sup> Then he found the jawbone of a recently killed donkey. He picked it up and killed 1,000 Philistines with it. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NLT-6921">16</sup> Then Samson said, “With the jawbone of a donkey,
I’ve piled them in heaps!
With the jawbone of a donkey,
I’ve killed a thousand men!”

Each time the Lord had to come upon Him!

16: <sup class="versenum" id="en-NLT-6942">17</sup> Finally, Samson shared his secret with her. “My hair has never been cut,” he confessed, “for I was dedicated to God as a Nazirite from birth. If my head were shaved, my strength would leave me, and I would become as weak as anyone else.”

20 .....When he woke up, he thought, “I will do as before and shake myself free.” But he didn’t realize the Lord had left him.

So the question arises why did the spirit of the Lord leave him? Because he became disobedient and broke the vow. But the hair isn't what gave him strength only God did.

Going back to vs 7 of 13 we find that God said he would die when this vow was broken. God new he would break the vow but chose to be his strength.

16: <sup class="versenum" id="en-NKJV-6978">28</sup> Then Samson called to the LORD, saying, “O Lord GOD, remember me, I pray! Strengthen me, I pray, just this once, O God, that I may with one blow take vengeance on the Philistines for my two eyes!”

Samson asked for the Lord to again strengthen him, he did not ask for all of his hair to grow back.

Interesting fact: John the Baptist also had the Nazirite vow from his parents to the Lord (Luke 1:3-25) whose parents were also visited by an angel in this case Gabriel to be told to take this Vow. Which means John had long hair.

Last edited:
Sampsons strength did not lie in his hair or in his muscles, but in the relationship and contact he had with God through the Holy Spirit, which was upon him. Jud 13:25. Jud 14:6. Jud 15:14.....and his faith in God. Heb 11: 32-40.

His hair was a token of his vow and spoke of that relationship which gave him strength.

Good thoughts Quenton

Loyal
seems a pedantic point to me. Samson's hair cut constituted the breaking of his vow. To say that this is false teaching is a bit of a stretch.

seems a pedantic point to me. Samson's hair cut constituted the breaking of his vow. To say that this is false teaching is a bit of a stretch.
i was referring the hair being his strength was a false teaching as his hair was a vow..disobedience is what is the truth

Loyal
i was referring the hair being his strength was a false teaching as his hair was a vow..disobedience is what is the truth
Yes, it is calling a false teaching that worried me a bit. I'd happily agree that saying Samson's hair cost him his strength is not precisely accurate, and it is worth correcting it.

But to call it false teaching is strong. In the Bible, false teaching and false teachers refers to doctrine that pulls us away from God's grace and towards destruction.

Peter describes the lot of false teachers in the strongest terms. I don't think this label should apply to a relatively minor point about Samson's hair

2 Peter 2 17-19

Of course if some one goes on to say that salvation is found in long hair alone, then we have a completely different situation on our hands.

I hope we are in some sort of agreement on this.

Yes, it is calling a false teaching that worried me a bit. I'd happily agree that saying Samson's hair cost him his strength is not precisely accurate, and it is worth correcting it.

But to call it false teaching is strong. In the Bible, false teaching and false teachers refers to doctrine that pulls us away from God's grace and towards destruction.

Peter describes the lot of false teachers in the strongest terms. I don't think this label should apply to a relatively minor point about Samson's hair

2 Peter 2 17-19

Of course if some one goes on to say that salvation is found in long hair alone, then we have a completely different situation on our hands.

I hope we are in some sort of agreement on this.
My defintion of false is 100 percent untrue anything that is 100 percent untrue is a false teaching? correct?

of corruption

someone didn't read their bible and corrupted millions of people with this thought

The story of Samson has two meanings for us.

1. That men can lose temporarily and even permanently their spiritual power and the connection with God, through intercourse with women; the hair being cut represents man's "seed"

2. God wanted then to show something about the future;
Samson who tore the walls and poles of that building, is similar to Christ tearing down the gates of hell!

Regards

Last edited: