• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

'Re-Christen Halloween'?

Eve

Yep, it's that time of year again. As every parent knows the halloween products have hit the shelves and the little ones are asking "Please can I have that pointed hat", please can we carve a pumpkin, pleeeeease can we trick or treat"? The requests go on.

"AAAAAAHHHH"

Halloween is becoming more popular than ever in the UK, it seems we are following the trends of our cousins across the pond in America. So what do we say, is it harmless fun or a prelude to something more sinister?

'Many Christians believe that Halloween has become increasing associated with intimidation and links to the occult, but are caught in a dilemma about whether or not to partake in the activities' (Michael Brown, The C of E Newspaper 30/9/05).

It is very difficult as a parent because the more you try to stop children from doing something most of their friends are doing, the more they feel left out and the more they want to do it.

Before I became a Christian, I held a halloween party for my daughter. She refers to it as the best party she ever had. However, after becoming a Christian there is no way I would hold the same sort of party again. For one, I would not want to be seen as encouraging witchcraft, evil etc.......

'Do not practice fortune-telling or witchcraft' Leviticus 19:26

The Old Testament gets pretty serious on this but in the New Testament the emphasis is on God punishing those who partake in witchcraft, by not allowing them to enter heaven, it classes witchcraft/demonic activity as an evil sin along with for example sexual immorality and envy.

'When you follow the desire of your sinful nature, your lives will produce these evil results: sexual immorality, impure thoughts, eagerness for lustful pleasure, idolatry, participation in demonic activities, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, divisions, the feeling that everyone is wrong except those in your own little group, envy, drunkenness, wild parties and other kinds of sin. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.' (Galatians 5:19-21)

In the UK toy guns are frowned upon and are not allowed in nurseries or schools. Why? Due to the link or possibility that children might then be tempted to go on to use real weapons in the future. Many Christians also view Halloween in the same way. That we are inadvertently encouraging witchcraft, devil worship which intern may be nurturing inappropriate behavior and evil within our children.

An arbitery "NO" is not enough however. I am positive that nobody partook in any witchcraft at our party and at the time I told myself I was doing a public service (keeping the kids safe from harm and off the streets trick or treating). The kids bobbed for apples, my brother dressed up as a giant bat and chased the kids with custard pies. We had great fun at the time but like most parties there were down sides to it as well, cost/damage to house/organizational stress/input of time, focussing on dark instead of light. If I had known of an alternative I may well have encouraged my daughter to do it.

'In the October issue of Crux, the Manchester diocesan monthly, Bishop Gillett is asked: "So should we ban it (halloween) for Christians?" And he answers "No - let's re-Christen it.".' (see above ref)

According to the article there is a very high profile Christian party called Nite-Lite in the Rossendale valley, which is sighted as providing an alternative, it is now apparently still going strong and in its 16th year!

It was only after I started attending church that I became aware of a similar party in our area called a 'Party of light' on 31 October at the Secondary School Hall. The kids could dress-up, play games, have sweats/candy, be in a safe environment and not be influenced by devil images, witches or any dodgy iconography.

'Jesus said to the people, "I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't be stumbling through the darkness, because you will have light that leads to life." John 8:12

This year I plan on helping our church in their own light festivities. Since my children seem to have such a blast at the parties I organise maybe I can put my skills to use this year in a more positive way. I would be interested to read any thoughts on the subject or alternative party ideas, themes, games etc. to suggest for the 31st please.

God Bless you all with light

Last edited:
oh my goodness...ask peeps or mmd because they had some realy good ideas about halloween.

I read it somewhere in a thread here at tj.

I will go look and pm you when i find it ok? kool

Hi thanks for posting this. I was actually about to post something similiar. I would like to know of some ideas as well. As a child we didnt get involved. THere were always church activities that we would attend. And I would rather my kids not get too much involved. I am interested in some ideas as well. Thanks

Eve

WOW, that sounds amazing. Nice idea to put on a production combined with a trail, sounds like a real hoot.

Thanks for your contribution.

God Bless

Eve I can share with you what I do for Halloween. We don't have any kids but we are involved with kids from our church.
We invite over some teens and each brings a verse on Salvation and I go print it up on stickers and the kids put them on all the treats that are given out. Then our house has on all the lights inside on, our christmas lights are up and lite, we have pumkins and each has a Christian Symbol on it. The kids had out the treats and this year I have trax to hand out about salvation. My kids are allowed to eat as much as they want. We have a fun night, the kids are so excited about coming here. They are asking if they can still come even though they are not on our quizz team. Our doors are always open for the kids.

