• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Repulsed by Pride

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
Human pride will be brought down, and human arrogance will be humbled. Only the LORD will be exalted on that day of judgment. Isaiah 2:11

Have you ever been forced, through a set of circumstances beyond your control, to spend time around a proud, boastful person? You know, the kind of person who never seems to have anything to say unless it’s about himself and his accomplishments?

Being around that kind of man for any length of time can be draining, can’t it? Pride is a sin each man struggles with in one way or another. But most men find those who seem ruled by pride and arrogance difficult to handle. In a very real way, most of us find excessive pride...well, kind of repulsive.

Think about it, though. If you find pride repulsive, then how much more so is it for a God who lists humility as a high virtue and pride as a detestable sin? So much so that He tells you, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble’” (James 4:6).

James’s use of the word opposes in this verse carries with it an ominous meaning. It connotes a God who doesn’t just let the prideful man go about his way, but who actually works against him in every way.

Pride is a serious sin that leads you nowhere good. On the other hand. God gives this promise to those who choose humility: “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time” (1 Peter 5:6).

Loyal
Top Poster Of Month
Human pride will be brought down, and human arrogance will be humbled. Only the LORD will be exalted on that day of judgment. Isaiah 2:11

Have you ever been forced, through a set of circumstances beyond your control, to spend time around a proud, boastful person? You know, the kind of person who never seems to have anything to say unless it’s about himself and his accomplishments?

Being around that kind of man for any length of time can be draining, can’t it? Pride is a sin each man struggles with in one way or another. But most men find those who seem ruled by pride and arrogance difficult to handle. In a very real way, most of us find excessive pride...well, kind of repulsive.

Think about it, though. If you find pride repulsive, then how much more so is it for a God who lists humility as a high virtue and pride as a detestable sin? So much so that He tells you, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble’” (James 4:6).

James’s use of the word opposes in this verse carries with it an ominous meaning. It connotes a God who doesn’t just let the prideful man go about his way, but who actually works against him in every way.

Pride is a serious sin that leads you nowhere good. On the other hand. God gives this promise to those who choose humility: “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time” (1 Peter 5:6).
What kind of pride you have is a consideration. Getting all puffed up because of your good looks is one kind or being arrogant because God gave you a certain talent. There is pride in accomplishment that is not at all wrong. I finished my first book and I like the story I told there. Now a sequel in on the board that I think is even better. Am I proud of my accomplishment. Yeah! I learned to drive. I've taught people to handle all manner of emergency situations. I have achieved fifty years at the wheel clocking more than ten million miles accident free. Am I proud Olof that? Yeah! I know though that there are far better writers or drivers than me. Pride in achievement is not wrong, but being proud because of simple attitudes and gifts given you stinks

Staff Member
What kind of pride you have is a consideration. Getting all puffed up because of your good looks is one kind or being arrogant because God gave you a certain talent. There is pride in accomplishment that is not at all wrong. I finished my first book and I like the story I told there. Now a sequel in on the board that I think is even better. Am I proud of my accomplishment. Yeah! I learned to drive. I've taught people to handle all manner of emergency situations. I have achieved fifty years at the wheel clocking more than ten million miles accident free. Am I proud Olof that? Yeah! I know though that there are far better writers or drivers than me. Pride in achievement is not wrong, but being proud because of simple attitudes and gifts given you stinks
Truly, a level of understanding requires one from being pride full when humility is best observed. So, as long as you are not just thanking yourself for a job well done, when you should instead be giving the Glory to God for providing you the means & wherewithal by which it was accomplished! You are doing well.

It's like some folks like to say "Me & God can do anything." :smile:
Guess whose pulling most the weight in that saying :wink:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this brother!

With the love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

PM me on them books! Not that I don't have enough reading to do, but I surely would count it blessing in reading them! Trusting your judgment in them of course :smile:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dave M Sermons & Podcasts 0
Christ4Ever Devotionals 1
Christ4Ever Devotionals 0