• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Re: Praying, Fasting, and Giving to the Needy.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

I made a post about this not too long ago and I wanted to clear some things up.

First of all, Jesus told us to do our charitable deeds in secret.

"TAKE HEED THAT YE DO NOT YOUR ALMS BEFORE MEN, TO BE SEEN OF THEM: OTHERWISE YE HAVE NO REWARD OF YOUR FATHER IN HEAVEN." Matthew 6:1

"THEREFORE WHEN THOU DOEST THINE ALMS, DO NOT SOUND A TRUMPET BEFORE THEE, AS THE HYPOCRITES DO IN THE SYNAGOGUES AND IN THE STREETS, THAT THEY MAY HAVE GLORY OF MEN. VERILY I SAY UNTO YOU, THEY HAVE THEIR REWARD."

Jesus is saying that we must not do our alms before men, as the Hypocrites would do during Jesus' time. If we do something and then go around telling people about it whether it happened 2 years ago or 2 minutes ago, we are telling people to get praise from them. We are sounding our trumpet before men, we are not looking for the key word "secret" here. I don't believe that Jesus is saying that we must keep it entirely 100 % secret, I believe Jesus is saying that WE must not tell anyone, WE must NOT be boastful about it. Regardless of how we are telling someone we will be boastful, because we want people to think good of us, that is why we tell someone.

Jesus when he was healing and casting out demons, was telling people afterwards to NOT TELL anyone.
(You can see this in Mark 1:44). Jesus himself never boasted about the things that he had done, I don't think Jesus ever lost his reward, I mean he gets to sit at the right hand of God. This is what believes me to think that if we don't say anything but then people say something to someone else about what we did, we will not lose our reward. Especially because he didn't say specifically, "If ANYONE mentions anything about your alms you will lose your reward."

He says multiple times in the beginning of Matthew 6, that we must keep the things that we do in secret. I am talking about a spirit of Pride, and I believe that is what Jesus was talking about as well... I mean read some of the stuff he would say to the Pharisees, they were all filled with pride. Remember the Pharisee that was praying to himself? And that other guy was beating on his chest crying because he was a sinner. The Pharisees only cared about themselves.

Peace and Blessings.

Loyal
I made a post about this not too long ago and I wanted to clear some things up.

First of all, Jesus told us to do our charitable deeds in secret.

"TAKE HEED THAT YE DO NOT YOUR ALMS BEFORE MEN, TO BE SEEN OF THEM: OTHERWISE YE HAVE NO REWARD OF YOUR FATHER IN HEAVEN." Matthew 6:1

"THEREFORE WHEN THOU DOEST THINE ALMS, DO NOT SOUND A TRUMPET BEFORE THEE, AS THE HYPOCRITES DO IN THE SYNAGOGUES AND IN THE STREETS, THAT THEY MAY HAVE GLORY OF MEN. VERILY I SAY UNTO YOU, THEY HAVE THEIR REWARD."

Jesus is saying that we must not do our alms before men, as the Hypocrites would do during Jesus' time. If we do something and then go around telling people about it whether it happened 2 years ago or 2 minutes ago, we are telling people to get praise from them. We are sounding our trumpet before men, we are not looking for the key word "secret" here. I don't believe that Jesus is saying that we must keep it entirely 100 % secret, I believe Jesus is saying that WE must not tell anyone, WE must NOT be boastful about it. Regardless of how we are telling someone we will be boastful, because we want people to think good of us, that is why we tell someone.

Jesus when he was healing and casting out demons, was telling people afterwards to NOT TELL anyone.
(You can see this in Mark 1:44). Jesus himself never boasted about the things that he had done, I don't think Jesus ever lost his reward, I mean he gets to sit at the right hand of God. This is what believes me to think that if we don't say anything but then people say something to someone else about what we did, we will not lose our reward. Especially because he didn't say specifically, "If ANYONE mentions anything about your alms you will lose your reward."

He says multiple times in the beginning of Matthew 6, that we must keep the things that we do in secret. I am talking about a spirit of Pride, and I believe that is what Jesus was talking about as well... I mean read some of the stuff he would say to the Pharisees, they were all filled with pride. Remember the Pharisee that was praying to himself? And that other guy was beating on his chest crying because he was a sinner. The Pharisees only cared about themselves.

Peace and Blessings.
Alms is giving to the needy
Its the only type of giving are we told to do it in private.
In this way it does not bring attention to some one down and out or in need.
Blessings

Loyal
I suppose there are people who make a show of "look how much I do", or "look how I give", and make it all about them.
But on the other hand, should I not give to needy or hungry simply because someone else might see that I did it?

When Jesus fed the multitudes and healed the sick, sometimes people saw Him do it.
When the apostles healed people and raised them from the dead, sometime people saw them do it.

I think the real question here is... where is your heart, who is getting the glory? You or God?