Eve

Hi MMD,

That sounds like a great idea also. It is good to link a positive reward such as chocolate etc with a Christian verse. The children will then associate Christian verse with a positive feeling. keep 'em coming!

God Bless sister

Halloween is not good I find. Its bad. Here in Germany all children loves to go us demon or us devil. Its not christian. The kids goes from house to house and if nobody gives sugarthings they make bad things. I hate it. It can not comes from God. So I hope I make it this years other. I will give the Kids a Card with something from Jesus. I make hearts with biblewords and lollys on it. It be my Way to show that I not must accept it. Hope God blessed it.

Eve

Nice thread on the history of Halloween Sister. I respect your view and it seems we believe the same thing but just differ in our approaches to what we should do on this day. I understand that many Christians want and should be intitled to lock themselves away in their homes on Halloween after all our homes can be an important sanctuary for us. However, many Christians also believe in not handing over any day to the Devil or allowing him to wreak havoc on 31 October. They believe in Evangelizing out in the community, you know having something good and fun (the language children relate to) to focus on and share instead. We are rebelling against darkness in a public way, you are doing it in a private way, that's ok. For us it is not about compromise with the Devil it is about re-claiming this day as ours. To those Christians who want to make a difference on this day; let's us not be scared of it, let's get off our comfy sofas, lets go out and actively save those children!

Remember even the little things we do can make a difference!

God Bless

Last edited:
The Enemy Is Serious

Some think its ok for their children to dress up like the devil or witches and don't realize certain games they play border on the occult and supernatural. This is planting small seeds into their minds associating “fun” with the things of the devil.

We shouldn’t get involved in anything that even remotely has anything to do with witchcraft or the devil. Like any sin it doesn’t stay small . The enemy is very subtle. Just like Jesus warned of the leaven of the Pharisees that grows , the desire for more involvement in these kind of things grow until a person is deeper into it than they expected and do things they never thought they would do. Don’t fool yourself . In the occult and satanism they can't control it but are themselves controlled, getting pulled deeper and deeper and even have human sacrifices. I know what I am talking about. Just don't even get started in that direction.

Last edited:
At the School I work at everyone dresses up for Halloween, the Christian staff members do not dress up. I feel pressured at my office is in with the main office and everyone gets dressed up there as witches, I cannot nor will not support it. I will make a difference in my commnunity Monday night, I will send a strong message for God on that day. Our goal is only to Gloriy God by our actions.

mymakersdaughter said:
At the School I work at everyone dresses up for Halloween, the Christian staff members do not dress up. I feel pressured at my office is in with the main office and everyone gets dressed up there as witches, I cannot nor will not support it. I will make a difference in my commnunity Monday night, I will send a strong message for God on that day. Our goal is only to Gloriy God by our actions.

Praise the Lord mymakersdaughter! :thumbs_up

I thank the Lord for your boldness and commitment and I pray that the light of Jesus will shine through you to draw others to Him!

Celebrate Halloween?

Halloween is celebrated by millions of people as a fun time for kids, putting on costumes, and going door-to-door to get candy. But it is also known as a time of witches, ghouls, goblins, and ghosts. On one hand, some see it as a harmless time of fun and on the other, a ghastly and demonically inspired night to be avoided.

As Christians, there is a lot of debate on whether or not we should participate in Halloween. Is it alright to go trick-or-treating? Can we dress our kids up in costumes on that day? If we do any of this, are we celebrating an evil holiday?

Halloween's Origins

The word Halloween is derived from the term "All Hallows Eve" which occurred on Oct. 31, the end of summer in Northwestern Europe. "All Saints Day," or "All Hallows Day" was the next Day, Nov. 1st. Therefore, Halloween is the eve of All Saints Day.

Apparently, the origins of Halloween can be traced back to ancient Ireland and Scotland around the time of Christ. On Oct. 31st, the Celts celebrated the end of summer. This was important because it was when animal herders would move their animals into barns and pens and prepare to ride out the winter. This was also the time of the crop harvests. This annual change of season and lifestyle was marked by a festival called Samhain -- pronounced 'sow-ane' and means 'end of summer.' Sow rhymes with cow.

