• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Radical faith ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
I am talking about stepping in faith but scared because you lack faith.

I am talking about if you trust God why not go and sell everything you own and give to the poor like Jesus says here.
Luke 18:22

Why not cash out your retirement fund and give it all away?

what make some people have this type of radical faith and some not? yet they say they follow Jesus?

Luke 12:33
Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.

Matthew 19:21
Jesus said to him, “[COLOR=#ff0000]If you would be perfect,[/COLOR] go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”
------------------------------
i is he really only talking to this one individual person here or is he telling everyone who reads the bible hey if you want to be perfect do this??

would you talk a brother out of selling his house to down size to live in a much smaller house so he could give away much money, or would you encourage him??

who among us is living a radical faith?

Active
God is impartial. If He said this to one person, it applies to all.

Christianity 101 is work out our salvation in fear and trembling Phil 2:12. So, the question to each of us is, how do we justify ourselves to God if not doing this?

My justification is:

1. I have a family. 1 Tim 5:8 [COLOR=#4d4dff]Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever[/COLOR].

2. I am not living with much excess.

If I was living with excess I would feel convicted by the verses you posted.

[LEFT][COLOR=rgb(66, 66, 66)]
who among us is living a radical faith?
I guess if I didn't have a family I would not have an excuse. Just face the reality of not being quite able to do this.[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Loyal
I have been tempted to do this at times, even started to do it once, but the Lord through the Holy Spirit took away the conviction to do so after so long into walking away from "things" that weigh us down. It was meant to see if I was willing, God doesnt want us to be paupers, he just doesnt want us to be greedy for the things of this world. We must be willing to give of our excess whenever prompted by the Holy Spirit or even if not prompted, but we want to, for God loves a cheerful giver. That being said, there are con artists out there who would milk you dry and try to use your pity to do so when the need is a lie. Use wisdom and the Holy Spirit for the situations and God will be pleased.

the Lord would tell Israel to go to battle and He would be with them, but that doesn't mean Israel can go to battle with everyone they see they should. and when they did without the Lord's blessing they suffered for it.

so if the Lord tells you to live like a transient in the street, then you should, but I never got that message, did you? Peter didn't liquidate all he had, he had a wife and family.
the Lord respects agreements, or covenants, especially since He introduced man to covenant, (Adam and Eve) and Jesus is the ever lasting covenant.

but on the other hand St Gregory the Great (a famous Pope in the 500's) was of a affluent family in Rome, liquidated his riches started more that one monastery, basically started what we understand as monks, was on his way to bring the message to England and was stopped by the then Emperor and made Pope in Rome. a job he requested not to have. he cleared out the then corruption in the church and set many of the rules still in effect today in the Roman Catholic Church. plus there are many legends surrounding him. he also sent St Augustine to England.

Loyal
what got me thinking of this lately is the Charles Mully stori what a movie and even better book. True story

Many goes from being street kid in Kenya, to one of the most wealthy men in Kenya and decides no more business and starts a orphanage for street kids amazing story, 25 years later is as strong as ever

you can watch the movie here for free if interested Family

the book is better

Active
Just thinking further on this. How does God provide for us after we have made this leap of faith? A job, charity or mana from heaven? Paul worked. :smile:

A Christian does this leap of faith / 100% commitment when they become a Christian Matt 16:24. God then directs our footsteps Pro 16:9 and we find ourselves where we are in this moment.

Hence, I do not think it is God's will for us to bail on our current predicament. Highly unlikely. Unless of course we know we are in sin and rebellion to God.

I know a couple who left their jobs and sold all they had to go do missionary work in Russia. A month later they were back. Nothing worked out for them. Guess it wasn't God's will, it was theirs. Self righteousness?

1 Cor 13:3 [COLOR=#4d4dff]If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing[/COLOR].