There was much superstition associated with this time of change including the belief in fairies, and that the spirits of the dead wandered around looking for bodies to inhabit. Since the living did not want to be possessed by spirits, they dressed up in costumes and paraded around the streets making loud noises to confuse and frighten the spirits away. In addition, the new year began for the Celts on Nov. 1. So, the day of Samhain was believed to be a day that was in neither the year past or the year to come. Since it was in between, chaos ruled on that day. Often, people would pull practical jokes on others as a result.

Later, around the 5th century, as the Catholic Church developed and moved into the area, instead of adding a new day to celebrate, it took over the Samhain celebration. Nov. 1st became "All Hallows Eve" where all the saints of the Catholic church were honored. A later custom developed where people would go door-to-door on Nov. 2, requesting small cakes in exchange for the promise of saying prayers for some of the dead relatives of each house. This arose out of the religious belief that the dead were in a state of limbo before they went to heaven or hell and that the prayers of the living could influence the outcome. This may have been the precursor to Trick-or Treat.

The Jack-0-Lantern apparently comes from Irish folklore about a man named Jack who tricked the devil into climbing a tree. Once the devil was in the tree, Jack carved a cross on the trunk, preventing the devil from coming down. The devil then made a deal with Jack to not allow Jack into hell after Jack died if only Jack would remove the cross from the tree. After Jack died, he couldn't go to hell, and he couldn't go to heaven. He was forced to wander around the earth with a single candle to light his way. The candle was placed in a turnip to keep it burning longer. When the Irish came to America in the 1800's, they adopted the pumpkin instead of the turnip. Along with these traditions, they brought the idea that the black cat was considered by some to be reincarnated spirits who had prophetic abilities.

So, it appears that the origins of Halloween are a mixture of old Celtic pagan rituals superstition and early Catholic traditions.

What does the Bible say about Halloween?

What does the Bible say about Halloween? Nothing. But it does speak concerning witches, the occult, and paganism. Exodus 22:18, You shall not let a witch live. Deut. 18:10-12, "Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD…"

The Bible definitely speaks negatively about occultic practices, spirits, and witches and condemns not only the practice but also the people who are involved in it. As Christians, we are to have nothing to do with the occult. Tarot Cards, contacting the dead, séances, lucky charms, etc., are all unbiblical and can harm a Christian's fellowship with God and open the Christian to demonic oppression. Most Christians know this and avoid these activities. But, the question still remains. Since there are ancient pagan connections and present occultic connections, what is the Christian to do?

Can the Christian celebrate Halloween?

The answer is simple: Yes and No. Let’s look at the negative first.

The Christian is not to be involved with or support the occult, witchcraft, demonism, or any other thing that uplifts the occult. To do so is to contradict God’s word, dabble in demonic spirits, and invite judgment from God. If a Halloween celebration is centered on demons, devils, spirits, etc., I would say don't have anything to do with it.

On the other hand, it isn't wrong to dress up in a costume and go door-to-door saying 'Trick or Treat." Provided that the costume isn't demonic, I can't see anything wrong with this. It's just fun for the kids.

Take a look at the Christmas tree. It was originally an ancient fertility symbol. Yet, it has become a representation of Christmas and the place where gifts are placed. Are the Christians, then, paying homage to an ancient pagan fertility god? No. Not at all. They do not consider it pagan at all and are simply joining in on a cultural event and giving no honor to anything unbiblical.

In the Bible in 1 Cor. 10:23-33, Paul speaks about meat sacrificed to idols. This meat was often sold in the meat market and the question arose, "Should a Christian each such meat?"

Paul said in verse 25, "Eat anything that is sold in the meat market, without asking questions for conscience' sake." This is most interesting. He says it is okay to eat the meat bought in the market place even though that meat may have been sacrificed to idols.

Then in verses 28-29 he says, "But if anyone should say to you, 'This is meat sacrificed to idols,' do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience' sake; I mean not your own conscience, but the other man's; for why is my freedom judged by another's conscience?" (NASB). Paul is saying that if you find out the meat was sacrificed to idols, don't eat it -- not because of you, but because of the other person. In other words, eating that meat won't affect you. But, it may affect the attitude of another who does not understand the freedom the Christian has in Christ.

Is it any different with Halloween (or Christmas)? No. Even though Halloween has pagan origins, because of your freedom in Christ, you and/or you kids can dress up in costumes and go door-to-door and just have fun. However, if you are not comfortable with doing this, then you should not. If you know of a person who would be stumbled by doing it, then you shouldn't either.

Jzslvzu

Eve

Gloria said:
Some think its ok for their children to dress up like the devil or witches and don't realize certain games they play border on the occult and supernatural. This is planting small seeds into their minds associating “fun” with the things of the devil.

We shouldn’t get involved in anything that even remotely has anything to do with witchcraft or the devil. Like any sin it doesn’t stay small . The enemy is very subtle. Just like Jesus warned of the leaven of the Pharisees that grows , the desire for more involvement in these kind of things grow until a person is deeper into it than they expected and do things they never thought they would do. Don’t fool yourself . In the occult and satanism they can't control it but are themselves controlled, getting pulled deeper and deeper and even have human sacrifices. I know what I am talking about. Just don't even get started in that direction.

Sorry, I have not replied back earlier I have been in Denmark, where unfortunately, halloween is also starting to gain in popularity there as well (a country that didn't previously celebrate it). MMD I understand that the pressure is immense for people, my own family feel I should celebrate halloween and because I didn't approve of my own children going to a 'halloween' party they fell out with me.

My belief is to have an opposite focus party or even have a basketball match on that night whatever it takes to keep as many kids safe from bad influences on this night as possible.

I don't believe in trick or treating but many nieve parents and children do. It has become very money orientated in England possibly also in the USA and other countries. I don't like the idea of giving money at the door, I do however, like the alternative of the chocolate, candy, cake or fruit etc.. with a Christian message. I also think that anything door to door (if it is going to happen), should always be closely supervised by a responsible adult.

People just don't realise the danger so it is up to the ones who do recognise the danger to make sure their alternative draws as many people as possible away from the devil, demons and witches imagery that has taken over in so many societies around the world.

Good luck with whatever Christian things you have planned and may the Lord bless our endeavors.

Last edited:
I want to tell you what we do at our church concerning Halloween.
The Saturday just before or after Halloween, we plan a halleluah night.
Where we give them the opportunity to dress as any person from the Bible they choose. This is always fun for the kids because they can get creative. Like one year one child came as a burning bush. And another came as Jonah inside a big fish. We have games and candy and food and lots of fun. Bobbing for apples. Cake walks, toy walks, The fishing door. darts. Alot of contemperary Gospel. and at the end we have a costume contest. We have a hay ride. and a big bonfire for marshmellows and wieners. Halloween isnt just a bad influence anymore it is very dangerous to go to strangers houses in the middle of the night to ask for candy. So I think that most would rather do something in one place anyway. If they want something more like trick or treat, do a trunk or treat where every one parks in the parking lot of the church with trunks filled to the brim with candy and let the children go car to car of the people you trust. I hope this has helped some.

Halloween, everyone dresses up and pretends to be something that they are not, hmmm, kinda sounds like Sunday morning.

Nothing wrong with having fun, but as born-again believers we are to be led by the Holy Spirit, not the world. Look at Mardi Gras a carnival the day before Lent.

These alternatives seem to be just another carnal attempt to draw crowds. You can spiritualize just about anything you want if you try hard and twist enough scripture. With all the schemes and gimmicks, christianity has wound up looking alot more like the world than the body of Christ.

Jesus hit the nail on the head when He said "few find the path that leads to life" in Matthew 7:14.

I have a question also, why do they need to re-christen it, didn't the first christening take? LOL

Last edited:
I don't know, it seems silly to me to have some way of "laundering" Halloween, or Christianizing it in some way as one of our churches does.

I think that we are going to start our own family tradition, which will require much more preparation and creativity. It is based on accepting Halloween for what it really is - a goulish, monster oriented night, however, we will likely be converting our yard into a holy place, perhaps depicting Jesus as he is prophetically seen with his robe soaked in Blood as he tramples the wicked, as one tramples the wine press with a sign interpreting the artwork, maybe give out something along with the hospitality, and definitely asking God for words of knowledge for each of the trick or treaters, calling them to life...

Another good one would be having all kinds of dead people rising from the ground, being resurrected by Jesus.

Maybe one where all the ghostly and demonic likenesses are all face down before Jesus with the caption "every knee will bow before the Lord"

How about one where Jesus is returningn as a mighty warrior, ready for battle...really, there are many things that God would have to say to the trick or treat-ers. I believe that we can meet them where they are at and remain where we are at.

Running and hiding from it Halloween will not do for our family, and I will not distract my kids away from such a grand opportunity as Halloween!

That is just us though, I am not saying that there is no place for the church things, games or whatever. Of course there is, however we feel led to hit this one square on, teaching our kids what the night is all about and encouraging them to hear how God wants to respond to it each year.

It will be a time of spiritual growth and stretching for us all!